PDA

View Full Version : Want to like Q3A, but...

M.K.Vengeance
29th Nov 1999, 07:38 PM
Don't get me wrong - I am a huge Quake/Q2 fan, but was very disappointed at the level of complexity/immersion in Q3A ... especially after I got UT.

With the exception of both games having extremely cool graphics, I can't think of a single thing that Q3A (latest demo) does better than (or as well as) UT (retail). Nothing. Gameplay, weapons, bots, teleporter, gibs, taunts, mutators, missions, did I mention weapons???

I think the comparison is relevant and belongs here because a LOT of the biggest new UT fans are *probably* hardcore Quakers who were hoping Q3 was going to be SIGNIFICANTLY bigger and better than it looks like it's going to be ... something more like UT!

More as a sad observation than anything else, I think that unless id is holding back a whole lot of surprise features for the Q3A release, I'll bet Carmack & friends are pinching golden twinkies right about now. Wouldn't be surprised if they delay the release date to add more stuff.

Let me know what's better in Q3A, and I might change my mind.

Watchdog
29th Nov 1999, 08:59 PM
how about we all wait until the retail version of quake comes out--lets give the father of fps a chance here--I doubt they'll release a bad product. But UT is going to be tough to beat (they've got to do something about the flak though--it's to easy to dominate)

hal
29th Nov 1999, 09:06 PM
I agree with what you are saying. However, I will still be buying a copy of Q3 when it is released. But unless, as you say, Carmack and crew have a LOT that is not being shown, then it will be a little disappointing...at least out of the box. I'm sure the most interesting part of both games will come from the communities.

Wedge
29th Nov 1999, 09:22 PM
I've been saying this all along. Unless Q3A has some unannounced features it's going to feel like a really stripped down version of UT. The only feature I see in Q3A worth mentioning is the large diversity of player skins and models. UT has a great selection of skins but only a handful of models.

My biggest gripe is that the Quake fan base is so large that Q3A will still sell millions even though it rightfully deserves to be burried by UT sales. That tellsid that they don't need to spend time on content in their games and I think that's sad.

EASY_Target
29th Nov 1999, 10:23 PM
I think it's nice to have both.
The more choices for us the better..in fact I hope there are more games with the caliber of UT and Q3 being released..as amatter of fact I am looking forward to getting Duke Nukem Forever..I think DNF will be a "cross" between Unreal1 and UT..that's what I hope anyways.

Iranian Border Whore
29th Nov 1999, 11:01 PM
in my opinion UT is going to be beat Q3A only because Quake has that stupid cult following. I believe UT will be the better game, it just has more features. And from what i've seen from Q3A, DM ,Team DM, and CTF, i think UT has the edge. another thing i hate about Q3A is the weapons. They dont look realistic. UT weapons look believable. Probably the one plus for Q3A is the Skins, cant wait to use the old Doom guy /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif. But allas come summer 2000 i will dump both UT and Q3A for Tribes 2.

Iranian Border Whore
30th Nov 1999, 02:29 AM
its true that OTHER quake games have a crap load of mods, but i read some where(if im wrong my bad) that id was gonna make it so that you cant make maps or mods. If its true, their shooting themselfs in the foot. especially with what valve is letting people do with Halflife(i hate that game)...

Twister
30th Nov 1999, 02:31 AM
I dont think so .....

I cant believe that You guys believe someting of what u r saying....
Q3 Arena will be by FAR the best Multiplayer
Action Game of the year 99!!

wanna bet $$ ?

Unreal Tournament is a good JOB ,,i know that
a Cool game ,like UNREAL1 is..

UT have a nice support ,but Quake3 have the
BIGGEST support in the whole internet
COmmunity..
the best thing about Quake are his oustanding
Mods ...
,like Team Fortrees,LOkiMinios CTF,Tourney,Action QUake,Chaos,Supeheroes..,
Jail break , and so on..

How many mods have Unreal 1 ?
i cant hear u !!!!
1 maybe 2 or maybe 5 or more ...

how many mods of UT did u think are Kick
as_s?
none!!

