PDA

View Full Version : Introduction to Competitive Unreal Tournament

Corren
19th Sep 2001, 07:01 AM
Hey everyone,

First off I want to say what I have below is an exact post from the Infogrames, Inc. forums, and I didn't want to retype the whole thing out differently, but it is important to me :)

I just wanted to share some information about the competitive Unreal Tournament community in North America for those that are interested.

We've got a great community, and some incredibile talent, but we as a community are always looking for more members and gamers that are looking to take their game of Unreal Tournament to the next level.

I hate to have to spam a little, but I'd like to share some links to some leagues, some forums, an IRC network, and a couple news websites for those of you that are interested in looking into the more competitive side of Unreal (in North America).

First off, the most popular leagues and ladders in North America:

Online Gaming League or just OGL:
http://www.worldogl.com

Proving Grounds:
http://www.provinggrounds.com

Teamplay.net
http://www.teamplay.net

These are the most popular places for competitive play in N.A.

Most of the teams and clans within the high levels of North American play hang out on the IRC Network EnterTheGame. EnterTheGame is the largest game network in the North America, and one of the top 10 IRC networks in the world.

You can connect to ETG (EnterTheGame) at irc.enterthegame.com:6667 or visit their website at http://www.enterthegame.com

Some of the more popular channels for UT players are #utogl, #clan_o2, #dhi, #vortex (My team :D ), #teamplay, #provinggrounds, and #ctfpickups

There are also some forums dedicated specifically to competitive Unreal Tournament and the gamers that play it. I'm directly involved with one of these, ProUnreal, a site dedicated to competitive Unreal. Our URL is:

http://forums.prounreal.com

We are more than welcome to help introduce players to the more intesnse and exciting side of UT. www.prounreal.com is currently offline while we rebuild our site, but the forums are fully functional.

Additionally, there are a couple news websites that cover our competitive community. The best and most popular is GamePig, which you can find at:

http://www.gamepig.com/ut_news.shtml

Additionally, you can find news about our community on Esports-America, which is run by the infamous Cached, at:

http://www.esports-america.com

Anyways UTers, I just wanted to help show the door to any of you that may be interested in the more exciting competitive side of Unreal Tournament :)

If you want to ask me anything directly, please feel free to drop me a line at corren@prounreal.com :P

Talk to u doods & doodettes later :P

No Soup For You
19th Sep 2001, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the info Corren :) Now don't you want to ask the PuF community for some tips on how to haxz0r your blue ballz to make them explode? We have helped many 1337 players make it to the next level - just ask Arz :D

And no matter what krav says the crouching combo actually originated here with the DuX clan.

Corren
19th Sep 2001, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm not really much of a player, I just try to help the community stay strong and be continually evolving. Anything I can do to help gain attention to our group is a good thing.

JJaX
19th Sep 2001, 10:56 AM
So your like a Forum Pimp of some sort?? :con:

/Runs away into darkness

Corren
19th Sep 2001, 11:40 AM
That's one way to put it.

I think more than anything, I'm a fan. I love watching great games, and some of the people are incredibly fun to watch, and I just want to share that experience with others, and help the competitive community grow.

:cool:

mileena
19th Sep 2001, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Corren
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm not really much of a player,

pffft.. LIES! ;)

|PoT|FaRmErX
19th Sep 2001, 02:21 PM
What do YOU think farmer ?

|pOt|fArMeRx
19th Sep 2001, 02:25 PM
I dunnooooo :con:

he dont play it ? do people just take his word it ? :D

" it's cool man.. its cool "

|PoT|FaRmErX
19th Sep 2001, 02:28 PM
WTF is up with your sig farmer !

BishopASJ
19th Sep 2001, 04:08 PM
pfffttt...don't believe any of these peeps Corren, they're all jerking your chain.

Except FarmerX. He really is a g00f :)

Nice to see someone trying to expand and keep the pro side of UT going.

