PDA

View Full Version : Comment Ranks in time ! After it will be too late !

Pages : [1] 2

DarkBls
6th Sep 2001, 06:06 PM
What do you think guy about swaping our avatars to military rank based on your post count ?

Avatars is not a need to show your indiduality because we have our sig.

Some can say it will promote postcount-spaming behavior. I don't think so because we already have our postcount displayed and only a few try to post just to pass some limit (100-1000 etc.)

Acording to me, it could give a general military feeling to our board wich suit very well the spirit of our beloved "game".

btw I don't know if we can do that because we are hosted in PU and maybe that kind of chnage can only be done to the whole PU board and not our board only.

DarkBls
13th Sep 2001, 12:03 PM
We will see..

Maybe after reaching the level of high officer. BTW this system need a lot of thing to be done:

Tecnical information from PU admins
Warren green light

Aeris
13th Sep 2001, 12:18 PM
I suggested swappin ranks for Avitars to [delta]Predator in P19 forums, I said after 2000-3000 posts, and Donnilizer replyed with this..
Well, that's a good idea. Problem is, it encourages spamming the boards.
Pred said;
well, that's why we have Bad.Mojo :D I personally think it's a pretty good idea, but I'm pretty sure once you got to be a colonel, you would like it more than your avatar ;)
Im still not convinced!

DLL
13th Sep 2001, 01:31 PM

CyanideTriscuit
13th Sep 2001, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by the vrrc
I've always wondered: What is that some clan guys say? Quineg? I've heard it in Mechwarrior 3 and several books, always at the end of a sentence.

Oh, god. I am so ashamed that I know the answer to this. Aw, hell... This is what I get for reading all of those damn books... "Quineg" is said by clanners at the end of rhetorical question/statement when a negative response is expected, same for "Quiaff" except a positive response is expected.

yurch
13th Sep 2001, 03:03 PM
No! You will never take my hat away! never!

the vrrc
13th Sep 2001, 04:14 PM
Oh, thanks, CT. I thought it was along the lines of that. Dammnit, gotta find a way to get Mechwarrior to work on my computer!

JasonBook
15th Sep 2001, 08:37 AM
I like the idea of ranking, with of course the appropriate title under.

Kuroshio Apocal
16th Sep 2001, 10:23 PM
Quineg - Question - Negative.
Quiaff - Question - Affirmative.

I only read three books, BTW.

Starstreams
17th Sep 2001, 02:35 AM
opps, sorry

CrappyChan
17th Sep 2001, 08:29 PM
its should be a choice...

DarkBls
18th Sep 2001, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by CrappyChan
its should be a choice...

Maybe at a high rank. Not at the start.

TitanBlue
18th Sep 2001, 06:26 AM
Sounds acceptable DarkBls :D but what about spamming then to choose an avatar?

TitanBlue :con:

BrownyMan
18th Sep 2001, 10:58 PM
I say it's based on time you've been registered as opposed to the total post count you have.

/me looks away from my info :D

I probably have the lowest posts/day count of any member here.

TitanBlue
19th Sep 2001, 10:10 AM
/me already switched to rank + sig :p

TitanBlue

DarkBls
19th Sep 2001, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by TitanBlue
/me already switched to rank + sig :p

TitanBlue

I don't know german ranks.. COuld you post them ?

TitanBlue
19th Sep 2001, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by DarkBls

I don't know german ranks.. Could you post them ?

Here we go DarkBls ;)

Officer ranks correspond directly to equivalent ranks in the United States Armed Forces. Officer rank insignia are worn on shoulder straps or shoulder boards; in the case of naval officers, rank is indicated by gold stripes on the lower sleeve of the blue service jacket and on shoulder boards of the white uniform. The semicircular wreath on the shoulder straps is gold for general officers and silver for field grade officers.

NCO ranks are based on those used long ago in the Prussian armies, and it is difficult to relate them directly to United States NCO ranks. In the army and air force, a Hauptgefreiter corresponds approximately to a private first class or airman first class. An Unteroffizier, with the responsibilities of a squad leader, is the lowest-ranking sergeant, followed by the Stabsunteroffizier, Feldwebel, Oberfeldwebel, and Hauptfeldwebel.

Ranks of army and air force enlisted personnel are designated by stripes, chevrons, and looped chevrons worn on shoulder straps.
Naval enlisted rank designations are worn on the upper sleeve along with a symbol of the service specialization (rating). Army and air force officer candidates hold the separate ranks of Gefreiter, Fahnenjunker, and Oberfaehnrich and wear the equivalent enlisted rank designations plus a silver diamond on their sleeves. Medical personnel of all three services wear a version of the traditional caduceus (staff with entwined serpents) on their shoulder straps or sleeve.

I've found a french (*lol*) website for you Darky, with pictures of the german ranks and also their german, french and english meaning here (http://www.ifrance.com/ArmyReco/europe/Allemagne/Uniformes_insignes/Grades/Grades_Terre_Allemagne_diaporama.htm)

/me was Corporal (and squad leader *hehe* we haven't had enough Sergeants so i had to to this job :D). The yellow ribbon below my stripes shows the branch of service. In my case: signalling & communications.

c u on the virtual battlefields ;)

TitanBlue

DarkBls
19th Sep 2001, 04:07 PM
ThX.
Like you can see in one of my previous post in this thread, our ranks (and most) are pretty the same..

[H]-Piezo
19th Sep 2001, 08:53 PM
Please don't assume that people can express their individuality through their Sig's. Most of us have little html experience, webpage hosting experience, and even little experience using free webpage services. I think it would be a good Idea, but the forum would need a FAQ or GUIDE for setting up a sig.

*I just noticed JasonBook's sig. I find it completely Juvenile. Bin Laden may be a devil incarnate, or possibly the man behind the cowardly attack on the USA, but no one knows that yet. Stop finger pointing, and do some research. Bin Laden was origionally supported as a soldier in a war by the USA, similar to how the USA put Sadam Hussein(sp?) into power. Also, I learned something new today. Apparently there is a certain kindof stock you buy if you think stocks will fall. Before the attack, these stocks in the airline sector became suddenly very popular. They still don't know who bought them all up, but it will suggest something when they find the info.

[H]-Piezo
19th Sep 2001, 09:10 PM
I think forum moderators should be given the power to promote/demote people as they see fit, with the INF team possesing the supreme power. This would eliminate the spam=promotion, and also the non-existant player whos been registered since the beginning and decides to suddenly come back as a general. Admittably there might be teachers pets as a result, but I think it is the best available option.

TitanBlue
20th Sep 2001, 12:09 AM
ThX.
Like you can see in one of my previous post in this thread, our ranks (and most) are pretty the same.. NoProb.
Yes luckily most are pretty the same but some ranks have no equivalent. We always had some guests from US forces, the french 'grande armée' and the belgian 'Krijgsmacht' ;) Oh, BTW i found a page about the belgian ranks (http://www.mil.be/divers/grade/army.htm) *g*

Originally posted by [H]-Piezo
Please don't assume that people can express their individuality through their Sig's. Most of us have little html experience, webpage hosting experience, and even little experience using free webpage services. I think it would be a good Idea, but the forum would need a FAQ or GUIDE for setting up a sig. There's really no need for big HTML knowledge. Just press the right button and insert your text, link or image-url. Hover with the mouse over one button and see it's meaning in the text window below. You can use the same tags in your sig.

