Waaaah, can't get UT to run. HEEELP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

El Bubsio

Oct 2, 2001
Visit site
Hi all,

I've just reinstalled UT onto my HD. The game used to run fine (if a little slowly :)

However, now when it starts it displays the splash screen as normal, then the screen goes black as though the opening sequence is about to start...but nothing. I've left my PC to it for about 10mins in case it's just loading slow..but still nothing.

I've tried ver 4.00 and ver 4.36...nothing

Tried D3D, OpenGL and software modes...nothing (screen goes white, not black in opengl mode)

Tried safe mode with EVERYTHING turned off...nothing

Tried reinstalling game in 3 different folders...nothing

My PC is: (bits that have changed since i last had it going are marked with a *)

Duron 750*
Epox 8KTA3 (using onboard sound)*
ASUS 3400TNT (original TNT)
Fujitsu 8.4gb HD
24x CD-rom
All drivers are the latest. (Det 21.81 on TNT, DX8a etc)

So, does anyone have any ideas...PLEEAASE.
Bubba.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Do you hear the opening sequence starting though?

If so, then try pressing [F11] a few times while you hear it to increase the UT brightness. That might be the problem.

[Ss]|[Dj]

SuPeRsTaR | Dj
Jul 20, 2001
Midlands.UK
Visit site
Well i don't know how to solve your problem but a couple of my m8's tried installing UT ( their system met the system requirements ) but couldn't run it ! And 1 of them got the message "PRECACHEING" ( hope thats spelt right! ) but they hadn't ran the game b4 anyway so thats a bit weired that it ran fine for you and don't now. I'd be interested to see your replies to see if i can then help my m8's.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
You could try disabling the unboard sound and starting in safe mode. My brother has this silly riptide sound/modem card and couldn't run UT at all until he got a SBLive sound card.

It's strange that it used to run but now doesn't. Make sure nothing extra is running in the background and you have all the latest drivers and/or patches (esp. for this Epox soundcard); you've probably already done this.

Besides that not sure what I can do for you, except in your unrealtournament.ini file near the top try changing LocalMap= line to read:

LocalMap=UT-Logo-Map.unr

This will stop opening video sequence from playing and may solve your problem. Good Luck!

SkaarjMaster

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Run UT in safe mode with different parameters checked and isolate the problem. If it doesn't run with everything diabled then I'd worry.
I'm betting Skaarj Master hit the nail on the head with the sound card issue. So try disabling sound first.
If it is sound you can try a bunch of things.
I had a similar problem solved by disabling direct sound in UT.ini file (set UseDirectSound to false)

El Bubsio

Oct 2, 2001
Visit site
WOOHOO, success!!

Yay, i've gotten it working. You turned out to be right...it was the sound. I disabled directsound in unrealtournament.ini and voila. :)

Thanks very much for all your help everyone. I'll buy you all a beer next time i see u ;)

Bubba

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Re: WOOHOO, success!!

Originally posted by El Bubsio
Yay, i've gotten it working. You turned out to be right...it was the sound. I disabled directsound in unrealtournament.ini and voila. :)

Thanks very much for all your help everyone. I'll buy you all a beer next time i see u ;)

Bubba
Glad it worked and thanks for cheking back in to let us know it worked:)