I_AM{skullface}
19th Sep 2001, 04:26 PM
BAH!! Long live QIII, down with UT!!!

J/K

Nice info Corren, keeping it real, doin' what has to be done to keep UT in the forefront of FPS games. :)

So let's rock n' roll strut n' stroll!!!!

-I_AM{skullface}

Morety
19th Sep 2001, 05:15 PM
Nice post Corren, some excellent sites of interest there.

I noticed you're saving UT according to 1979 for more advanced levels of UT players?

Corren
20th Sep 2001, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the statements of support. It means alot to get support from those you are here to support. It's the sign of a strong community, which I think we have. I'm working with some people from Planetunreal to get some more coverage of competitive UT events on the front page, and trying to get some contacts at epic to help push some information to gamers that might be a bit unaware of the competitive side of UT :)

coolbrz73
20th Sep 2001, 03:11 PM
Hehe, dont let Corren fool ya, he does play when needed and plays very well. As for expanding the player base, I think its a great idea. Corren runs a pretty good forum over at prounreal, it has quite a bit of info.

And morety, I don't think these guys are ready for 79's board yet, that's a whole nother level of flammage :D

As long as some of the other people on Prounreal don't get carried away on new posters I think the Intro section is nice.

Keep up the good work!!

coolbrz73
20th Sep 2001, 03:13 PM
I never really looked at post counts before, but I just noticed I registered 2 months after that M0rety character :) and hes got like 7000 more post than me :/ I gotta get out more :D

Morety
20th Sep 2001, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by coolbrz73
I never really looked at post counts before, but I just noticed I registered 2 months after that M0rety character :) and hes got like 7000 more post than me :/ I gotta get out more :D

hehe, other way around, I do :)

SuperD[C1]
21st Sep 2001, 01:33 PM
Yes, now would be a good time to get into competitive UT.
Just look at all the cheezy moves you wont need to know how to do... (taken from the UTI Rules )

The following CTF rules have been amended or added:

1.73 Combo, Rocket and Piston Boosting will be banned. Rocket Boosting or Piston Boosting occurs when a teammate fires or discharges a weapon on the teammate Flag Carrier with the result of propelling him/her through the sky and bypassing a decent portion of the map. Combo boosting occurs when a teammate fires a shock combo with the result of propelling the Flag Carrier through the sky and bypassing a decent portion of the map. This tactic is reasonably easy to spot for admins, and accidental boosting is left up to the admins for each game to decide. Accidental boosts (where a player may shoot rockets towards a flag carrier and propel him into the air a short distance will be allowed and looked at on a situational basis. First offense in a game for any boosting will be the loss of one capture point. A second offense in a game will result in forfeiture of that game. Additional offenses will result in forfeiture of a match or even forfeiture of position in the league.

1.74 All Weapon-Boot Jumps (including the Piston) are also banned. A Weapon-Boot Jump (hereafter referred to as a WBJ) occurs when a player uses a weapon while using the boots to attain maximal height and distance. A first offense will result in forfeiture of that game. Further offenses will result in forfeiture of the match or league status. Admins should not verbally penalize teams during the game, only after the game, but may do so if they feel a warning is necessary in game. (Basically, all WBJs are banned.)

1.75 These boosts are legal: Team assisted shock pushing, as defined as being moved by a teammate firing primary or secondary shock. Ripper boosting/jumping, as defined by using the ripper to propel yourself or a teammate forward or up. Flak boosting/jumping, as defined by using flak to propel yourself or a teammates forward or up.

1.76 Amendment for future discoveries. If other means of propelling yourself or a teammate are found, they will NOT be legal unless approved by a Teamplay Master Admin.

These changed apply to ALL CTF matches to be played on Teamplay.net. This includes, but is not limited to: UTI events, SW events, UTR ladder matches, IronClan CTF matches. Please make sure your team is familiar with these, and do not expect leniency in future matches for not knowing these rules in advance.