Demo (alpha)????

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kail

mapper, designer and unreal fan
Feb 3, 2001
Sweden
Visit site
If I wanted the alpha, I could get it very easily but I won't spoil the future experience by playing a lousy pre alpha release. I will play the real game when it's released, in the box!

L

LeonTheProfi

Why not ??

Hi all !

Well, I really can´t understand u all !
Why don´t try the alpha ?
Do you also don´t play any demos or tests ?
Just remember the multyplayer test of serious sam !
It also wasn´t any demo or something, but it showed the actually stand of the development !
Okay, it´s stolen, but where´s the different between I play it on the E3 or at home ?
Most of us (me included) can´t visit the E3 and also many of the visitors of the E3 couldn´t try it because the traffic !
So I try it at home like I watch a film.

But, the one thing U ALL SHOULD REMEMBER :

EVERYONE who decided to download 560 MB also WILL BUY the game when it´s released !

Cy@

Leon

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Re: Why not ??

Originally posted by LeonTheProfi
Hi all !

Well, I really can´t understand u all !
Why don´t try the alpha ?
Do you also don´t play any demos or tests ?
Just remember the multyplayer test of serious sam !
It also wasn´t any demo or something, but it showed the actually stand of the development !
Okay, it´s stolen, but where´s the different between I play it on the E3 or at home ?
Most of us (me included) can´t visit the E3 and also many of the visitors of the E3 couldn´t try it because the traffic !
So I try it at home like I watch a film.

But, the one thing U ALL SHOULD REMEMBER :

EVERYONE who decided to download 560 MB also WILL BUY the game when it´s released !

Cy@

Leon

I guess it's sort of an ethical dilemna. It's not a demo at all ( as you know ), but stolen property. On one hand, I want to grab it and try it out because I'm dying to get Legend's Unreal2. On the other hand, it's not Unreal2 at all, but a stolen demonstration.

Bottom line is it's stolen, and you won't get it here.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Yeah the good old sam test, released back in what.. june or july 1999.. :)
Kickass :D

One thing I don't like about sam though --- player speed :(
ruins the game

L

LeonTheProfi

I don´t want to get it, I already have and play it !

I don´t understand what u mean with "stolen" ?
Did Epic plan to sell it ? (I mean the alpha version)
No, the only thing was to show the users a small part of the coming game. No more, no less.

U could play (better word would be "try") it on the E3 for free.
So why to hell can´t I play / try it at home ?
If I would get 2 the E3 to see / play my most favorite upcoming game, I had to travel around the half world !!

Like u see, every real Unreal fan would give everything to try this "demo", incl. me !

Believe me... If I could buy a copy of the "demo" I would buy it too !!

Don´t be so agressive only because people are having a look at a early version of their favo. game !
Be honest to yourself : If you are (!) a real Unreal 2 Fan, you would like to get this alpha or just play it yourself for one time !

Fact is :
Epic will not lost any cent because the alpha is released in the web !
They will get more customers as before the alpha, because it´s really impressive and after playing this alpha you just must buy this fantastic game !! You just can´t do other, you must !

So, because I also (since long) decided to buy it, I feel free to test it like I were on the E3. I think this is okay, isn´t it ?

Cy@

Leon

Kail

mapper, designer and unreal fan
Feb 3, 2001
Sweden
Visit site
Legend is afraid that their game will be unfairly judged because of the low quality of this leak.
Personally I don't think the news that a pre-alpha was leaked has lowered my expectations for the game. I think it makes it even more fun reading about the latest achievements by Legend and their staff. They're doing something new and awesome and we know that so why wouldn't we be curious about it, huh?

We are all human, after all.

But a website such as planetunreal.com cannot go against Legend's"official line" in this matter. They would lose support from Legend and Epic, and they wouldn't get any sneak peek stuff to share with us fans which would, eventually, kick back right back at ourselves!

But don't fight those who want the alpha, I can fully understand them, I just think the PU admins are doing the right thing under the current circumstances.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
The alpha was shown behind closed doors to only a few people at E3. Not everyone could see it.

Anyway, I'm sure that anyone who was gonna buy U2 would want to buy it even more after seeing the alpha. That's not the point, though.

Say, for example, the alpha has a really good feature that Legend was keeping secret until the full game, or at least the demo, came out. Now that the alpha is leaked, another company could get it from somewhere, steal the idea and say "what alpha? We had this in our game all along!" It makes Legend look like copycats when it was their idea in the first place!

According to Grant Roberts, the alpha was designed to show off head and eye tracking. If you've seen the alpha, and consequently see that technology in another game released in the next 6-12 months, don't be surprised when 2+2 suddenly equals 4. The same could be said of the art style too.

Two things are bugging me, though. Firstly, who the hell leaked this in the first place? (They probably won't own up, because their job would be at risk).

Secondly, all these warez sites thinking they're all that because they can claim "we have the leaked Unreal 2 alpha!" under all those popups and fake links. I hope Legend systematically shuts each of them down for good.

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
Originally posted by LeonTheProfi
Fact is :
Epic will not lost any cent because the alpha is released in the web !
They will get more customers as before the alpha, because it´s really impressive and after playing this alpha you just must buy this fantastic game !! You just can´t do other, you must !

First I didnt play and dont want to play the alpha. But I did look at the screenshots - I couldnt resist :hmm:

Epic is not losing any thing in terms of monetary benefit.
Kail Legend is afraid that their game will be unfairly judged because of the low quality of this leak.

Exactly !!!. And I was one of them :(. after seeing the screenshots I went around saying that the aida screenies looked really bad. This was without realising that they were in fact just place holders, and not even how the final skin would look like.

The point of the matter is Kevin "rorasch" a Legend artist posted that the people (artists mainly ) were feeling discouraged by the comments that some people were putting out on the net. EVEN with all the good comments coming in :(