Nvidia XP drivers and Open GL

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JonnyIndica

May 12, 2001
Lake in the Hills, IL USA
Visit site
900Mhz Athlon
64MB Geforce2 Ultra
256MB pc133
WinMe

I Run UT in D3D @ 1089x768x32 EVERYTHING on
I get AVE 81 fps

I never have used Open GL due to lack of brightness control. I have also heard that UT runs better in D3D After installing the new XP drivers for my videocard, I decided to try and see if my brightness would work with Open GL. It did not.

I went into my CONTROL PANNEL and manually adjusted brightness and gamma. I messed with it until I was satisfied with appearance.

Now I average 109 fps !!!!!!!!!! (KICK ASS)

Here is my question.... Was this tremendous fps increase a result of the new drivers OR is this normal difference between D3D and Open GL ???

darklite

Apr 3, 2000
OpenGL has always given me a greater numerical FPS, but the performance is still poor in my opinion compared to D3D. Since installing 2K on my system though, I now use OpenGL because my fps have taken a 30 or so frame dip in D3D. My performance in OpenGL on the other hand is essentially the same in 2K as it was in 98. There's also the stability factor -- I have never locked up under UT's OpenGL renderer since I got my new CPU (Duron 900Mhz), while D3D locks up pretty regularly for me recently.

Do you experience a lot of hitching (ie; the game freezes (for the lack of a better term) for a fraction of a second) in-game, especially when you just start playing, in OpenGL? This is the bane of OpenGL on my computer. It also seems to cripple itself on maps that D3D has no problems rendering in a fast manner, such as DM-Zeto, CTF-Dreary and even sometimes CTF-Coret. It almost seems to be geared more toward open levels, whereas D3D may be a little more geared toward closed in and tight levels. I could be totally wrong though. :)

Also, I assume you are using the stock OpenGL renderer distributed with UT? If so, what version of the renderer? You may consider checking out the beta OpenGL renderer at unreal.epicgamse.com, which does include brightness controls. :) Back up your original OpenGLDrv.dll though, you may not be satisfied with the performance of the new, beta renderer.

EDIT: Oh, perhaps I should answer your question, heh. I experienced no fps increase nor any decrease in hitching when I uprgaded from the 12.41 Det 3's to the new DetXPs. I am running 2K though, so perhaps they fixed a bug or something in the ME drivers.