PDA

View Full Version : Is a v3 2000 for 79.00 after rebate a good deal??

[OF]candyman
1st Dec 1999, 03:09 AM
One other concern...he only has 48 meggs of ram..with the voodoo 1, 6 megg card he has no complaints of slowdowns or pauses in the game...with this low of ram is it a good idea to buy a v3-2000? will he have slowdowns or pauses if we upgrade his video card?? his other specs are a 300 amd k6-2 off the wall sound card...nothing running to take up the system resources.

[This message has been edited by [OF]candyman (edited 12-01-1999).]

[OF]candyman
1st Dec 1999, 12:06 PM
How does it run with ut and unreal...my boy is using my old 6 megg voodoo1 card. This new card has 16 meggs. What mode of video do you use it in, i.e. d3d, glide or open gl? Any concerns or problems before I buy this card??

The-Wraith
1st Dec 1999, 12:57 PM
Its not to bad of a deal, although if you keep looking I have seen them as low as $49.00

http://www.planetunreal.com/images/bullet2.gif
I am the one!!!!

Akaimizu
1st Dec 1999, 01:02 PM
Just make sure you get the latest drivers, first.
Outside of that. Unreal runs great with Glide. You can even run it well with most details on a fairly modest system. If only they could produce as good a renderer for D3d. Apparently 16-bit with Glide looks a lot better than 16-bit with D3D. In fact, worthy of the 32-bit D3D mode. There's probably a good reason for such a drastic difference. Just that I don't know it. D3D mode does require more system requirements than Glide. But not that much.

-- Akaimizu

Akaimizu
1st Dec 1999, 01:08 PM
Oh, and remember. If you want to keep the game smooth. It's worth it to have more than 64 megs. Like the documentation says, you can VM page a litle when having 64 megs, but then the paging stops and its full steam ahead. The paging isn't bad with that memory, just annoying enough. I mean, it blazes across your screen with incredible graphics as fast as you move your mouse. Even when running in 2X mode and such. But a 1/4th second of paging 3 or 4 times when you first start a match may irk you a bit, especially when you otherwise have framerates this good.

96 or more megs. (I recommend 128 PC100) No paging, just fragging. A lovely sight.

-- Akaimizu

EASY_Target
1st Dec 1999, 01:23 PM
I tried it for a month for free..I had no problems at all as fas as speed..but I thought the graphics were washed out, close up detail was pretty blurry, at long distances at hi res 1026x768 it's sometines hard to make out player models outline, this was on Unreal ..as far as UT I don't see much differnece in graphics between UT and Unreal between Voodoo3-2000 and the TNT2 I am usin now.

The TNT2 does seem to give more contrast between colours, more defined shape and higher detail on close up objects as compared to Voodoo3..the Voodoo 3 was faster ..but with the TNT2 I get frame minimum average rates over 40FPs..so I am not complaining.

Try the new TNT2 Cougar from Guillemot,w32 mb ram..it's about same price as Voodoo3-2000.
The only diff between cougar and Viper 770 is the cougar uses a 64 MB bus and the Viper uses 128MB bit bus..but the $$$ is way cheaper for the Cougar.

As far as drivers I used the glide for Voiodoo, best setup.

Cougar is good for D3D..works well for me in Unreal,Tribes and UT...these are all glide based games

[This message has been edited by EASY_Target (edited 12-01-1999).]

Wingznut PEZ
1st Dec 1999, 01:34 PM
I have a Voodoo3 and absolutely love it. Of course, I have never used a TNT2, but after seeing how many complaints there are regarding poor UT performance with a TNT2, I would not buy one as long as UT was my primary game.

http://www.planetunreal.com/images/bullet2.gif
Wingznut [PEZ]
ICQ #29598363