Hip Mode and Tracers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Harpoon

Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
I saw that they are going to put in tracer rounds for INF. That would be cool, getting your AKMSU with a Drum, putting it on your hip so the recoil wont cover your view, then guiding the tracers into a group of enemy troops.

But the accuracy in hip mode isn't realistic: You can't get a tight grouping when firing from the hip because the devs made it so that the bullet will never go exactly in the center of your screen, so people would use the iron sights. But once the tracers are put in, they'll be useless because the bullets would be going in random patterns, making it hard to 'walk' the fire onto a target.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Your hip is not a stable firing platform, so there is nothing unrealistic about that. The bullets won't be random, just the recoil will be greater, so you'll have to learn to control it from the hip better. The tracers should help in this.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
firing from the hip is bar-none the worst firing position you can imagine... the recoil at the hip really does throw the weapon in surprisingly random directions...

Tiran Kenja

CO of Creepers
Feb 26, 2001
www.creepers.org
Originally posted by Harpoon
I saw that they are going to put in tracer rounds for INF. That would be cool, getting your AKMSU with a Drum, putting it on your hip so the recoil wont cover your view, then guiding the tracers into a group of enemy troops.

But the accuracy in hip mode isn't realistic: You can't get a tight grouping when firing from the hip because the devs made it so that the bullet will never go exactly in the center of your screen, so people would use the iron sights. But once the tracers are put in, they'll be useless because the bullets would be going in random patterns, making it hard to 'walk' the fire onto a target.

I think you would be much better helped by making a series of aimed shoots in semi mode with a rifle. Than trying to take out people with full-auto and tracers. Instead have a guy around to cover with full-auto while you prepare to make the shoots... Hey... That would be teamwork... Wouldn't it? ;)

Harpoon

Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
But then the guy doing your covering fire would swear as he the enemy just jumps out and shoots him while strafing, and you remember that supressive fire doesn't work on INF because people aren't afraid of death?

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
I've been meaning to ask...

Exactly what is AFA2's address?

I never see it on my browser.

peep

peep==class
Jul 13, 2001
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Yes, I want on the AFA server too. I've been playing the mutator on another one that escapes my memory now.

As of right now, I can't really get the hang of hip firing. I've been trying to use the FAMAS, somewhat unsuccesfully. Anyway, I went to the firing range & couldn't hit anything. I mean, I would do bursts at various distances & the most I ever got was 1 shot for all 3.

RL military peeps, would there ever be any reason to shoot from the hip, other than to look real cool & get yerself shot? Do they use hip firing for scoped weapons in RL? Do they even TRAIN you how to fire that way in the military?

Screw the AK with tracers...MINIMI!

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
The last Army I heard that trained for hip shooting was the Japanese army of the second world war.

The British Army and I beleive the US too practice is to stop, shoulder the weapon, and fire an aimed shot. The aiming might not be to good, but its the thought that counts.

Hip shooting just ain't realistic, sorry people.

juca

FN-Fal-ist
Mar 4, 2001
Between my desk and my chair...
Hip Shooting

But Hip Shooting IS realistic! It DOES exist! And is used in real life, mainly by people that never shooted before and only saw a gun before in tv movies, but it DOES happen sometimes! :D

the vrrc

noexistant user
Jun 16, 2001
Visit site
Just shoot from normal aim. If the recoil is too much, why are you using it?

As for firing from hip in movies... The Mummy Returns is notorious for tommy-machinegun hip firing.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Hip shooting is about as realistic as Mr Spocks ears

I really do wish Hollywood had never happened. More people get the wrong idea because some idiot thought it would look good in a film if....

If you go through life thinking the hollywood is telling the truth and showing you how to live then god help you.

In the REAL MILITARY people DO NOT hip shoot. Its not taught. Shooting become so much second nature to a soilder that he does it the RIGHT WAY without even thinking about it. You come into my army and try to hip shoot, you'll find yourself before the OC on charges before you can say 'Sorry'. Its unsafe, and inaccurate. If I want Rounds turned into Empty Cases I can think of a lot more fun ways to do it.

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
If memory serves, Warren stated that the hip mode in Inf is supposed to be more like a sort of upper ready position... shouldered but not looking in the sight or scope. Which makes sense... look straight ahead and imagine you have say an MP5 literally at your hip, you'd be lucky if you saw the very tip of the barrel over your nose.

Harpoon

Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
Ok, but if your not suppose to use hip mode, whats the point of tracers if your just going to use the weapons iron sights which will block out the tracers?

Zach10k

The AeroMaggot
Apr 6, 2001
NY
Visit site
Or maybe the idea behind putting tracers isn't to help aiming, but rather to give you an idea of where the guy shooting at you is, like in Delta Force. Although this would usually only be helpful if your enemy had bad aim, since normally you die if you don't see the other guy first. It kinda goes against the mentality of this mod if they're putting in an option to help you hip-shoot, know what I mean? Tracers would look pretty cool though:cool:

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
tracers can be used in order to show your teammates where you are firing at (works both ways) and thus where they should fire. Tracers also allow you to see where your rounds hit at night.