Quake games have more than 100 mods !! more than
2000 maps more stuff that Unreal plus the other great action games together!!
and all will be 100% avaible for QUAKE3 /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Quake fans are More than Ut fans ,,
by 1 to 10 ,, Just wait to see which
game will be game off the YEar !! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
Unreal T was 90% complete in july of 99
that is 5 months !! i was lucky to see
an UNREAL T beta ,5 months ago from afriend
and the game he has it near 90-95% the
Final release !!the visible diference from UTbeta and UTfinal is like 6 new maps and
that is why im not impressed with UT!!
Ut has not make any improvement in
graphics over Unreal 1,the epic team only worked on the playabilty in multiplayer
..and new skins for the WEaPONS Unreal1 have

UT was announced first to be released in august.. why they changed the date ?
i know why .....QUAKE3

quake3 will be avaible on date !!
with no delay ..

UT is a nice Modification of UNREAL1
Quake3 is a totally NEW GAME ,new engine,and new
weapons!! thats all !!

I only hope that Unreal2 when realeased
in the next year make a BIG step not a
modification of his last game UT !!

I just wanna see the faces of all the
UT fans when the Final Quake3 will be
at Stores /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Iranian Border Whore
30th Nov 1999, 02:37 AM
and Mr Clark i agree with you fully. I prefer Tribes and the Rainbow 6 games over Quake. They require you to THINK. And Tribes CTF is alot better than UT or Quake's, it just has so many more factors to consider, like air defense and turret placement. I think quake 3 is going to ride on its rep, not game play. I've played the test and hated it. The maps sucked(not the graphics) and i thought gameplay was to slow(especially after playing UT).

Spaceman
30th Nov 1999, 02:50 AM
I'll tell you what Q3 has too really be worried of, not UT but TF2. Half Life has over 2x as many players as q3+q2+Qw combined plus cool mods like counterstrike. Q3 may have more online players than UT but not TF2. Quakers you better fear TF2! The best MP game of 2000! UT is the best of 1999!

TWISTER most of your points are not worth replying to. At least learn a little before you spout off - you lose credibility with inaccuracy.

hal
30th Nov 1999, 03:30 AM
So, they spent 6 months making six maps? I don't need to tell you what outrageous claims like that do to your credibility in these forums.
As far as the number of mods go, who cares? It's nice to have them to choose from, but it's all in what you want to play.
I'm not gonna cry when Q3A comes out...I'm going to buy it! And I'll probably even enjoy it.

Krypton
30th Nov 1999, 07:59 AM
Yep i totally agree.Ut is a product which Epic should be proud of.Although its good one will find that Q3 will sell more because of it's strong community,but i am sure one will see the true answer at the servers.That is where i think Ut will take the Cup.

Mr. Clark
30th Nov 1999, 10:17 AM
TWISTER,
You're a freakin' retard if you only back a game because it's 'popular'! What the heck is this, High School? (I guess it is for some people here...)
I have NEVER, EVER thought that the most 'popular' game was actually the best game. It is ALWAYS the underdog company that has to push the technology and gameplay to the next level in order to compete with the lame-a$$ 'popular' games.
My absolute favorite PC fps have been TRIBES, RAINBOW 6, ROGUE SPEAR, and now UT. I could frickin' care less if they sell more copies than some kiddie game like Q3, because in the end there will always be people to play them with, they are simply better, more sophisticated games.
The good thing about the 'popular' games is that they will sponge up a good portion of the kiddie crowd, and keep them out of my way! (That must be why Q3 has 'Disney-esque' graphics.)

http://www.planetunreal.com/images/bullet2.gif
"In my business... I have another motto. It's 'Live and Let Die.'"

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 11-30-1999).]

Watchdog
30th Nov 1999, 03:17 PM
Twister you're an idiot. In every sense of the word. It's ironic too because I sort of agree with you.

Watchdog
30th Nov 1999, 03:19 PM
How can anyone hate halflife?