Those who have no webhosting experience or have no webspace: ask phatcat (http://forums.planetunreal.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=19603) in a week or two, AFAIK he has offered free SigPic-Hosting© :D for the INF messageboard. Also i've seen Kuroshio Apocal kindly hosting the image of St0rmcaller's sig (Darren, are you still here or already on the way to deliver?)

Oh, and by the way: there is a FAQ
just examine this page and search
for a button that looks like this:

http://forums.planetunreal.com/images/styles/jungle/top_faq.gif (http://forums.planetunreal.com/misc.php?action=faq)

TitanBlue :D

MadWoffen
20th Sep 2001, 03:29 AM
@TitanBlue: lol, they only use two of our three official languages. German is missing here, I'm filling an official complaint! :D

Just to complicate the thing: what about using rank of each own country ? :p

DarkBls
20th Sep 2001, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by MadWoffen
[BJust to complicate the thing: what about using rank of each own country ? :p [/B]

Whell It would be a good idea, but it cannot be done i think.

The best way to do it is to create anew one. I think we will mix most known ranks and give the scale of the most rich.

TitanBlue
20th Sep 2001, 05:10 AM
i can help if you need another hand ;)

TitanBlue

St0rmcaller
20th Sep 2001, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by TitanBlue
(Darren, are you still here or already on the way to deliver?)
TitanBlue :D

Still here, brother. Well, sort of. It seems a schedule has worked itself out, and the opportunities for a home life exist again. The big head toe cheese in charge has decided that we are to stand down, but be ready for deployment at a moment's notice. We are still busy as hell, but the good news is that we can actually return to our homes, for now.

TitanBlue
21st Sep 2001, 05:17 AM
Good to hear that bo, take care ;)

TitanBlue

OICW
25th Sep 2001, 06:52 PM
I agree 100% with H- Piezo.

I have no idea how to make a sig, and my HD is clogged up so d/ling Paintshop pro or whatever is out of the question despite my cable modem.

{GD}Ghost
25th Sep 2001, 10:43 PM
I have no idea how to make a sig eiither. 8-)

mae2050
25th Sep 2001, 11:15 PM
FUNNY Sh** (http://forums.planetunreal.com/showthread.php?threadid=85046)

OICW
27th Sep 2001, 02:41 AM
Hehe, might seem confusing, but what I meant was that Pacman very kindly made my sig in about 5 mins (I didn't want a L337 one in the 1st place) and I don't know any art/java/HTML skills at all :(

Aeris
28th Sep 2001, 08:26 PM
I dont know where I gots ma avitar from, I forgot. I think itz off tha hook thou!

Lolo Konijn
29th Sep 2001, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by BrownyMan
I probably have the lowest posts/day count of any member here.

:rolleyes:

the vrrc
29th Sep 2001, 10:27 PM
Now I have to bet against this. I keep getting everyone with that red anger smiley BMA avatar mixed up, despite the sigs.

Aeris
1st Oct 2001, 09:26 AM
:stupid: I must say iv dont it one or two times

Tiffy
6th Oct 2001, 08:50 PM
I'm against this.

I'm proud of my Regimental Cap Badge and I don't want it replaced by some foriegn rank badge I'm not entitled to.

This is not a good idea as far as I'm concerned, but the reasons are purely selfish.

DarkBls
7th Oct 2001, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Tiffy
I'm against this.

I'm proud of my Regimental Cap Badge and I don't want it replaced by some foriegn rank badge I'm not entitled to.

This is not a good idea as far as I'm concerned, but the reasons are purely selfish.

What about your avat as a sig ! ?

phatcat
17th Oct 2001, 10:16 AM
oh well, we got enought votes!!

go for it DarkBls!! :D

DarkBls
18th Oct 2001, 07:16 AM
We must know have the Warren green light, and Clambert too

Aeris
20th Oct 2001, 08:02 AM
We must know have the Warren green light, and Clambert too

Fu<b></b>ck no, I dont want no friggin rank man. Yous better let me keep ma angel if yous gunna change. Stright up!
Sh<b></b>it... I like it how it is, I dont like change man :(

DLL
20th Oct 2001, 12:51 PM
Aeris, shut up.

If you're going to object to something, use valid points. Don't say "you better not because I don't want it" like you OWN the forums or something.

Aeris
20th Oct 2001, 03:28 PM
DLL, who aksed you man?
I was expressin a mu'fu<B></b>ckin oppinion
Yous better let me keep ma angel if yous gunna change. Stright up!
This was meant playfully not abrasively. :rolleyes:

DarkBls
21st Oct 2001, 10:46 AM
BTW I know a VB Hack exist which allow both avatar AND ranks.. But I don't know if we can customize the inf forum like that and let other forum as before

Aeris
21st Oct 2001, 11:24 AM
But seriously I really would like to keep ma avitar.
So if that hack would work...

yurch
23rd Oct 2001, 08:41 PM
Commander Obvious sounds wierd. :con:

Starstreams
23rd Oct 2001, 11:51 PM
You have got to be kidding me; this thread is still going on.

Lets do a survey on how many people have job’s

Seriously, the ranking idea is cool if you want to put it under someone’s avat, but whether we realize it or not, them little pictures have an effect on our emotional judgment on a psychological level the instant we see a post. "Both or none, but not one or the other".

What would be so hard about having it set up with the rank under the image? Get rid of that Front page and switch to Dreamweaver UltraDev ;)

DarkBls
24th Oct 2001, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Starstreams
What would be so hard about having it set up with the rank under the image? Get rid of that Front page and switch to Dreamweaver UltraDev ;)

What are you talking about ? This site is not static !
It is a php/mysql combo powered. Nothing realted to a choice between frontpage or Dreamweaver !

Starstreams
24th Oct 2001, 12:28 AM
I know that.
it was kind of a joke on the whole matter. IT’s just amazing how this topic could extend five pages long, but know one ever talks about the bug in the software causing our location to not show.

striderteen
27th Oct 2001, 02:01 AM

What are you talking about ? This site is not static !
It is a php/mysql combo powered. Nothing realted to a choice between frontpage or Dreamweaver !

Yay for MySQL!!!!

My vote is for ranks.

DarkBls
31st Oct 2001, 06:26 AM
We have the GREEN light from Warren Guys !!! :D

TitanBlue
31st Oct 2001, 06:54 AM
Fox one... out.

:D

Kewl !!!

If you need help, you know where to find me Darky ;)

TitanBlue
General of the bavarian naval mountain force

DarkBls
31st Oct 2001, 07:03 AM
The first thing is to be sure it can be technicaly done...

