Im quitting smoking

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MarleyMarl

Proud NY'er
Oct 9, 2000
Long Island NY
Visit site
I just quit smoking yesterday, im fiending for one, so ill post here and rant and vent and stuff everytime i want one.

Gimme advice. Ive tried to quit > 10 times, patch, gum, cold turkey...I always go back. But this time my motivation is amazing. My wife and I are expecting our daughter round new years. Just gotta remind myself that each time...working so far...

C'mon, someone else quit too and post here. This is rough!

MM

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
I just quit too. Six days ago I smoked my last cig. It was 7 years of smoking and I also tried to quit several times and didn't succeed. Now I got a great motivation :) My girl wants me to quit

Good luck, be strong and congrats on the good news :)

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Kick ass, u guys. Best of luck to y'all......I'm rooting for ya. You wouldn't let Pineconeboy down, would you?

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
If you're anything like me then my sympathy goes out to your family and friends. :D

I've tried to quit a few times and been unsuccessful each time, I've tried patches, gum, the inhaler placebo thingy and even Zyban (which just made my head feel phunny :con: ). When it comes to quitting, it's always my will power (or lack of :rolleyes: ) that lets me down.

Anyways best of luck, I know how hard it can be but it's all for the best.

MarleyMarl

Proud NY'er
Oct 9, 2000
Long Island NY
Visit site
thanks! Good luck to you too MEELOBEE!

My wife wanted me to quit years ago. We actually quit together on new years..she quit and hasnt had one since, and I went back 2 months later. eating a tootsie roll pop, yum, lotsa candy and gum for me.

Just gotta worry bout the first stressful situation, thats whats always got me in the past.

MM

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
MarleyMarl,

Congrats on two fronts: attempting to quit smoking and to expecting a daughter! :tup:

Here's a true story for you. A little positive reinforcement. No, it's not about lung cancer or emphysema or the money wasted on smoking...

My uncle quit smoking about 5 years ago. He had been smoking since grade school, and he quit around 50 years old, so say he was smoking for 35 years. Three words made him quit, cold-turkey style:

Grandpop, you're stinky.

Sure, it sounds silly. But those words came from his grand daughter who was about 2 1/2 at the time. And she wasn't making a silly face either. My uncle really never got to hold his grand daughter when she was a baby. She would fuss and cry from the smell. Those three words made him realize what he had been doing to her, why she was always fussy, what he had been missing. In that instant he quit. Those three little words, coming from a little girl, were more powerful than any money or health concerns.

MarleyMarl

Proud NY'er
Oct 9, 2000
Long Island NY
Visit site
Thanks el Gato!

Those are words I dont want to hear, or "Daddy, youre stinky" My mom needs to quit. Shes been smoking for 45 years. I already told her you cant hold your grand daughter if you've been smoking. She cant stay at your place. I dont think its sunk in. Hopefully it will once she's here and she'll really try and quit. (I need her as a babysitter! :p)

MM

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
well, i hope you all have the strenght to quit smoking, and avoid temptation of the smoke :p

GL GUYS/GALLS

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Well I'd offer tips but I'd say that trying to avoid hearing "daddy, you smell bad" is one of the best reasons to stop.

If that doesn't work, nothing will. If you still can't stop even after thinking about it, might as well kiss any early relationship with your new daughter goodbye. It's harsh but that's what'll happen.

Chew lots of gum, suck on lots of hard candy. Not only is it a much less expensive habit, but your health, and your daughter, will be thankful for it.

They say it takes 15 years after you stop smoking for the body to heal itself to the point so that it is like you never smoked at all. It's a long way off, but think of this. Quit smoking now and soon you will be too busy watching your daughter grow up to even notice the time. Pretty soon it will be her 16th birthday, you'll be healthy and happy, and have a happy family.

Best of luck to you. :tup:

T

Terminal {DTH}

Originally posted by MarleyMarl
I just quit smoking yesterday, im fiending for one, so ill post here and rant and vent and stuff everytime i want one.

the first 72 hours are by far and away the roughest since that is how long it takes all the nicotene to get completely out of your ssystem.
think of it this way, after not smoking for a while that first cig tasts NASTY (very very) and will give you a masive rush that really isnt fun.

tha's how I did it. self-disipline, its a bitch but its worth it.

MarleyMarl

Proud NY'er
Oct 9, 2000
Long Island NY
Visit site
Thanks for the words guys.

The worst for me is the 'routine'. Like on my way to work I always had a cig. With my morning coffee(Like Im drinking right now ARGH). After lunch, and before I went home. I only smoke about 6 or 7 a day. But it was those timeline kind during the times I mentioned. Going out with friends to a pub is gonna be hard, then again, when the baby comes I doubt we'll be 'going out with friends to the pub' too often :) Anyway, still haven't had one.
Good luck to all those that are trying too. We will overcome! F*uck the tobacco industry!

MM

MarleyMarl

Proud NY'er
Oct 9, 2000
Long Island NY
Visit site
No thanks! haha, I saw it when I was in High School. And I saw all those videos about people breathing through trach holes and smoking through them. Talking with that buzzer thingy. So no need to gross me/us out :p

T

Terminal {DTH}

whatever you do stay FAR away from those that Do smoke. that will make the cravings intense! if youve got freinds that smoke, ask em not to around you. if they refuse then they're odviously not good freinds. =| Freinds after all support and hold one another up even when they might not agree on things.

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
I quit (attempt number3) 3 weeks ago.
Ran out of patches and didn't wear one yesterday
Didn't have one to put on today and I buckled to the preasure and lit up at about 11am....
OMFG that tasted awful!!! And I have been coughing since. I just went and bought another box of patches durring Lunch

MarleyMarl

Proud NY'er
Oct 9, 2000
Long Island NY
Visit site
Be careful D66. That happened to me once when I tried to quit. I had been on the patch for 2 weeks and I ran out of patches, waited a day, got a new one and put one on. The patch made me sick, threw up and felt like hell for hours. I had to take it off, then I couldnt put anymore on cuz I thought I'd get sick again so I tried with no patch and I eventually started again.

Thats why youre suppose to smoke up until the night before you plan to quit. Wake up and put on the patch. If you wait to long between patches its kinda like an overdose of nicotine, atleast, thats what the doctor told me.

MM