PDA

View Full Version : UT going down the tubes like unreal did?

BirddoG
30th Nov 1999, 02:13 AM
two different games that the only thing in common it seems is that they are all multiplayer games. in Q3 you play to have VERY fast high energy frag fests with rockets and aliens and lots of gibbin,
UT has frag fests and stuff i think people really enjoy the CTF, DOM, and ASSULT side of the game more then the simple DM.
so basically people like these two games for two different reason even though they are close related. q3 seems to be for crazy FFAs while UT is for team play
its all personal taste
As for Q3 the graphics are a HUGE improvement from the other quakes but that should be expected
The Unreal graphics engine was great from the start, and UT is no exception.
I personaly believe that UT has better graphics then Q3 and has better team play but Seriously when it comes to HIGH action DeathMatching, even the die-hard Unreal fans should see that Q3 is better for that sorta thing.
But another thing is that DM has been done to death and i feel that people are wanting some thing else then crazy DMs
UT has started this change and i feel that what will complete this turn around is Team Fortress 2
anyhow this was all in my own opion and if you feel to say agaist these, please state facts and just dont say UT SUCKS!!! Q3 4 LIFE BABY!!!!

Steve18
30th Nov 1999, 02:16 AM
Does anyone else feel sorry for the guys at Epic games, they work really hard on a mega game. And yet it is still going to make less money than Q3A, because of it's ever growing cult of worshippers who buy everything and anything Quake related.Even though (in my opinion) UT is the better game.

Not to say UT doesn't have its problems

All im saying is that we should give the guys at Epic credit for making such a good quality game.

[This message has been edited by Steve18 (edited 11-30-1999).]

Spaceman
30th Nov 1999, 02:35 AM
Wollfman gives the typical Quaker responce to alt-fire - it kills weapon balance. Of course if he actually learned how to use it and how to defend against it he would not be whining.
Of course I guess 2 modes of fire is to complicated for quakers.

BirddoG
30th Nov 1999, 02:42 AM
Totaly agree with you Steve
will q3 win game of the year?
of course but that dosnt mean its the best game of the year, it just means it has quake in the name
all the mags and crap are pushing for q3
look at pc accerator
they put like 8 pages of q3 an issue and like 1 or even a half of a page for UT

PissballPeat
30th Nov 1999, 08:54 AM
512 players in Gamespy .
That is 300 less then friday
200 less then saturday
and 200 less then yesterday!!!!!!

And get this, 198 of them were onservers all by them selves!!

almost half of them were listen servers with the server admin
sleeping or somthing.
Looks like UT is going the way of Unreal /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

SecurityGuard
30th Nov 1999, 09:04 AM
nope. i don't care about how many players there are, as long as i find a server im in

http://www.planetunreal.com/images/bullet2.gif
Blue team wins with a score of 129102991201!!!

MRHYDE
30th Nov 1999, 09:07 AM
Wow, the haunting feeling that this was posted by our friend and mentor. Ima sure that it can not be him. Yet the use of stats, which is his style... a copycat? Who cares, a lot of people are playing against bots trying to learn the levels.

EASY_T
30th Nov 1999, 09:13 AM
I played last night ..there were about 1100 players ..this morning I think it was about 150..
The time of day makes abig difference, as most people are in school or working.

Meister
30th Nov 1999, 09:15 AM
First, the problem is some of the good demo servers haven't been converted over yet(come on people get with it). Second, people can't spend 24 hrs a day on the game(although some will disagree). Third, for some reason, stores like EB didn't give it much shelf space. when I went in to buy it the first day, they had maybe 4 copies placed side by side, like on a bookshelf(only the side of the package showed), instead of placing then so the front of the box faces out. I almost missed in on the shelf(ID probably paid them off to do this). Fourth, people are brainwashed into thinking Q3A is going to be this awesome game(why, I don't know cause IMO, Q3A = Q2+more eye candy). When it comes out and people see how bad it really is, they will come on over to UT, especially at the prices UT is being offered for now($29.95)

By the way, everytime I want to play, all the servers I want to play on are jam packed(8 or 9 servers), so someone is playing.

[This message has been edited by Meister (edited 11-30-1999).]

EASY_Target
30th Nov 1999, 09:16 AM
As a matter of fact I have been playing off-line against the bots..at least the games last longer,it really is a drag when the online games sometimes only last a minute or two.