I will try to find the answer.. Keep checking...

DLL
31st Oct 2001, 10:13 AM
Right on! :tup:

DarkBls
31st Oct 2001, 01:46 PM
The VBulletin forum will be upgrade next week and this version will be able to do that !!!

Here is the current project : (But just a project. It can be modified of course)

I will draw ranks and post them here. If someone can do best than me after seeing mine, he will post them too here.

DLL
31st Oct 2001, 02:40 PM
So can you summarize what's going to happen DB? We're going to have avatars AND ranks? What are the graphics for the ranks going to look like? Are there going to be three sets of different graphics?

DarkBls
31st Oct 2001, 02:51 PM
We will all lose our avatars. Avatars+ranks are too huge to handle for slow mode according to BuF admins.

We will have 3 sets of ranks:

Regular Army: For Infiltration Community
Special Ops: For Infiltration Team member
Military Police: For Infiltration Admin/Mods

The highest rank of the spec ops will be only reachable by Warren.

You will see what graphic look like soon. (I didn't do it yet, but I know what they will look like).
I have no particular skill in drawing, so my post will have only the purpose to show them to you. If none is able to do better of course we will use them.

MadWoffen
31st Oct 2001, 03:16 PM
What about the "you can choose your avatar after xxx posts ?":(

Sorry but I don't give a f<b></b>uck about knowing I'm a captain or a general if it is to replace my Woffen avatar!

DarkBls
31st Oct 2001, 03:20 PM
Well the choosing avatrs option doesn't very fitt well into the syetm. BTW this is not a definitive solution.

Furthermore you can add your current avatar to your sig !

{GD}Ghost
31st Oct 2001, 04:04 PM
Aren't the rankings a little mixed up? Doesn't Major come after Captain?

DarkBls
31st Oct 2001, 04:43 PM
This rank, is not exactly American ,one neither french one, neither any other else.

I didn't want to refer to a current one, because we are from all around the world.

Note: In french Major is not after Captain but before. We call that "Adjudant Major" it is the rank just before the "sous-lieutenant"

{GD}Ghost
31st Oct 2001, 06:37 PM
Ahhhh. I C

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 06:02 AM
A quick peek of what Infiltration Member ranks may look like:
This not definitive at all.

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 06:58 AM
Same for community member

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 07:39 AM
And for mods/admis:

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 07:41 AM
The are not so bad, what do you think ?

Zundfolge
1st Nov 2001, 08:01 AM
They look cool...although they look more Navy then Army. :)

Fuct
1st Nov 2001, 09:46 AM
Ronald says, eat ****

Aeris
1st Nov 2001, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Fuct
Ronald says, eat ****

Yup, im with Fuct, :tdown:

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Fuct
Ronald says, eat ****

Could you express your though a bit further ?

Do you that because you was against the rank system or because you don't like the graphics ?
If it is the first, sorry but the majority want it, if it the second one explain what should be changed.

DLL
1st Nov 2001, 10:37 AM
DB,
My first impression is they're kinda ugly. Are those patches that go on top of the shoulder? They kinda look like neck ties.

How about more like this:

http://w3fp.arizona.edu/nrotc/images/marine_e2.gif http://w3fp.arizona.edu/nrotc/images/marine_e3.gif http://w3fp.arizona.edu/nrotc/images/marine_e4.gif http://w3fp.arizona.edu/nrotc/images/marine_e5.gif http://w3fp.arizona.edu/nrotc/images/marine_e6.gif http://w3fp.arizona.edu/nrotc/images/marine_e7.gif http://w3fp.arizona.edu/nrotc/images/marine_e9_sgtmaj.gif

Also, check this (http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.gay/EngPages/ArmForce) link out if you're looking for French ranks.

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by DLL
DB,
My first impression is they're kinda ugly. Are those patches that go on top of the shoulder? They kinda look like neck ties.

Ugly.. Hmm..

Yes it is not a ties !

If we use them on the board they will be displayed horizontaly not verticaly like that.
They are patch used on shoulder.

ThX for the links (very nice page). But they are not exactly french ranks, and they are not exactly american ranks (officer). They must not be exactly than any country ranks. They are Infiltration Ranks !

Do you find them ugly because of the way I draw them, or because of the rank counting system (with bar color, or stars) ?

Mad_Dog
1st Nov 2001, 11:51 AM
these are optional right? it's a good idea, but i really like my avatar at the moment, and hope i can choose...

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 11:53 AM
Well no it is not optional. It is why we started a poll.

BTW any avatar can be inserted in any sig !

Mad_Dog
1st Nov 2001, 11:55 AM
not optional? sorry, but that is dumb... i don't want my avatar in my sig... it's avatar size. you should just let people choose the images and add them themselves...

Aeris
1st Nov 2001, 12:18 PM
I really dont want, "miltary eye-candies"

It takes away peoples indeviduality, I type in ebonics cause it makes me an indevidual, a way to express ma self, I can get ma personality accross much clearer by using ebonics.

I belive tha same is to be said for avitar an sigs, its no good saying, you can still retain indeviduality in your sig cause in my oppinion its not a viable enough excuse to get me to change the way I feel about military ranks.

Custom-made avitars adds alot too tha boards for example its adds;

Colour
Indeviduality (as allready stated)
A more pleasing invroment in which to be around (IMO)
Expression

To name but a few, if this whole idea is seriously going to be implemented as it would seem it is, it would be a very very good idea to create atlest 1 more poll about this if not more, so people can have the oppertunity to reconsider there vote, I dont think many peoples really thought this would be implemented, it seem a lil rushed, in my oppionion.

Thas all I got to say for tha minute
-Aeris

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 12:29 PM
A sig alone can add colour and individuality without any need for avatar.

Warren said it is an exellent idea.

Doing antoher poll will be have less ense because fewer people will vote.

I think you are just afraid because it is new. With that system we will have an original board and show how the inf community is linked.

Mad_Dog
1st Nov 2001, 12:51 PM
A sig alone can add colour and individuality without any need for avatar.

Warren said it is an exellent idea.

I think you are just afraid because it is new. With that system we will have an original board and show how the inf community is linked.

i don't like having a sig... plus i don't have hosting space, and don't want to be bothered getting it from people.

warren probably likes ketchup. i hate that sh<i></i>it. no disrespect to warren, but i don't care what he thinks about this idea.

i think another poll, this time with a time limit makes more sense, just like a real poll or election... plus, this poll is only up in the off topic forum, not the best cross section of the community.

i'm not afraid cause it's new... i'm afraid cause i really like my avatar, not a military rank. i'm not in the army, and i don't want to pretend i am. i want an original me, not an original board. as long as i can switch back to my old one, that's all i really care about.

here is a solution that will please all everyone, within reason: i'm assuming when this is implemented, everyone's avatar will change according to their post count. when this happens, the people who want to keep their rank can do so, while the people who want their old avatar back can simply change back to it. pleases everyone i think...

