DM-INF-RiverStrike Beta

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

vee

Mapah
Jun 23, 2001
Finland
www.planetunreal.com
Here it is, RiverStrike beta I've been working on for few weeks. Ofcourse it is terrain based map with lots and lots of outdoor combat and foliage. There is small BSP hole in base that im already aware off, but all suggestions/reports/praise/rants are welcome.

Download link: http://veemaps.homestead.com/files/Riverstrike-beta.zip

For some old pics: http://veemaps.homestead.com/index.html

pimpage.jpg

V

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
nice map, i liked the open terrain with a smooth framerate...
-those gasoline canisters in the underground should explode when shot
-there is a bsp-error in the underground, it's one of the walls
-the underground could take some more eyecandy [maybe more detail objects, lightboxes, etc.]
-the trees look a bit blocky, maybe you could add more sheets to them if the framerate allows it
-those light 'sticks' near the buildings look a bit weird, there are coronas but there's no lightsource

Styx_Surfer

Pictor Habilis
Apr 17, 2000
Sweden
www.styxgraphics.com
For your next map, how about exploring the "battle over river" concept some more...? I think it holds great potential... If I could decide, I'd say delete the whole underground level and make the river area more detailed :) That's where all the action is anyway...
But that may be a bit too drastic, being all the work you've put into the underground level...
Other feedback: The trees look a bit odd, like they're all lit up and everything else is dark. Could be my vid. card though...
All in all, great map dude!

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Nicely done

I enjoyed testing this map. The river boundary was a nice touch. I agree with reaper that the basement need more eyecandy/objects. And maybe the building up top too. Maybe like some desks and filecabinets or something. The only thing was the fence texture could use some downscaling. I've never seen any that big:) Looking forward to the completed version. Great work.
Jaymian

vee

Mapah
Jun 23, 2001
Finland
www.planetunreal.com
Originally posted by -reaper-
-the underground could take some more eyecandy (maybe more detail objects, lightboxes, etc.)

Yea, I will add some stuff there for final version.

-the trees look a bit blocky, maybe you could add more sheets to them if the framerate allows it

Trees are meshes, and meshcounts are already at the limits, so I doubt I'll do it

-those gasoline canisters in the underground should explode when shot

They are empty :)

-those light 'sticks' near the buildings look a bit weird, there are coronas but there's no lightsource

Ay, I'll fix this

Originally posted by StyxSurfer

For your next map, how about exploring the "battle over river" concept some more...? I think it holds great potential... If I could decide, I'd say delete the whole underground level and make the river area more detailed That's where all the action is anyway...

Details that are at interiors dont affect detail levels I can have around river, so even if I deleted whole undeground, it wouldnt add any noticable speed to other areas.

But that may be a bit too drastic, being all the work you've put into the underground level...

Naaw, it wasnt that hard :)

Other feedback: The trees look a bit odd, like they're all lit up and everything else is dark. Could be my vid. card though...
All in all, great map dude!

Yup, trees show weirdly lit on me too, propably because they are meshes. If anyone knows how this could be fixed, help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Jaymian
And maybe the building up top too. Maybe like some desks and filecabinets or something. The only thing was the fence texture could use some downscaling. I've never seen any that big

I will put some work on interiors, and you are right, fence needs scaling down.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

V

Last edited:

-kain-

lurker
Apr 3, 2001
England
to lower the brightness of the trees (and all meshes) go into their properties when they are in the map, and set the ambient_glow to 0.3 or less (in display).