Windows accessing the internet behind my back?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LordSpoon

plastic fork! my name is plastic fork dammit!
Nov 7, 2000
It keeps happening, ever week or two a new windows program or dll is trying to access the internet in the background.

Kernell32.dll just wont leave me alone, as soon as I turn on my computer, it shows up in my firewall as blocked traffic, I blocked it ages ago and noticed no difference to how my PC runs, but recently I walked in and saw the bloody 3D flower box screensaver trying to do something online I got really suspicious.

What the hell are they trying to pull? I know I dont have a virus, I've scanned my computer several times trying to figure out what's going on.

Oh yeah, and if anyone knows what the f</b>uck Kernell32 is meant to do, please enlighten me.

sorry about the big jpeg

Edit- I forgot to highlight MsWord which is also trying to access the net, why the hell does a word processor need to access the net?

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
I doubt it but by reasons of logic if it's not the equipment that's busted, but the damn sensor telling you it is.

Maybe its your firewall. Maybe you have spy ware, maybe you have a trojan. (different from a virus).. heck maybe the CIA/FBI is check'n you out. Maybe it's windows.. who knows.

Kernel32 is (i'm far from a techy) like the instruction set that windows is using. Or maybe that's something else.. in either case it's directly related to your OS.

Never trust any of those "freeware" programs like Imesh.. they're full of nasties that track you. The programs are quite free, you pay with privacy.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
"Never trust any of those "freeware" programs like Imesh.. they're full of nasties that track you. The programs are quite free, you pay with privacy."

There's a difference between real freeware and adware. Sadly, most adware calls itself freeware. You have to find out what you are dealing with.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
One tip : make sure you've disabled 'file & printer-sharing' for the networkcard that's connected to your modem, because that might be part of the reason Windows tries to access 'the internet'.
Only "TCP/IP" should be available to that part of your system.

The site http://grc.com/default.htm has a portscanner on-line, which at least should show you if any of the common ports are open.

I know I needed to block a program that IIRC was part of DirectX.
// ---

Kernel32.dll = the 'heart' of the Windows-OS.
It's often the part that's listed if any other program/driver on your system crashes.

SPR220

Aug 31, 2001
USA
Visit site
Download Ad-Aware, it scans your computer for all known spyware. My computer was bogged down with spyware and it slowed down everything to a halt, especially if I tried to play a game online. After I ran Ad-Aware and deleted all existing spyware on my computer, it was more stable than any computer I've seen. You can get ad-aware at www.lavasoftusa.com i think.

Hypenotist

Catharsis hypothesis
Mar 15, 2001
You have some kind of whack screensaver that wants to connect to the internet to do whatever get new flowers or send your info to a log somewhere in some ceo's office, I'd get rid of that crap and get the ad-aware. Problem solved. Your lucky back in 96 I had a dumbass friend plant back orrifice 2000 on my laptop as a joke so he could mess with me and I ended up getting stuff erased from my system folder-after that I switched to Mac for a few years up untill a few months ago when I finally came back to Winblows to play more games.

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
hehe...

I'm partially with RL on this one...

But I doubt if MS would be tracking every individual user... more likely Bill would farm everyone's compute power to predict the stock market.

The FBI/CIA//NSA/Trilateral Commission/Rosicrucians angle sounds pretty plausible too :D

I haven't checked in a while, but my pc used to spin up the HD every morning at exactly 5:30/6:30 (depending on Daylight Savings) All scheduled tasks and virus scanners etc disabled... creepy.

I was talking with my bro about this kinda thing a while ago and he says Windows machines normally chatter a bit with file and print sharing as A_Rimmerlister said, but he could think of no explanation for the disks spinning up... and I'm sure he'd be VERY suspicious about the screen saver accessing the internet.

actually I think I'll email this to him...

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by CAVERNA2K
format your computer. U´ve got a virus/trojan.
IF you can't trace the problem, then formatting your HDD and re-installing Windows might solve all your problems.
Altough it's not the most efficient way of solving your problems ... :rolleyes:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
"format your computer. U´ve got a virus/trojan."

:rolleyes:

Im realy glad we can have :rolleyes: in the title now.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:p