DLL
1st Nov 2001, 01:36 PM
DB - I didn't know they would be horizontal rather than vertical. No, I'm not saying your drawing is ugly. I think they would look nicer if they were more compact.

Aeris - You've made like 8 posts to this thread to say "I don't like this idea." We know you don't like it.

Mad_Dog - This poll has been here long enough and seen by enough people.

Having an "avatar" is a relatively new thing for the Inf forums. Everyone did fine without them before.

phatcat
1st Nov 2001, 01:45 PM
I'm for the ranks. but I think these are pertty ugly :hmm:

and they are not centered.

Keganator
1st Nov 2001, 01:48 PM
I think they look okay. Maybe some spacing issues would be needed, but hey :D At first I was against it, but you know, this is INF, and we can live without our avatars, we can just work it into our Sig's. That'll give you something to do at night instead of sitting on the couch eating potato chips. :D

Hadmar
1st Nov 2001, 01:51 PM
Um I don't like the replace avatars idea. I don't use one myself (yet) but I like to see who posted what without reading the names first, just by a quick look at the avatar. So why don't add it additionaly to the avatar? It could be displayed right below it.
--------------
"Having an "avatar" is a relatively new thing for the Inf forums. Everyone did fine without them before."

Dosn't matter, we have them now. Humanity did quite well without cars. But we have them only since a century. Take them away!
-----------------
"Mad_Dog - This poll has been here long enough and seen by enough people."

I ignored it couse I don't care about it. Of course I didn't know it would replace the avatars or I would have voted "no".
--------------
"...this is INF, and we can live without our avatars, we can just work it into our Sig's."

Only if you tell me how to use an image that I have attached to a post as a URL for a sig.

Com on it can't be so hard to add one additionaly avatar (rank) to an account. Or ad an "my mood" icon to the account and use this for the rank.

Mad_Dog
1st Nov 2001, 01:57 PM
my idea still seems like the best solution to me... anyone else think so? and i could live without my avatar, but i would rather have it blank than have a military rank... i just don't want a military badge up there. like i said before, i'm not in the army and not interested in pretending. if i was i the army i would have my own up there.

phatcat
1st Nov 2001, 02:01 PM
yeah be'n a n00b Mad_Dog you wouldn't know!! :p

heh :D

I don't need my portrait. I only use it becasue I think it adds to my posts. And I think the military ranks fit the board.

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by phatcat
I'm for the ranks. but I think these are pertty ugly :hmm:

and they are not centered.

It is just to show how will be the ranks. If someone can design the ranks with a nicer representation, of course we will use them !

According to BuF admin rank+avatar is too much.

yurch
1st Nov 2001, 02:07 PM
Tiffy brought up an excellent point in that poll; He wanted to use the armorer(sp?) logo from his army.
Keep in mind that BuF has limitations on sig sizes, AND avatars take up no extra page space.
Not to mention that most people have to find a host for thier sig.
Avatar and rank would be resonable.

But look at the "experienced" and "godlike" messages in the avatar - almost everyone has gotten rid of them. They are ranks.
And almost everyone has opted not to display them.

If you ask me, its just going to enrage some forum members.

Hadmar
1st Nov 2001, 02:10 PM
"According to BuF admin rank+avatar is too much."

Too much of what? Bandwide? Work?

I can't understand both of them. Bandwide can't be the problem since every browser supports cache. Work can't be the problem since (that's if I understand the way php works right) it's only a matter of copy/paste a part of a php script and make a little change to it. So what is "too much"?

And if I understand it wrong and it is realy too much, hell why don't put it as an option? We already have something like that! Just look at what's written under my name, that's added automaticaly when you don't enter something in the field.

yurch, I didn't allow you to instapost me! ;) :D

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 02:14 PM
I don't know if it can be done but After 1200 post the guy can choose their avatar. The regular one or a custom one.

DLL
1st Nov 2001, 02:15 PM
yurch - I think a few people might get their panties in a bunch at first, but really it's a trivial matter.

Mad_Dod - It's not about YOU being in the army.. :confused: It's just a fun visual for this military based mod.

Hadmar
1st Nov 2001, 02:25 PM
I don't know if it can be done but After 1200 post the guy can choose their avatar. The regular one or a custom one.

Wonderfull!
Splendit!

You know what this means? Useles SPAM all the way till someone can change it. SPAM sucks, I know it. We have a SPAMer in our clan, he started an own SPAM thread. He has >2000 post now and the rest of us <100 (just to show the dimensions).

/me searchs for the SPAM thread to SPAM the hell out of this forum

[/sarkasm]

Why not set the postcount limit to 0?

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 02:29 PM
I use to delete SPAM thread... And a deleted post don't xount in postcount ;)

MadWoffen
1st Nov 2001, 02:31 PM

Can I post 500 posts in a day ?!? :D:p :D

phatcat
1st Nov 2001, 02:31 PM
my god you people bitch like old women. and over the most stupidest things @ that :rolleyes:

its a fu*k'n picture in the left hand side. god damn. just haveing one in your signature is good enought. I know some boards that won't even let you have that.

this board is pertty lean on do'n what even the minority want.

I think if warren likes its, why the fu*k not.
I don't think its gonna ruin your damn day not to have a picture of your your slef or a clan logo.

there is better things to bitch about in this life :p

Mad_Dog
1st Nov 2001, 02:32 PM

that is dumb. that really asks for spam... someone wants their own avatar, so they spam till they can change it. and why 1200? again, i think my idea is good...

Mad_Dod - It's not about YOU being in the army.. It's just a fun visual for this military based mod.

i know it's not... i just think this fun visual should be an option. maybe i will use it at some point... i'd just rather not right now.

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 02:34 PM
Yes of course. And I can delete thousand by second

Hadmar
1st Nov 2001, 02:36 PM
I use to delete SPAM thread... And a deleted post don't xount in postcount ;)

OK no problem. I'll just start to post a " :con: " as a reply in all the threads. And I'm starting with the verry first one that was ever posted on this board. Oh, off course I'll do the same with all the threads in ALL BuF forums. So after I have my 50000 postcount I get banned for SPAMing and start over.

So again, why not set the postcount limit to 0?

Mad_Dog
1st Nov 2001, 02:36 PM
why can't you change it from the very beginning though? here is a solution that will please all everyone, within reason: i'm assuming when this is implemented, everyone's avatar will change according to their post count. when this happens, the people who want to keep their rank can do so, while the people who want their old avatar back can simply change back to it. pleases everyone i think...

what do you think of that?

Hadmar
1st Nov 2001, 02:41 PM
Mad_Dog, that's exactly what I said :p

"just haveing one in your signature is good enought."

Guess I have to say it again: Only if you tell me how to use a php URL from an attachement as URL for a sig.

Mad_Dog
1st Nov 2001, 02:43 PM
the question is, who said it first?:D

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Hadmar
Mad_Dog, that's exactly what I said :p

"just haveing one in your signature is good enought."

Guess I have to say it again: Only if you tell me how to use a php URL from an attachement as URL for a sig.

