All your telephone number are belong to them

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Copyright: your number's up

By FERGUS SHIEL
Thursday 4 October 2001

Listen up, they've got your number. Australian composers Nigel Helyer, aka Dr Sonique, and Jon Drummond have copyrighted 100,000,000,000 telephone tone sequences.

You might not know it but every time you dial a number, you play a short melody.

With the aid of a computer, Helyer and Drummond have notated the tones of every imaginable phone number combination and, in turn, claimed the melodies as their own. Next time you make a phone call, therefore, chances are you'll be in breach of international copyright law.

If business can claim ownership over the elemental building blocks of human life, the composers say it's only fitting that artists lay claim to the "DNA" of business and are paid for it.

"We're saying to (big business), 'Okay guys, the boot is on the other foot. If you really believe in copyright, you've got to pay'," Helyer says.

"I think Mr Howard will be high on the list. Universities. Lots of corporations. We'll go for it."

The composers say their Magnus-Opus is a playful way of lampooning copyright laws that protect big business rather than artists.

You can check your home, work, mobile, fax or modem number against their compositional database by logging on to www.magnus-opus.com.

If your number is matched, the melody will be played, the notes scored and a direction given to complete the licence agreement supplied online as soon as possible.

Helyer and Drummond, who've only just launched the website, say they've had one offer of payment already. "An American guy tired of direct sales people calling him has told us he'd like to purchase the copyright for his number so that he can stop them," Helyer says.

The website explains in greater detail how the composers went about their creation by throwing 16 tone pairs into an algorithmic generation to produce countless melodies.

"The whole telecommunications system is entirely musicalised," Helyer says.

Pikachu

Sep 11, 2001
killing cute doggies...
Visit site
dosnt the rightful owner have copyright, i.e. the bill payer or the owner of the physical line.

that so, can't we get them for breach of something that is already owned.
so many flaws.

I cant sample other peopls records, cause the sample can be identified. surely if my phone dialling tones are sampled / copyrighted then thats a breach, there fore they have to pay you?

not sure!!

if i was sending out demo tapes, id send myself a copy, this constitutes copyright. To get it copyrighted properly costs money

even if "money" was $1 (not much really)

$100,000,000,000

thats a lot

youd be a fool to invest that into something thats bound not to work.

then again, any1 got a spare billion lying around?

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Heh, I think everyone missed the part in the article where the people behind this mention that their entire reason for doing this was to point out just these sort of flaws in the system, not to actually collect money from consumers. :D