Iranian Border Whore
30th Nov 1999, 05:00 PM
I might buy TF2, it looks to be pretty cool. But what i want is a game that gave me the deathmatch pleasure of Duke 3d. I loved Freezing a guy or Shrinking him. I will probably only buy 4 more FPS's ever(unless really cool ones come out /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif ). The ones i'll buy are Q3A, TF2, Duke Nukem Forever(hoping for old duke style DM)and the one game im cant wait for is Tribes 2. The reasons i hate halflife are.
1) its just another FPS with somewhat of a story. with a random event every no and then.
2) the Multiplayer sucks(i like the reloading, and the ability to control your rockets but past that its lame)
3)Team Fortress. i played tribes before i player TFC and when i tried TFC it was to confined and slow. now TF2 looks awesome, it has that realistic army/marine combat hype for me, like faster version RB6

oh well thats my opinion...

ice_dragon23
30th Nov 1999, 06:28 PM
Wait a secound here....

Why the hell are we disscussing this anyway? I think that each game will have its own strths and weakneeses. I agree that Q3A will get alot of sales because of its cult, but it may be a good game too. I think that UT is great, cant see anything wrong with it yet. Now for TF2, its not supposed to be a UT or Quake style game, it is supposed to involve more startagy and diffrent gameplay. Quake3A I think will be a good DM game, TF2 a great Team work game, and unrealT right there in the middle, it will support great teamwork but also some DM play. Tribes 2 will be a great mix too (althow i think mabey more twords the TF2 side, not sure) So, at any rate, what i am trying to get at is that there not all the same game, or even type of game, they each give us (the consumer) a better choise on what game we want. I dont spend a lot of time on single player, my heart lys in MP, so i am luvin all these games that are comming out. No one flip out over 'this is better, no this is' we all like our diffrent things and all are able to find the weaknes in games other then our own fav's.

UT- Great mix of teamplay and bloody rampage. aleian/futureistic char's and wepons

Quake3A- Good old quake style playin. aleian/futureistic char's and wepons

TF2- Pure teamplay and strategey. Realistic char.s and wepons

Tribes 2- Havent heard much

Well, i guess thats all for now, i am looking at all of them. Note that i havent looked into this stuff much, this is just my opinion. Dont get pissed off at me

Read a TF2 interview Here (http://strategy-gaming.com/interviews/team_fortress_2_1.shtml)

EASY_Target
30th Nov 1999, 07:14 PM
Don't forget DNF..I think Duke Nukem Forever will bridge the gap between Unreal 1 and UT..I hope.

M.K.Vengeance
30th Nov 1999, 07:39 PM
Nobody has said anything about what Q3A does better (or even as good as) UT. UT is PHENOMENAL. I'm not even interested in wasting money on lower caliber FPS's right now (I wasted a lot of money on crap that seemed cool for awhile, but ends up sitting on the shelf collecting dust.)

I understand that now matter how much I like filet mignon, someone out there will insist that pot roast is king. That's a given. I'm not especially interested in hearing why TFC, Tribes, etc. are so nifty ... they're not even on the bleeding edge anymore, are they???

SO ... What are your thoughts about how UT stacks up against Q3A? Don't you think id fell short of the mark? Don't you think that UT is the next logical resting place for hardcore Quakers (like me) who'll want more than Q3A offers? For everything that Q3A (latest demo) has, UT takes it up several notches and then turbo charges it.

ice_dragon23
30th Nov 1999, 08:07 PM
Well..

I do think DNF will be great, always luved duke nukem, beat 1 and 2 (the old sidescollers, yea... remember) I liked DN3d a lot too so i am waiting also for DNF. I do think that UT is better then Q3A, but i havent seen much of anything from Q3A yet so im not one to say. Think UT bots are incradable and gameplay is nice. Mods are the big things that Unreal games dont have, thats because instead of C/C++ thay made there own programming language. (very interresting points on that subject here (http://unreal.epicgames.com/News.htm))
O, yea, anyone think thay should come out with a new hexxen game?

EASY_Target
1st Dec 1999, 07:04 AM
IMA.. (M.K.Vengeance)

is that you?
If it is ..welcome to the new and improved PU forum.

M.K.Vengeance
2nd Dec 1999, 07:13 PM
Sorry - I'm not him.

But thanx for the welcome!

I am keeping my fingers crossed for D4 myself --- I don't think I could handle another letdown like the Q3A demo, especially on the newest episode of one of my original favorites (started out playing D1 on a 286!)

Back to UT!