You cannot. The direct sig link from a board hosted picture is forbidden.

About the custon at zero.. No.

It would better that way for newbies

Hadmar
1st Nov 2001, 02:51 PM
"You cannot."

I know, our clan forum uses the same software but the admin choosed to don't display attached images automaticaly. And I tryed, belife me.

"About the custon at zero.. No.

It would better that way for newbies"

Um could you explain why?

Oh, does this mean that everybody <1200 posts is a newbie?

Am I a newbie?
/me waits for everyone to say "hell yeah" so that I can go to sleep in peace :D

Mad_Dog
1st Nov 2001, 02:51 PM

About the custon at zero.. No.

It would better that way for newbies

why is it better for newbies?

dammit hadmar... you're always instaposting me!!!:D

{GD}Ghost
1st Nov 2001, 03:37 PM
Well, this poll has been here forever and the results are the results, like it or not.

What is this? Did I hear someone ask for a re-count? :rolleyes:
Yeah, ok. What do you think this is, a friggin' Presidential election? The people have spoken, so let it be done.

On a related subject:

Regardless of the ranking images used, I suggest that the main color of the ranking image be different colors depending on whether a person is an mod/admin, team member or community member. In the graphics that were posted by Dkbls, the color of the tabs were all black with the ranking insignia "pinned" onto it. How about something like this: Black=community member, grey=admin/mod white=teammember. (Insert any color variation that would best work.) This way, you can tell just by looking at a person's rank insig, what role he/she holds in the INF community.

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 04:03 PM
With mine you can:

Community member: ranks are thin with a grenade symbol and mainly gold

Team member: Ranks are bold with two arrow symbol

Mod/Admin: Ranks are grey with a grey grenade symbol

Keganator
1st Nov 2001, 04:05 PM
I think Phatcat said it best:

its a fu*k'n picture in the left hand side. god damn. just haveing one in your signature is good enought.

G-Fresh
1st Nov 2001, 04:40 PM
Sniff, bye bye little G *waves*

Mad_Dog
1st Nov 2001, 04:41 PM
i still want darkbls to answer my question:why is it better for newbies?

if he can...

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 04:50 PM
I would like to force newbies to be a part of our community.
That way, they have to participate in the Inf board.

DLL
1st Nov 2001, 04:50 PM
Answer you not he may...
Hard to understand is the DarkBLS.
Always in motion is he. :con:

/edit - Instaposted :p

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 04:55 PM
Sorry, I use to post then fix.

Mad_Dog
1st Nov 2001, 05:00 PM

hard to understand is right... maybe i don't understand, but how is this forcing people to be a part of the community? how do they have to participate in the board?

i just realized something as well... we are not just registered in the INF forums, we are registered in ALL of the BuF forums. so how do you choose who this affects? it has to be voluntary at some point along the way, since you can't give everyone registered at BuF a military rank. people are going to have to say they are a part of the INF community to get one, and what about people who are part of a whole bunch different forums? the more i think about it, the less i can see it working the way you want it to... unless INF gets it's own forums apart from BuF, and i don't think people want to leave free forums.

EDIT: spelling...

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 05:09 PM
Well I think the guy who visit our forum will not see their avatar but our rank instead.

BTW this is a new feature introduced by the brand new veriosn of the forum. (We will have them next week maybe)

A newbie if it has the same rank system as others, will feel more comfortable to be a part of the community I think. And it promotes the participation of newbies. (Spamming wil be deleted).

MadWoffen
1st Nov 2001, 05:14 PM
And when I'll post in another forum, what would it be ?
A grade or my Woffen ? There is something confusing here. What if I keep my avatar in others forums ?

Mad_Dog
1st Nov 2001, 05:19 PM
i think i get it now... whoever you view in the INF forum alone will have the rank avatar. when in other forums you see your real one. and i don't think we'll be able to pick our own after 1200 posts either, not if i understand the way it works correctly. this idea is getting worse the more i know. and so far darkbls, your reasons are pretty inane... although maybe i'm just not understanding you correctly.

DarkBls
1st Nov 2001, 05:19 PM
I think (but I have not the new VB in my hands), if you have a rank, it will be displayed only in the inf forums. And if you have a custom one, no problem you have it everywhere.

About the grphics, if none is able to provide better sets than me, we will use this one.

Aeris
1st Nov 2001, 05:29 PM

Well then surely this will justify a new poll.

-Darkbls, thanks man ;)

{GD}Ghost
1st Nov 2001, 06:00 PM
Someone wants a recount.:p

BlAcK_PlAgUe22
1st Nov 2001, 08:07 PM
DB: Invest in a better paint program. Those are fugly! :p

Im going to say no.

Aeris
1st Nov 2001, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by {GD}Ghost
Someone wants a recount.:p

****in right!
I really dont think there will be too much diffrence 2nd time round, who will win 2nd time I dont know.

But if Dark seems to think most people will vote 'for' it then whats the harm in humouring me an posting another poll!?

DLL
1st Nov 2001, 08:18 PM
Aeris would definitely be a Democrat if he lived here. :lol:

DarkBLS,
I think you should open a new thread with a focus on picking the new ranks. Make it clear that we are past the phase of deciding whether or not to have ranks. That way we can avoid further whining, er.. I mean discussion about the pro's and con's of using ranks. Maybe we can then focus on deciding how the ranks will look.

dapngwnman
1st Nov 2001, 09:12 PM
aaahhhh! gei avatars!!!if that happens im leaving this inf forums for somethin else...ewwww just the thought of those ugly things touchin my name :)

{GD}Ghost
1st Nov 2001, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Aeris

But if Dark seems to think most people will vote 'for' it then whats the harm in humouring me an posting another poll!?

Hmmm. Maybe because this whole thing is much bigger than you and its not about humoring you ?.......maybe? I could be wrong though.

{GD}Ghost
1st Nov 2001, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by DLL
Aeris would definitely be a Democrat if he lived here. :lol:

DarkBLS,
I think you should open a new thread with a focus on picking the new ranks. Make it clear that we are past the phase of deciding whether or not to have ranks. That way we can avoid further whining, er.. I mean discussion about the pro's and con's of using ranks. Maybe we can then focus on deciding how the ranks will look.

Good call, DLL. Voting is done and over with on that issue. Lets get on with the next step.

striderteen
2nd Nov 2001, 12:53 AM
I agree. Let's get this ranks stuff on the boards, NOW!

Hadmar
2nd Nov 2001, 01:00 AM
its a fu*k'n picture in the left hand side. god damn. just haveing one in your

signature is good enought. I know some boards that won't even let you have that.

...but you know, this is INF, and we can live without our avatars, we can just work

it into our Sig's

Try to get it in your skull: Me and several others on this board don't have webspace and we can't upload a sig like we can with a avatar

Well, this poll has been here forever and the results are the results, like it or

not.

Make it clear that we are past the phase of deciding whether or not to have

ranks.

I agree. Let's get this ranks stuff on the boards, NOW!