Mr. Clark
30th Nov 1999, 09:56 AM
DUH!
Look at what you said!
Look at the days of the week...
Have you no brain???
Besides, when I played last night there were over 1000 players.

I personally have been spending sooooo much time playing SP that I have not even felt the need to go online that often! In my opinion, that's a GOOD thing.

Sigh... you're just another worried little Q3 'er who is upset because all the reviews are saying UT kicks Q3's A$$. he he.

"In my business... I have another motto. It's 'Live and Let Die.'"

Spaceman
30th Nov 1999, 10:45 AM
HELLO you post here at 7 am on a Tuesday morning and expect a lot of players. a lot of us are getting ready for work and are at work all day. Why not check the stats tonight. Over the weekend UT actually had 2000 players and beat Q3A. Next time think before you post.

L_S
30th Nov 1999, 11:00 AM
Yes, that sounds eerily like something Ima would say.

You got a problem with what I gotta say? Click here please. (http://members.xoom.com/longshaft/biteme.htm)

hal
30th Nov 1999, 11:21 AM
Agreed. A lot of people are learning the levels right now, as evidenced by the fact that 4 or 5 people on every server have that annoying (but kinda cool) boss skin on.

UT is too good of a game and word of mouth will get out, so I for one am not worried. The EB I bought my copy at said they only got half of their initial shipment in. It IS curious that they didn't have any promotional material in the windows, though.

Now that I think about it, (trying not to be a conspiracist) there didn't seem to be as much coverage by the press for UT as was deserved. All you heard was "following Unreal's abysmal net-play...." . Yeah, like 2 years ago when it was released! It's been fixed forever.

Just my Opinion.

SecurityGuard
30th Nov 1999, 11:39 AM
I hate that freaking boss skin, the voice is annoying. the model is ok, though.

MaleSoldier\Malcom all the way, baby /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

Blue team wins with a score of 129102991201!!!

BillyBadAss
30th Nov 1999, 12:04 PM
I can't wait for Q3 to come out. All of you Quakers will buy it and find out you just bought more of the same. The Demo's maps suck by the way. They are small and boring.

Steve18
30th Nov 1999, 12:43 PM
Does anyone know if Q3A has even an alternate fire?

can't remember there being one in the demo i got quite a while back,but deleted because it was boring.

BillyBadAss
30th Nov 1999, 12:59 PM
It doesn't have a alt fire. That is how lame the game really is.

wolffman
30th Nov 1999, 01:20 PM
Hey Billy Quake 3 is more balanced then UT is. Alternate fire doesnt make a game good man. I play the q3 demo more than i play UT. It takes more skill in Q3 let alone the weapons are more balanced. Also the armor and health is done better in Q3. Unlike UT if u have the shield-mega health-armor u are pretty much invincible not i quake ur stats slowly go down. I guess ur are bashing Q3 because u cant rail anyone.
O well.

Also look at how bugging UT is man.
Is there anyone not having a problem with the game??????

Munro
30th Nov 1999, 01:26 PM
I am NOT having any problems with UT, my brother on the other hand...

Anyways, UT is a great fun game. Lots of goodness to be had, and the stat system (personally) is a GREAT feature... The maps are really unique, making me say WHOAH every time I see a new one (which still happens once a day, even after a week!). Q3 demo is also good, and LOOKS amazing. It is fast and furious, however, I don't see it being much other than rocket arena quake. Almost every game I am in becomes rocket fest. I realize that the real game will have more weapons, but I think that they will be the usual Quake sort, and not that inspiring. In UT, hitting people with the sniper, demo-ing a room with ASMD combo, and then ripping someone apart with the flak gun are just too cool.... Hopefulyl quake can and will keep up to UT, then we can all have TWO fantastic deathmatch games to play. Also, I hope that Q3 will be able to run as smooooooth as UT does on my system, because the demo bogs down quite a bit (v3 3000, celeron 466)... If they can make the gameplay smooth, ahve some sweet, FUN weapons, then Q3 will also be fantastic.

SchizoidMan
30th Nov 1999, 01:41 PM
Wakey Wakey! The US isn't the center of the known world you know?

We haven't got it in Europe yet, so wait until we're clogging up gamespy before making half-baked statements like that.

hal
30th Nov 1999, 01:42 PM
I find that the armor in UT is anything but invincible. A nice, close flak cannon shot to the face will all but kill them. A couple of head shots with the razor or rifle will do the same.

