Importing Animation (_a.3d) files

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dezso

Sep 15, 2001
When I try to convert my .3ds files of animations, 3ds2unr always thinks the files contain only 1 frame, when in fact it is 30 or 70 frames. So the complete animation is never imported. Can someone help me out? Thanks

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
This is how you do it (surprised noone have told you yet...):
3ds2unr doesn't use the same frame-definition as #d studio for instance, with an animation, but it thinks that every model in the scene is an animation frame.
That is, every object, not every shape, since different, nonconnected shapes can be a single object.
What to do in 3D studio:
Open the animated file
Locate the button "snapshot" and click it, it looks like a worm of spheres...
in the box that comes up, you click "range"m, fill in on which frame the animation starts (0) and where it ends (x) and how many copies you want (x+1) and the you can select copy or mesh, I think anything works fine...
Press the OK button and you'll se that it have created a lot of new objects, one for each frame in the animation.
This is what 3ds2unr sees as an animation...
Now save it (preferably as a new file) and let 3ds2unr import it.
If there's no other error you will get the message "Imported x frames..."

Dezso

Sep 15, 2001
yo

i appreciate the reply, but i already figured it out.
however, now i get this message when trying to do the ucc make:

History: UEditorEngine::meshLODProcess <- UEditorEngine::meshImport <- UEditorEn
gine::SafeExec <- (MESH IMPORT MESH=berettahandsb ANIVFILE=MODELS\berettahandsb_
a.3d DATAFILE=MODELS\berettahandsb_d.3d X=0 Y=0 Z=0) <- FScriptCompiler::process
CompilerDirective <- Directive <- FScriptCompiler::CompileDeclaration <- FScript
Compiler::CompileStatement <- FirstPass <- TryCompile <- FScriptCompiler::Compil
eScript <- (Class MyMod.berettahandsb, Pass 0, Line 6) <- MakeScript <- MakeScri
pt <- MakeScript <- DoScripts <- UEditorEngine::MakeScripts <- UMakeCommandlet::
Main

whats up with that?

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
What do the code look like?
You haven't forgotten to put in #exec before the import line, have you?

Other than a code problem, it looks like a 3D-model problem...
How's your model?
When you edit it, does it have a texture, a uvw map, is it within the 256 unit boundary?
How's life in general? :D

Dezso

Sep 15, 2001
well im just using the .uc file created by 3ds2unr
here it is anyway:

//=============================================================================
// berettahandsb.
//=============================================================================
class berettahandsb expands Actor;

#exec MESH IMPORT MESH=berettahandsb ANIVFILE=MODELS\berettahandsb_a.3d DATAFILE=MODELS\berettahandsb_d.3d X=0 Y=0 Z=0
#exec MESH ORIGIN MESH=berettahandsb X=0 Y=0 Z=0

#exec MESH SEQUENCE MESH=berettahandsb SEQ=All STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=10
#exec MESH SEQUENCE MESH=berettahandsb SEQ=bah STARTFRAME=0 NUMFRAMES=10

#exec TEXTURE IMPORT NAME=Jberettahandsb1 FILE=MODELS\berettahandsb1.PCX GROUP=Skins FLAGS=2 // Material #1
#exec TEXTURE IMPORT NAME=Jberettahandsb2 FILE=MODELS\berettahandsb2.PCX GROUP=Skins PALETTE=Jberettahandsb1 // TWOSIDED

#exec MESHMAP NEW MESHMAP=berettahandsb MESH=berettahandsb
#exec MESHMAP SCALE MESHMAP=berettahandsb X=0.1 Y=0.1 Z=0.2

#exec MESHMAP SETTEXTURE MESHMAP=berettahandsb NUM=1 TEXTURE=Jberettahandsb1
#exec MESHMAP SETTEXTURE MESHMAP=berettahandsb NUM=2 TEXTURE=Jberettahandsb2

defaultproperties
{
DrawType=DT_Mesh
Mesh=berettahandsb
}

its prolly a 3d model problem, how can i diagnose it though?
its within the boundries, it just has normal material textures, i never added a uvw map

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
aha!
If you don't have an uvw map, then what good is the meshmap commands?
How do you skin your model anyway?
(Maybe I'm wrong, but that could be the problem...)

Dezso

Sep 15, 2001
i just find or make the texture then apply it like any other material in max using the material editor
hasent been a problem before