Invalid.

a) This poll is in OT. A lot people from general, development and the other parts of this forum don't visit OT. So this poll didn't reach all people who are affected by it.

b) The title od this poll says "Military Eye-candies for our board ?" I didn't care and I belife the same goes for many others. I know about this since yesterday. "Military Eye-candies replacing our avatars ?" would be a much better title.

I think you are just afraid because it is new

If the government of the USA starts voting on banning all guns and the vote ends with "hell no" the one who started it could say the same. :rolleyes:

A newbie if it has the same rank system as others, will feel more comfortable to be a

part of the community I think. And it promotes the participation of newbies. (Spamming wil

be deleted).

I don't belife this. Actualy I can't even see how this would improve anything.

Keganator
2nd Nov 2001, 02:17 AM
OMG....I can't believe people are flipping out about a f*cking WEB FORUM. It's just a forum. Nothing more, nothing less. If you want to be individualistic, and you can't have an image hosted somewhere (which many people on this board will happily do) then

a) Piss off :D
b) Whine about it to your aunt

because in the end, this is the Infiltration team's forum, not yours. If you want to do whatever you want, go pay for the vBulletin service yourself and do whatever you want. I couldn't care less if I had my beer mug, a rank, or a guy in a pink tutu over there, because I'm using a free service. That's right! I don't pay a dime, so I'll put up with whatever they want so I can have fun talking to people here and bitching about INF. ;)

In the end, they could completely remove these forums if they want, and go to e-mail only, but it's a convenience for us, payed by someone for us to use.

And if not, there's always ANSII art.

Hadmar
2nd Nov 2001, 02:34 AM
a) I won't leave.

b) I don't whine

c) I just find it ignorant to ignore the facts

d) "because in the end, this is the Infiltration team's forum, not yours."

Yepp, I agree and I won't have a problem if it just was a team descission. :eek2: I would complain about it 1 time but that's all.

BUT it is a poll. This makes me belife they wanted our oppinion, but hey, maybe that's just my insane mind.

IF they wanted our oppinion they did it the wrong way and got the oppinion of some OTlers but affect ALL Inf forum goers.

e) ANSI/ASCII art. I already tred it. Looks only good if it's BIG and big sigs annoy people. And the field under your name holds only ~40 chars.

f) I'm not here to annoy you so please don't try to annoy me. Well that's my impression about your last post and I'm probably wrong, but still...

DarkBls
2nd Nov 2001, 02:36 AM
Ansii art.. .*ahhhh* (If you know a good text painter programm which work under win32 and or Linux Qt/GTK+ contact me ;) )

Well. Here is thing will go.

No there we will not have a new poll. The decision was made to have ranks. Warren And most people according to the poll wants it.

About my the graphic ranks : I don't care if we use them or not.

But if none is able to provide a better set we will use them .

Of course you try to redraw them and post them here. But if you do your own keep mind that you must keep the order and the same rank. You just have to display them like your want.

Hadmar
2nd Nov 2001, 03:02 AM
Here you go: http://www.jave.de/ If you have problems to get it running tell me.

No there we will not have a new poll. The decision was made to have ranks. Warren And most people according to the poll wants it.

See that's exactly the problem I have with this decission. The poll feels like a Illuminati-like insider poll. Few people know about it, yet it affects all.

Again why not additionaly to the avatar OR optional OR allow us to upload sigs like we can do with avatars (you can keep the size restriction for sig uploads that already aplyes for avatars).

Hey, actualy that's a nice idea! Allow us to upload sigs! :)

DarkBls
2nd Nov 2001, 03:13 AM
ThX for the link. it looks like a cool applet. But I would like more an ANSI than ascii editor

Off topic is the most visited forum, so the poll touched almost everyone. (Running since 7 september)

Btw uploading sig is disabled on the board due to the excesive usage of disk space.

Custom avatar according to Warren is not a good idea with the rank based system. Because people will do a clone of official rank and then upload them !
So custom avatars will be disabled or enabled only at a very hight rank

About the current ranks sets. What can I do to enhance them ?

Hadmar
2nd Nov 2001, 03:51 AM
"ThX for the link. it looks like a cool applet. But I would like more an ANSI than ascii editor"

I'm not shure about that. It runns in Windows and a copy/paste of the image to notepad dosn't destroy the image so it either converts it atomaticly acording to your OS or it IS an ANSI editor.

-----

Off topic is the most visited forum, so the poll touched almost everyone. (Running since 7 september)

True it's the most visited forum but enough peoply don't enter OT at all. Also the title didn't represent one major part of the poll, the removal of the avatars.

How ever I see that I can't change it so I'll stop posting about it. :)
-----

"Custom avatar according to Warren is not a good idea with the rank based system. Because people will do a clone of official rank and then upload them !
So custom avatars will be disabled or enabled only at a very hight rank"

Now that's something I can understand :)

-----

"Btw uploading sig is disabled on the board due to the excesive usage of disk space."

And how about allowing smal sized sig uploads? The size of the current uploadable avatars for example :) ...pleeeeeeeeeeeease :)

DarkBls
2nd Nov 2001, 04:27 AM
the Uploadging sig issue, is a will of BuF admins. Not me or any other inf mods. I cannot do a thing about that.

I tried to enhance a bit the ranks by swpaing the greande symbol by knive I made:

DarkBls
2nd Nov 2001, 04:31 AM
Here is the result:

DarkBls
2nd Nov 2001, 04:47 AM
In situation with 3 different possilibities:

Eliwar
2nd Nov 2001, 07:20 AM
eww, sorry to say, but those really suck. how about letting one of the artists that frequent the board create the rankings...

something I made in about 5 minutes, they're a little more traditional. I still don't know if I like them though.

DarkBls
2nd Nov 2001, 07:38 AM
No problem !

But the rank MUST NOT match any country. (mine didn't) and must be different for the 3 'armies'.

The list of ranks was previously posted by me (20 per sets and 1 special for warren).
Should be easy to learn( mine was based on bar count and color)

If you can keep my ranking system but redraw them in a far better way, it would be cool !
etc..

Hadmar
2nd Nov 2001, 07:48 AM
I'm not shure about that. It runns in Windows and a copy/paste of the image to notepad dosn't destroy the image so it either converts it atomaticly acording to your OS or it IS an ANSI editor.

Damn I can't belife I wrote that :( it's just too dumb. I realy thought about the different charsets of DOS (ASCII) and Windows (ANSI) as I wrote that :hmm: . I'm not into ANSI art but I know 2 ANSI editors. I never used them myself so I can't tell you if they are good.

Tetradraw (*nix) (http://tentacle.dhs.org/)
and
TheDraw (DOS) (http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/49632.html)

DarkBls
2nd Nov 2001, 07:56 AM
Tetradraw si not bad you can't use the mouse. BTW I have some problem qith my font set in Llinux for a good display.

About the draw.. ahh nostalgia.. Perfect but don't run anymore uner win32 environment !

