Running suggestion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
since this is a suggestion for movement, it should be optional as Im sure there are folks here who dont want their movement keys changed.

what I propose is that the double tap "dive prone" key have a toggel that lets it be changed to a "run forward" action.
bypassing the fiddly tap for sprint setup we have now.

in addition, make the weapon go and stay in hip mode while running (similar to swim) and change the current run key to "hold for sprint" instead.

well, thats just my thought.

it lets you chose when to dash and control your walk/sprint without as many accedental diving prones as we have now.

JamesT

sniper apprentice
Jun 25, 2001
Taiwan
inf.dearhoney.idv.tw
make the weapon go and stay in hip mode while running (similar to swim)
You mean you want yurch's mutator to be official! ;)
change the current run key to "hold for sprint" instead.
It already is.

---

On prone position, I seriously suggest as following:

1) Remove the use of any double-tap key ( aka dodge. )

2) While standing, prone = dive prone.

3) While crouching, prone = the slower ( but not actually slow ) version of going prone.

4) Add an inter-transition stage between standing and crouching position as what is done to the prone position in v2.86.

What I suggest above is based on the real military training of going to a prone position. As said, going prone is a fast movement. Basically, a normal way of going prone position has 2 steps -- first, crouch and have your body tilt forward; second, while using your arms to support your upper body, stretch your legs backward as fast as you can. The second step in fact can be done very fast, however, the first step can't. Opposite to this fact, INF soldiers can "insta-crouch" and "insta-stand-up-from-crouching," which must be corrected IMO.

Diving prone, another story, which is a skill for better soldiers, for example, marines. Not all soldiers have regular training on that. In a critical situation where a normal way of going prone position is not fast enough to avoid danger, diving prone might save one's life. I haven't been trained to dive prone, so I don't know it's regular procedure. I only know it looks like the soldier dashing and flying forward and then heavily fall flat onto the ground. I don't know how it can be accomplished without getting hurt ( needs technique ) but I don't think it will be comfortable at all.

To sum up, my suggestion will work as:

If you want to go prone position, first you crouch, which must take some time. Then press the prone key and you are set, very fast.

If you are patroling and suddenly someone you don't know where begins to fire at you, plus you have no cover nearby, so you press prone key, and you dive prone, very fast.

Originally posted by JamesT

Diving prone, another story, which is a skill for better soldiers, for example, marines. Not all soldiers have regular training on that. In a critical situation where a normal way of going prone position is not fast enough to avoid danger, diving prone might save one's life. I haven't been trained to dive prone, so I don't know it's regular procedure. I only know it looks like the soldier dashing and flying forward and then heavily fall flat onto the ground. I don't know how it can be accomplished without getting hurt ( needs technique ) but I don't think it will be comfortable at all.

It DOES hurt a lot. I just knocked myself silly a few times testing.

RAZZ

aka FURY13RT
uhh, strider...

...let me get this strait

you suspected that falling on the floor might hurt....
so you tested this? *sniker*
several times? *giggle*
just to be sure? :)

sceuse me a second
/me walks out door
BUAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!! :D

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
procedure taught to singapore army infantry soldiers:

1. take trigger hand off grip
2. bend knees and lower upper body forward
3. place trigger hand on ground
4. kick out both legs behind you while using trigger hand for support
5. return trigger hand to grip
6. acquire firing solution

all this takes about .5 to 1 second, depending on how comfortable the soldier is with his weapon... this also prevents busted knees, elbows, etc...

JamesT

sniper apprentice
Jun 25, 2001
Taiwan
inf.dearhoney.idv.tw
Originally posted by LoTekK & yurch
L: take trigger hand off grip

Y: Something I am sure your fellow inf soldier would never do :rolleyes:
Real soldiers should hold the front part ( what is the terminology for this? ) of his assult rifle ( under the barrel ) with his left hand. Can this be done in INF, I mean, UT engine?

Technophile

Look, location works again!
Oct 31, 2000
Texas, USA
Forestock, handguard, which one mostly depends on if the gun has a full length stock (Robar) or a set of "grips" on a metal receiver (MP5).