I'm curious as to how you know the weapon balance is better in Q3 as it is still a demo! What about maps? What do you think of them vs. UT's?

To me, it seems that Q3A is more like a polished game-show. Much different than the previous 2. They had a darker, more dangerous feel to them.

UT on the other hand feels like a dark, real world with brutal combat. It's very different than Q3. So, like it or not, there is room for both to do well.

Steve18
30th Nov 1999, 03:19 PM
birddoG is right everyone is going to buy Q3 because their friend has it or its in their favourite mag. etc

half of the people saying UT is crap haven't even played it.

i myself have played Q3 and i don't think it is as good as UT.

They are just afraid of change because OH NO a game has finally challenged one of ID's chain of games

Panthyr
30th Nov 1999, 03:56 PM
You know Folks..Unlike Q3A, people can actually have a GREAT time playing OFFLINE! ..for us useres still plaing with a Piss-*** 56k modem (44k connect) playing at peak hours is not reallyan option..Besides...I need to beat those damn bots on those assault levels.

Rock on UT!!

L_S
30th Nov 1999, 04:22 PM
Well I dont want to say anything before the full version of Q3 is released, but it should be interesting to see how it stacks up to UT. I will agree that some quake players seem like they have some sort of "duty" to preach about iD.

As it stands now (and these are just my opinions) and just judging from the q3 demoTEST.

Netcode: UT and Q3 are equal.

Weapons: UT wins hands down. In the q3 demo 75% of the kills are with the rl and the 25% are with the railgun. In UT I feel fully confident going into a toe to toe battle with the flak, the 8ball, the ASMD, or the minigun. The rifle is just as useful but more for long range. The razorjack and biogun gun are situational type weapons.

Levels: Didnt especially like the q3 demo levels. They are too flat and horizontal. The whole game takes place on the same plane. I like levels with alot of catwalks and platforms where you have to worry about attackers coming from above and below as well as from the sides.

Bots: UT wins hands down.

Remember these are my opinions and they are only based on the q3 demo, I realize the full version could be very different but we shall see /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

You got a problem with what I gotta say? Click here please. (http://members.xoom.com/longshaft/biteme.htm)

badmaninheaven
22nd Jun 2001, 01:48 AM
*bump*:D
L_s, hal and BBA , u are old !!
Well others seems to have disappeared , if not reply here !

You-Suk|BuF
22nd Jun 2001, 03:20 AM
My god Yodhaa, where did you find that old stuff :confused:

hal
22nd Jun 2001, 03:43 AM
no need to go on a mad bumping spree, ya know.

badmaninheaven
22nd Jun 2001, 05:31 AM
Just thought i'd relive some old classic moments and share them with u guys!

Stosh
22nd Jun 2001, 05:53 AM
One thing that is interesting about this thread. It was stated that Q3A would outsell UT. That did not occur. Out of the 25 best selling games for the year 2000, UT finished 12th, Q3 25th.

badmaninheaven
22nd Jun 2001, 11:17 AM
What was no.1 ??? half life ?(or was it released in '99 ??)

Stosh
22nd Jun 2001, 12:33 PM
The Sims was # 1.
I think RollerCoaster Tycoon was #2

I know "Who wants to be a millionaire" was way way up there.

I'll see if I can dig up that issue of PC Gamer, where all were listed.

Technically, Q3 and UT were released in Nov of 1999. But these sales figures I believe were for 2000.

Brute_Force
22nd Jun 2001, 05:57 PM
I was a diehard doom an quakie..to me the games were absolutely awesome.I bought an finished all the add-on packs and played them over an over.whew!.But i stress but,i have had no problem converting overto a ut player because of online mutiplayer.To me i have a bettr chance with 56k in ut than i do in quake for the simple reason that ut has more skill moves than quake..hence dodging,.Also i got sick of the the lil toot sound q3 makes when u hit someone,sounds mickey mousish.I have found several flaws in ut but still i would never give it up for q3.....hey maybe if the mod community could make another five hundred mods we would have 5 players playing each..grrrrr..ut rocks an always will..at least till i say so.:D

SimplyCosmic
22nd Jun 2001, 06:29 PM
What was no.1 ??? half life ?(or was it released in '99 ??)

I think most FPS gamers tend to forget that their game genre is far from the best selling out there.

The vast majority of games sold are to casual gamers, who enjoy things like The Sims, Myst, virtual versions of popular board games, card games and television games shows and the like.