TitanBlue
2nd Nov 2001, 08:09 AM
what about a contest for the ranks? :D

TitanBlue

DarkBls
2nd Nov 2001, 08:12 AM
It is what I thoug, but we need player for this contest. We are only two ;)

Keganator
2nd Nov 2001, 11:26 AM
I like your second set better, DarkBls, except they're just too damned long! :D Shrink them up, vertically and put them vertically on the side and they might look a little better...maybe.

ATeamDan
2nd Nov 2001, 02:12 PM
will the mod symbols be just for INF mods or For all BUF mods (me points in the dirrection of the Inf close combat boards) WARNING: Pimpage time: http://www.planetunreal.com/closecombat

Keganator
2nd Nov 2001, 02:21 PM
Nope, only posts here will have the rank thingy.

DarkBls
2nd Nov 2001, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Keganator
Nope, only posts here will have the rank thingy.

Yse only in this forum.. (all inf forum). Wanna them too ? ;)

Mad_Dog
2nd Nov 2001, 05:02 PM
darkbls, (now that i'm resigned to them;)) maybe you should have warren put something on the front page about a contest... give people 2-4 weeks to come up with something, and then make a thread allowing people to vote for their favourite. it would delay implementing your idea, but it would give everyone a chance to contribute, and give us a lot more options.

DLL
2nd Nov 2001, 05:09 PM
I second that... have a contest.

Aeris
2nd Nov 2001, 05:15 PM
This is ****in wack man.

ElectricSheep
2nd Nov 2001, 05:32 PM
Sorry, Dark, but your ranks looks too cockeyed for me so I cleaned them up for ya:

http://homepage.mac.com/pgierke/Ranks/LowRank.gif
http://homepage.mac.com/pgierke/Ranks/LowRank2.gif
http://homepage.mac.com/pgierke/Ranks/MidRank.gif
http://homepage.mac.com/pgierke/Ranks/MidRank2.gif
http://homepage.mac.com/pgierke/Ranks/HighRank.gif
http://homepage.mac.com/pgierke/Ranks/HIghRank2.gif

Mad_Dog
2nd Nov 2001, 05:36 PM
i'm down with electricsheeps if anyhave to be used... sheep, your art kicks ass!!:tup:

DLL
2nd Nov 2001, 05:43 PM
ElectricSheep,
Those rock. Thanks man!

This is ****in wack man.

Sorry Aeris... I couldn't resist.. :D

{GD}Ghost
2nd Nov 2001, 06:06 PM
E.S, I really, really like those rank images!!!

However, why does it have to shaped like a shoulder tab? Why not just have the insignia on a rectangular background?

DLL
2nd Nov 2001, 06:29 PM
Like this?

Mad_Dog
2nd Nov 2001, 07:09 PM
i definitely don't want them horizontal like darkbls said... DLL has a good adaptation.

{GD}Ghost
2nd Nov 2001, 09:49 PM
Now, that rocks, DLL.

DarkBls
3rd Nov 2001, 05:14 AM
Yes it is a good idea eletric !!

I don't have the time right now to watch them in detail but, please checkyou have 20 per army, and a 21th for the in team one.
(which set for wich army, write under your post)

h0cake
3rd Nov 2001, 07:29 AM
Hmmm... well, for a forum I'm part of, we have both visual rankings and avatars.

The problem could be with the way you guys are implimenting it...

TitanBlue
3rd Nov 2001, 09:39 AM
Here's my idea for the new ranks :p

TitanBlue

{GD}Ghost
3rd Nov 2001, 10:03 AM
I think that it is a good idea to have the SentryStudios insignia on the tab like TitanBlue has shown above, for the INF Team members. (Replacing the hangman with an actual ranking insignia, of course)

TitanBlue
3rd Nov 2001, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by {GD}Ghost
I think that it is a good idea to have the SentryStudios insignia on the tab like TitanBlue has shown above, for the INF Team members. (Replacing the hangman with an actual ranking insignia, of course)

thx {GD}Ghost ;)

For those who want, here's the slightly bigger template I made. Of course you can use it as base for your ideas and replace my hangman :p with some better insignia :)

TitanBlue

Aeris
3rd Nov 2001, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by h0cake
Hmmm... well, for a forum I'm part of, we have both visual rankings and avatars.

The problem could be with the way you guys are implimenting it...

I love this fool, do this man do this!!!
Fu<b></b>ck them takin over your avitar, juss have lil stars under your name, like red for mods green for members etc...

G-Fresh
3rd Nov 2001, 01:45 PM
You mean like in the olden days?

MadWoffen
3rd Nov 2001, 03:54 PM
We still be able to change to avatar after a number of posts ?
But what about old forumers that are mainly lurkers and don't post so much ? Guys that are enlisted since 1999 but only have let's say 300 posts ?
And why should have them a lesser grade anyway ? What counts, the quality or the quantity ? :p

DENSRAW
3rd Nov 2001, 04:01 PM
This is not going to happen. Almost 40% of the community doesn't want them. It's too big of a number to just shrug off. But, since I voted no, DarkBls is going to create these things anyway...

ThunderChunky
3rd Nov 2001, 04:27 PM
Unless there is a "L337 Cube H@X0®" rank, I say...

NEIN!!!

striderteen
3rd Nov 2001, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by DENSRAW
This is not going to happen. Almost 40% of the community doesn't want them.

Oh, I see. 40% of community is suddenly more important than 60%, just because you're part of that 40%. That makes SO much sense. How could we have failed to see it?

Go back to elementary school, where you will undoubtedly learn some simple, basic mathematics. Forty (count all your fingers four times) is LESS than sixty (count all your fingers six times). See?

Hadmar
4th Nov 2001, 01:56 AM
In case you didn't notice:

Yes------------57 49.57%
No-------------45 39.13%
I don't care-----13 11.30%

Total votes 115

a) not even 50% of the comunity want's them.

b) 115 votes is not exactly every member of the comunity. As I said, many don't visit OT and the title says nothing about removing avatars.

Damn, I didn't want to post about this topic again.

DarkBls
4th Nov 2001, 11:32 AM
The question about if yes or no, we will do it is not actual anymore.

About your rank electrisheep:

I like your drawing skill for sure.

But there are some modifications to do.

1st like I said only one army must have a 21ranks. The infiltration team.
Like it was suggested the senstrystudios symbol a size down would be perfect for the inf team army.

But your ranks may appear a bit too unreal for this board. For example even if my ranks looks definitvely less good than yours, they was senseful:

The double arrow symbol is the one used for USA spec-ops and was good for the inf-team.
The grenade symbol is the one used by the french military police and fited well the admin/mod army.

The ranks was a mixed of only real one amongst countries.

So here is my wish:

Could you redone the greande symbol to be better looking ? If you can't your gray one is not bad even if it is an imaginary one.

Could you modify a bit the sentry studio symbol to get a more army symbol from it ?

Could the red one be a bit less flashy ?

Could you redraw my ranks wich was based on reality like our game but with your drawing skill ?

And it seemes people prefer to have the ranks displayed in an invisible-avatar-size box shape, so..

