Making mods for UT ... Have I missed something?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

prsFnuque

Sep 26, 2001
Copenhagen, Denmark
Visit site
Hi guys!

I am very new to UT modding (in fact, I know about nothing about it) but i've done a little quake 3 programming...

When making mods for UT:

1> Is the SDK free for d/l or do I have to sign up somewhere? (Can't seem to find it, though)

2> How much of the game is "changable"? Or do I just overload the methods with the Unreal scripts? (note that I might not even have a clear idea of what these scripts are ;) so plz keep the flames at a minimum )

greetings from Denmark,
prsFnuque

phillys

Continuing the Legacy....
Aug 31, 2001
Home @ Malaysia
www.youth-fellowship.vze.com
Welcome to your new home :)
Answers:
1) You dont need to buy anything or download anything to make mods or mutators or map or skin for the mutator. You can use various things for different jobs like UnrealED(came with UT) for mapping, coding(minor not hardcore) and also [something else]

2) You should go around asking people on how to make this, make that and people will surely help you as people in here are EXTREMELY HELPFUL and let me emphsize that, EXTREMELY HELPFUL.

I myself is very new to the Editing skin and you are not recommended to start modding right away since you have to make yourself at home here and feel cozy with the enviroments of UT.

Hi, I am Psychotic Fighta. Your first friend here if you have none yet :D

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
Originally posted by prsFnuque
1> Is the SDK free for d/l or do I have to sign up somewhere? (Can't seem to find it, though)

2> How much of the game is "changable"? Or do I just overload the methods with the Unreal scripts? (note that I might not even have a clear idea of what these scripts are ;) so plz keep the flames at a minimum )
alright.
1) no, simply use a UCC batch export. or you can use UnrealED if you dont mind long loads and unstability. i suggest for coding, using VUC++ or good ole notepad.
2) basically every aspect. all classes can be subclasses, so making changes are simple. in fact, most of the game is based on that feature, its a very object oriented language. UScript is its own language, but alot like java. it has a debugger/compiler, known as UCC. get to know it, it shall be your friend. might wanna check Chimeric ( http://www.planetunreal.com/chimeric ) or WOD ( http://www.planetunreal.com/WoD ) for tutorials on how to write classes, use UCC, UED, etc.

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
Ahoy there, I'm papapishu and I'm a mighty coder...
pm me with any question you can't answer yourself and I'l try to help you out.

Fireslash, Could you show me how to hit the cactus?....
... I mean to do a batchexport.
I've fiddled around, but with no success...

(If you ever wonder, some of my jokes and lines are taken from monkey island, so for full enlightenment, play all four versions about twice :) )

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
I think the problem for our gentleman here is that it is too EASY to code, you know, the best way to hide a key is on the table.
Overlooking the obvious...

I can describe the process more in detail if you send me a pm...
I don't wanna clough the thread with too much personal stuff... (as in another thread right now... :D:D)

whoa:con:
I'm very tired now, but that's how I get my best ideas.
Too bad I'm always too tired to fullfill them :D

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGLE!!!!

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
Well, actually the picture is taken on Lucre Island...
On jambalaya they have a nice little restaurant called "Planet Threepwood" maybe a name for a gamespy monkey island site... =)

It's not my coconut, I just borrowed it from Herman Toothroth...