Popularity Vs Time been goin

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shark2000

Sep 12, 2001
Visit site
How long has Infiltration been in development, I like the game - the bugs, however there are hardly any players, and at 2.86, it seems it has been released for quite a while. I need to know if it will catch on, becuase I dont want to start playin it if there is no opposition

the vrrc

noexistant user
Jun 16, 2001
Visit site
2.86 came out about two weeks ago, maybe 4. There are no players becaues most of them aren't feeling like playing after what happened. You can usually get into a game with around 16 people easy, everyone just goes into the most-lagless servers.

"becuase I dont want to start playin it if there is no opposition"

INF enjoys a semi-friendly "competiton" with the title of realism game with others such as Counter Strike, Tac-Ops, and others, if that is what you mean. We aren't really fighting for popularity in a big war against some other game, though.

Oh, and it has been around in 1999, but has undergone MAJOR changes since those times. 2.86 took several miles of steps from 2.85.5.

shark2000

Sep 12, 2001
Visit site
Oh, so it is likely not to get much more populated?

Im in Australia and use cable, and most servers are in woop woop, so my fastest ping I have had so far was around 300-400, I find this unplayable.

My main complaint, is that there are hardly any populated servers at all, in fact the most Ive seen with poeple in them is around 6.

Just one more thing, in Co-op, what do you do, I was playin with bots, and there was nutton to shoot.. ??

shark2000

Sep 12, 2001
Visit site
I was just thinking, though its not likely to happen, still I think your team and the tact op team should join forces, tell you why.

Your team has developed a good feeling for that sorta game and have great ideas such as the weapon collition detection, making it unique next to traditional unreal tourament. But, as you were saying you need new game modes. I especially love ur crosshairless idea :) its so 1337! (elite)

On the other hand Tactical ops, its a great game, but they havn't developed the feeling of very well, it feel much like traditional ut, with the menu systems, and the physics of the game. And the movements terrible, much worse than infiltration

Tact ops could use ur ideas, and infiltration game could ideas implemented in tact ops. Though this is not likely to happen it would be cool.

[L]-Lestat

LOL? I nearly ROFLed!(IF)
Apr 4, 2001
He's behind you!
I used to play Tac Ops a lot, and it bears no comparison to INF, although it is still a good game in its own way. I personnaly would hate to see this game become as big as Tac Ops or CS, as that brings with it a multitude of cheats, TKers, idiots and morons.
Keep INF small I say.
The INF team deserve credit for their work on what is, in my opinion, the best UT mod out there (and I've played a lot of them) but I'd like to see them receive that recognition, without the community suffering.
Can't get one without the other though. I started playing Tac Ops when it was still called SWAT, and since then it has developed really well, but the community has majorly degenerated. Just visit the official forums and compare the tone of the threads. That is what would happen to INF if it became too popular.

[L]-Lestat

Apr 4, 2001
He's behind you!
Originally posted by shark2000
infiltration game could ideas implemented in tact ops

Like what? No offence, but I can't see anything in Tac Ops that INF needs. All the ideas in Tac Ops are taken from CS.

shark2000

Sep 12, 2001
Visit site
I know that. The guy said before that they need more game modes, minus buying guns, infiltration could use the bomb idea, and the hostage resue idea from cs. I mentioned Tact-ops because thats UT, and so is infiltration, and if any people were to join forces they would have to mod the same game.

PS: I ment this to be a thought, not really advice

vincenzo_og

teh INFlirtationist
Apr 2, 2001
UK>Scotland>Hell
i know what u mean but i disagree, currently everyone is waiting for INF's next piece de resistance, ... EAS! which is to be the main game mode of INF.

and as for keeping INF small,... amen.
occasionaly i play UT and though it's fun, it's not like playing INF when u have 2-3 friends on. U never know anyone when playing games like that and it gets boring too fast. INF with lots of friends is awesome, theres nothing like it, one day (once i have Broadband) i hope to join a clan to maximize this effect. (be warned Limey...lol, as if :))

tell u what, all INF needs right now is EAS and a Browning HP

Uppity

Apr 17, 2001
NE England (We hang monkeys)
Visit site
Small is good, but you at least need one or two populated servers where you can get a reasonable ping.

We're OK here in Europe for that, I guess the US is OK too, but I'm sure I've heard a few Aussies here mention before that there are no servers down-under. :(

Small is good, but too small is bad.

I'll tell you what though, I havn't seen much advertising or mention of Inf on the web in general. I thought there may have been a bit of a mention when 2.86 was realased and as a result a few more players, but I just havn't seen it. Shame really.

[L]-Lestat

Apr 4, 2001
He's behind you!
As for advertisement, I've seen INF on PlanetUnreal, UnrealCenter, ModSquad and lots of other places.
I think the reason we're small, is because most FPS gamers need their crosshairs. ;)

shark2000

Sep 12, 2001
Visit site
I think the main problem is no backing by known companies, I mean lets face it without valve cs would be long gone...

Another reason is there is not many players, so not many new ppl come for that reason, on the other hand if suddenly heaps of servers are populated I reckon more poeple will play...

I reckon the developers should try to promote on some external gaming pages, I belive I will help out when equinox & ghn are open.
www.gaminghc.com
www.gaminghc.com/clan/clan.html
www.gaminghc.com/clan/R6

crash*

no job too small, no fee too large
Mar 17, 2001
Downrange
hmmm. I think the "not many players" has to do with your timing more than anything. Up until the past 72 hrs, I've rarely had any difficulty finding a populated server with decent ping, even for a crappy 'ol 56k'er.

and I really don't want INF and TO to be the same. Like Lestat, I started playting TO back in the day when it was SWAT, and started INF with 2.75. 2 very different games with different intents, objectives, and "feels" to them. Different evolution, too. And, ultimately, very different communities. The whole point of the mod community is for different people/teams to come up with their own personal vision. Viva la difference!

As for merits/perils of commercial backing, take a look over at the SF community. Not always the best answer.

/me goes back to waiting for my mobilization order.

funkstylz

I CLEAN TEH LATRINE
Mar 15, 2000
Bris. QLD, Oz
www.funkstylz.com
Shark...firstly, where in Oz are you?? Me from Brisbane - 6 toes count'em.

Secondly, iHug are utting up an INF server pretty soon apparently, and it will more than likely help encourage play over here...keep your eyes open in the near future for this. I'll see you on it.