PDA

View Full Version : taking screen shots in unreal1

EyesLikeZapruder
7th Sep 2001, 05:29 AM
howdy.

well, i have a bit of a problem. i take screen shots in unreal, just like i normally do in unreal tournament, and they come out incredibly dark. sure, i can manually brighten them and adjust the gamma, but it just doesn't look right. it looks great when i'm playing though!

i currently use a TNT 32mb d3d card/driver. i do have the latest patches, (ver226, unrealgold d3d updated driver).

anyone have any ideas why this could be happening in unreal and not unreal tournament? it's very frustrating, i don't know what else i could possibly tweak in my video settings!

btw, i do run win98, 1024x768 32bit desktop (in case this helps you help me!)

thanks!

NeoNite
7th Sep 2001, 12:28 PM
Same thing here. I'm using a geforce2 mx.
Thing is, my unreal screenies are dark, but my ut screenies are ok.
Must be a setting in advanced properties? Maybe how the level is lit? I wish I could help you more though :)
Used to run unreal on a voodoo banshee.. same thing though...
Use photoshop to .. adjust the brightness.. it works fine rigth?

Techno JF
7th Sep 2001, 01:11 PM
I've taken enough screenshots in both Unreal and UT to be fairly familiar with this. In Unreal, screenshots just naturally come out dark. It's a bug that was never squashed. Here's my theory:

In UT, the screen flashes when you take a screenshot. This is for two reasons. First, it is to compensate for the screenshot brightness bug that is in Unreal and got ported over to UT. Second, it is used as a way of telling the player that a screenshot was successfully taken.

I believe that this second reason is why the bug was never actively fixed in UT, but I'm wondering why the final patch for Unreal did not implement this solution in it also.

EyesLikeZapruder
7th Sep 2001, 01:41 PM
ahhh.... that does indeed make sense. but what i find bizarre is that my pal whom i often play unreal1 with does not have this problem at all. the only difference, is that he has mipmapping turned off. he uses a geforce2 card. i don't see how that should make any difference. he also uses version 225 of the game.

very bizarre... his shots look, for the most part, great.

DRT-Maverick
8th Sep 2001, 09:19 PM
Let me say one thing: NO MATTER WHAT YOU USE, THEY WILL ALL BE DARK!!!!! :) You have to use a photo enhancing and editing program. I use Photoshop6.0

Techno JF
9th Sep 2001, 02:34 AM
Since the best thing I have on my computer is Microsoft Photo Editor, that's what I use (it came with my computer). I typically only have to adjust the gamma to 1.75 or 2.00 for my screenshots to look okay.

Hellscrag
9th Sep 2001, 05:43 AM
I up my Unreal gamma two notches when I'm taking screenies.

Since I started using D3D after I got my GeForce2, the screenies were soooo dark (darker than glide) that I had to gamma them 2.2 and there was a great loss of colour depth - shadows generally looked ****ty.

When I up my Unreal gamma, I only have to gamma the screenies by 1.5 and it looks fine.

INF3RNO
9th Sep 2001, 04:47 PM
Problem gets even worse for mappers who are trying to light their maps. My bro uses glide on his V3 and when I do levels with my TNT2 (D3D), the lighting never looks the same on his V3. Same thing with screenies tho...

EyesLikeZapruder
9th Sep 2001, 05:23 PM
well that's the thing, Maverick: the dude i know takes shots and *does not* have to adjust anything afterwards in a photo editing program. i just don't understand how that could happen.

in any case, i really appreciate the response.

DRT-Maverick
9th Sep 2001, 10:11 PM
Eyes, then he is 1 in a billion who doesn't. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't.

But if you get photoshop, or if you (that includes all who read this) have photoshop5.0 or higher, press CTRL+L, that's the best way to mess with brightness, it doesn't distort anything. I think it's adjusting Levels.

NEVER use Adjust Curves, I used to use that, but it looks like sh1t. :p

EyesLikeZapruder
9th Sep 2001, 10:54 PM
yeah... that's what i'm thinking too.

DRT-Maverick
9th Sep 2001, 11:11 PM
Well, there are some good programs out there that can help you as well. I'll try and find some.