I cant stress this enough.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
It is about time we, as gamers, unite to show File planet that we are sick of waiting in line, only to get c<b></b>rappy speeds as a result.

I think every europeean/asian/australien/other is allready p<b></b>issed enough, FP only caters the American gamers, all working download mirrors are placed in America, the offer to get stuff on CD only goes for yanks, paying for a personal server is done in US $ (meaning loosing allot of money in the exchange, not to mention all the added trouble of figuring out how much x$ is in xX), and did i mention that the Europeean mirrors never work?.

And the speed is horrid, i know servers cost money and all that, but seriously, i have downloaded from a ton of free-to-use servers and gotten twice the speed on averadge.
Lets look at my speeds on servers in the world:
Scandinavian servers (never enough of thease)= 35-40 KB/s
Central euro servers (germany, britan, france etc)= 30-35 KB/s
American servers= 20-25 KB/s
Australian/Newzeland servers= 18-23 KB/s
Central Asian servers= 15-20 KB/s
File planet free American servers= 8-13 KB/s

Not overly impressive, is it?
In conclution, since the FP mirrors that work for me are placed in the US, i should be getting just about the 20-25 KB/s i get on other yank servers, wich is tolerable, but in effect, i get worse speeds than i would connecting to the farthest regions of the world (from where i am), that is absurd!

I suggest we all boicut FP, and start building a knoledge base of good alternative download centers, we can only do so much, but that would mean having to get less files from FP, meaning less waiting, beeing a good thing ;)

But im not done, first some graphics to get you all started up, i took this screenie a few minutes ago, while trying to download a single-player mission pack for Half-life (UT's constant lagging as a result of my lack of ram got to me :( ), a file of only 8 meg's, something that should be done and overwith in a few minutes on a decent speed, and low and behold, 230 f<b></b>ucking minutes to start download!
Well i wassent going to spend more than an houer waiting for a file that small, so i opened google and started looking for it, i found quite a few sites linking only to FP, but after two minutes, i found a nice German site that had it, and i downloaded it at 22,6 KB/s (where on FP, i bet it would be 8-9 right now).
Nothing has been done to this image, if you are online shortly after i posted this, you can try getting something from FP and you will get similar waiting periods.

MiscMan

The Grand Elitist
Dec 24, 1999
Fileplanet is like a cold wind, only much, much worse, and slower, and more annoying.

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
So was i, Maverick, but i figure just about everyone are sick of this by now, and either way, i feel its a fight worth taking should it mount to one.

Its quite simple realy, im not saying that we should go to war with FP, im saying lets use FP as little as possible, and make a list of servers that people can use instead, servers wich often has the files people want/need, works and gives atleast decent speeds.
Allso, this provides an opertunity to get some region based servers known, so all the euro, aussie and azn folks can have fun finding stuff aswell.

I'll try to dig some up, but im not very good at stuff like that, so my server finding potential is somewhat limited :(

This is a win-win situation if people contribute, if we are successfull, everyone will have alternatives, people outside the US will get better speeds (hell everyone will, FP is SLOW), and the people who cant be f<b></b>ucked to use something that issent FP wont have some of us to wait behind.
This can really only be a good thing.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
*raises his hand*

Oh oh!! I have an idea! Why don't we get everyone on the OT board to chip in $500 so that FP can afford to buy more servers!! Seriously guys... :rolleyes: Stop complaining... it won't get any better. They have a decent system going... or would you rather sit there for hours, clicking the link, getting a 404, going back, clicking the link, getting a 404, going back.. All because the servers are overloaded. The 'line' idea is the best solution IMO with the monetary issues and the lack of dedicated mirrors... :p

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
"The State Of The Planet" is a newsletter sent around to everyone that has an @planetunreal.com or some other form of gamespy email address. The latest one (I got it today) features this.

· To deal with the high-traffic loads, FilePlanet's web-serving
cluster was recently upgraded from four webservers to a cluster of eight high-speed servers. This upgrade benefits pages serving hosted site files, too.

So we'll see what happens, but dont expect any sort of massive improvement... that'd mean doing what they say :hmm:

Mad_Dog

Voice Of Reason
Mar 27, 2001
Soviet Canuckistan
www.planetunreal.com
personally, i love gamespy. they give us a lot of good free sh<i></i>it, but their resources are stretched way to far at the moment, and they'll never have the same level of service they had before again, IMHO. i had a personal server for a couple weeks, and even with it i was just going at 50k a second, not nearly my potential...:( i try to use mirrors whenever possible myself. if someone wanted to build up a database, that would be great. post your mirrors here:).