PDA

View Full Version : A tutorial idea

usaar33
7th Sep 2001, 11:00 PM
I feel like writing a tutorial on linked lists (existing ones in UT, how they work, and how to create your own), simply because I am sick of seeing coders use foreach allactors (class'pawn',p)

Would any be interested in this?

Euphoric Beaver
8th Sep 2001, 02:51 AM
I've never even heard of them. :D

2COOL4-U
8th Sep 2001, 03:06 AM
I used foreach allactors(class'Pawn',P) for a long time now I use a for loop :)

mr.s-d
8th Sep 2001, 07:46 AM
yeah, a tute on linked lists would be useful, as they're a fundamental part of any programmers toolkit

nighthack
8th Sep 2001, 11:26 AM
Agree, could be kind of usefull. By the Way, whats wrong with:

for (p=Level.Pawnlist; p!=None; p=p.NextPawn)
//do some stuff here

usaar33
8th Sep 2001, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by nighthack
Agree, could be kind of usefull. By the Way, whats wrong with:

for (p=Level.Pawnlist; p!=None; p=p.NextPawn)
//do some stuff here

nothing.
that is what you SHOULD be using rather than going through every actor :)

Captain Kewl
9th Sep 2001, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by usaar33

nothing.
that is what you SHOULD be using rather than going through every actor :)

Except that it's not replicated to the client, so it's pretty useless for playerpawns and inventory items.

usaar33
9th Sep 2001, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Captain Kewl

Except that it's not replicated to the client, so it's pretty useless for playerpawns and inventory items.

yes, client-side you are stuck with foreach allactors()
but rarely do you need to do that client-side

and inv can be used as normal

for (inv=pawn.inventory;inv!=none;inv=inv.inventory)

nighthack
22nd Sep 2001, 04:41 PM
I have suggestion concerning your eaggernes in writting tutorials...
What about a linked list tutorial? I think that would be more useful, more interesting and I'm really in need to know how it works :D

usaar33
22nd Sep 2001, 06:34 PM
I have suggestion concerning your eaggernes in writting tutorials...
What about a linked list tutorial? I think that would be more useful, more interesting and I'm really in need to know how it works :D

I just said that?

Euphoric Beaver
23rd Sep 2001, 06:17 AM
:lol:

mr.s-d
23rd Sep 2001, 08:34 AM
Well, if no-one else feels writing a tute about linked lists, I'll eventually get around to doing it, probably expand the scope to include binary trees, and other useful data storage techniques.
But for now, give this a read:

http://members.tripod.co.uk/sotf/ll_bt.html

nighthack
23rd Sep 2001, 09:46 AM
I don't ment a tutorial concerning the use of existing linked lists, but rather the writing of a linked list class. Perhaps i should have mentioned that .... :(

usaar33
23rd Sep 2001, 01:43 PM
I don't ment a tutorial concerning the use of existing linked lists, but rather the writing of a linked list class. Perhaps i should have mentioned that .... :(

Ya, using linked lists includes created your own.

Self Destruct, I'll write it real soon :)

ca
24th Sep 2001, 01:28 AM
And the peasants rejoice!

mr.s-d
24th Sep 2001, 07:26 AM
Thanks usaar33, if people continue to offer to write tutorials at the current rate I'll rarely have to do any work myself :)

nighthack
29th Sep 2001, 11:21 PM
Ehmm .... just sit down and relax!! :D

I'currently working on a weapon tutorial witch schould help to create a new weapon class from scratch, including most features that are available for a weapon such as instant hit, mellee weapons and writing Projectiles.

If someone wants to contribute with Ideas, comments suggestions hes welcome. (why i'm asking? ehmm I'm new to that myself and writing it mainly to learn from)

ca
29th Sep 2001, 11:48 PM
I'd be happy to proof-read and edit any tutorials if you would like. Just send it to ca@planetunreal.com and I'll check it out and give you any comments, or we can go ahead and post it if you think it's ready. I'm sure mrselfdestruct@planetunreal.com will do the same as well... :)

Euphoric Beaver
30th Sep 2001, 05:35 AM
Cool more tuts! I love tuts. :D