After that I think we will be ready for the CHANGE !
Contact me if you want more infos...

The red symbol is a bit too red maybe, but it would be a good one for the community army.

About the gray one, it is not bad and would fit well the mod/admin army.

DENSRAW
4th Nov 2001, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by striderteen

Oh, I see. 40% of community is suddenly more important than 60%, just because you're part of that 40%. That makes SO much sense. How could we have failed to see it?

Go back to elementary school, where you will undoubtedly learn some simple, basic mathematics. Forty (count all your fingers four times) is LESS than sixty (count all your fingers six times). See?

I know that forty is less than sixty. All I am saying is that 40% is a large number of people to ignore. I fail to see how you can be the biggest ****tard on these forums. It must be because of your mom tried to abort you with a coat hanger. Why don't you go back to school and learn something about politics?

DarkBls
4th Nov 2001, 12:12 PM
Calm down Densraw.

Repeat after me: The life is great. Peace in my mind. Birds are nice. FLowers are colorful... ;)

DENSRAW
4th Nov 2001, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by striderteen

I don't like having my intelligence insulted DarkBls.

{GD}Ghost
4th Nov 2001, 12:23 PM
So much for even your own political skillz, huh?

Kuroshio Apocal
4th Nov 2001, 12:34 PM

I don't like having my intelligence insulted DarkBls.

Then don't open your mouth.

Hadmar
4th Nov 2001, 12:45 PM
You guys are sooooooo nice to each other. It's realy cute.

LifesBane[4C]
4th Nov 2001, 01:43 PM
Dens, just because Al Gore had a significant amount of votes didn't mean he won over Bush, right? :)

DENSRAW
4th Nov 2001, 02:20 PM
Thank you for saying smething to me with out insulting me Lifesbane. :)

But just because Bush won, does that make it right? ;)

DarkBls
4th Nov 2001, 02:36 PM
You are guys starting to turn this thread in a politic oriented one ! :eek:

Keganator
4th Nov 2001, 04:07 PM
Come on, Give UP! The vote is over. It's already decided. The Team has Spoken. Let it be Done. Get a frontpage contest going, DarkBls!

Mad_Dog
4th Nov 2001, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Keganator
Come on, Give UP! The vote is over. It's already decided. The Team has Spoken. Let it be Done. Get a frontpage contest going, DarkBls!

damn right... get that contest going. don't keep it to yourself. :stick:

MadWoffen
4th Nov 2001, 04:16 PM
/me stfu and keeps rowing, still 452 posts to go for my avatar. :p

DENSRAW
4th Nov 2001, 05:30 PM
Are we really going to be able to choose our own avatar at 1200?

MadWoffen
4th Nov 2001, 05:39 PM
That's what he said before...

striderteen
4th Nov 2001, 11:00 PM

Yes------------57 49.57%
No-------------45 39.13%

Total votes 115

This is like Lincoln's election. It doesn't matter that 49.57% is less than fifty percent; it only matters that it's more than 39.13%. If there is no majority, a plurality will do.

As for Densraw, he really set me off with his arrogance.

You are entitled to your opinion. Don't make it sound as if your opinion has any binding value whatsoever. Mine doesn't either -- but I try to remember not to pretend it does.

striderteen
4th Nov 2001, 11:00 PM

Yes------------57 49.57%
No-------------45 39.13%

Total votes 115

This is like Lincoln's election. It doesn't matter that 49.57% is less than fifty percent; it only matters that it's more than 39.13%. If there is no majority, a plurality will do.

As for Densraw, he really set me off with his arrogance.

Don't make it sound as if your opinion has any binding value whatsoever. Mine doesn't either -- but I try to remember not to pretend it does.

DENSRAW
4th Nov 2001, 11:05 PM
It was not arrogance. I was just stating that a large number of people don't want them.

EDIT: It doesn't even matter since I'll hopefully get my avatar back at 1200.

DarkBls
5th Nov 2001, 12:24 AM
ElectrisSheep seemes to be able to design some really cool sets for us.
About the custom avatar, there is something wich annoy me and Warren.
If we allow custom avatar people will be able to do some clone of very high rank. So if theyr are enabled it will only be enabled at very high postcount. That way they will not want to try to clone high rank, because theyr already have them ;)

Hadmar
5th Nov 2001, 02:05 AM

Dude, all I did was pointing out, that you can't say 40% vs 60% couse there are ~10% that don't care about it. You can't add this 10% to the percentage of people who WANT the ranks.

I mean this post.
VVVVVVVVVVVVV

Oh, I see. 40% of community is suddenly more important than 60%, just because you're part of that 40%.

MadWoffen
5th Nov 2001, 03:45 AM
If we allow custom avatar people will be able to do some clone of very high rank. So if theyr are enabled it will only be enabled at very high postcount. That way they will not want to try to clone high rank, because theyr already have them ;)

This argument is not logic if the post count is still active. A guy that will try to clone will quickly be dennounced and will put his post count at risk!

MadWoffen
5th Nov 2001, 04:02 AM

Note: In french Major is not after Captain but before. We call that "Adjudant Major" it is the rank just before the "sous-lieutenant"

But the rank MUST NOT match any country. (mine didn't) and must be different for the 3 'armies'

Can't match any country but France...nombrilisme quand tu nous tiens... :p

DarkBls
5th Nov 2001, 06:06 AM
Nombrilisme ?

You said that because I puted major before captain, but If I put it after It will look more american..

Not because a detail is like french ranks means everything is matching ! :rolleyes:

DamienW
5th Nov 2001, 06:08 AM
Madwoffen and his crusade against french ego :rolleyes:

MadWoffen
5th Nov 2001, 06:18 AM
I wonder what is the role of Major in other countries. If it is valid only in France, why only the french grade vs the rest of the world ? :p

What are grades order in NATO or Russia ?

Max: since the time you should know I love to tease Frenchies! ;)

DarkBls
5th Nov 2001, 06:53 AM
There are not a common NATO rank as I know. Each member country have their own.

The Major in america is the french commander.

DamienW
5th Nov 2001, 06:59 AM
Well, i don't like it a lot, but the majority decided .... Max will head back to my sig ....
And if anyone wants a host for his sig, write at damien-weiss@voila.fr and link your sig, i'll be glad if i can help

MadWoffen
5th Nov 2001, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by STW Max Sterling
Well, i don't like it a lot, but the majority decided .... Max will head back to my sig ....

Keep posting, at 1200 you will have your avatar back! :D

DarkBls
5th Nov 2001, 08:54 AM

Keep posting, at 1200 you will have your avatar back! :D

Warren prefer not. Or not a much higher postcount, to prevent official rank cloning.

MadWoffen
5th Nov 2001, 09:08 AM
Have to quote myself. I don't see the risk unless the guy wants to loose all his postcounts or be banned.

This argument is not logic if the post count is still active. A guy that will try to clone will quickly be dennounced and will put his post count at risk!

{GD}Ghost
5th Nov 2001, 09:23 AM
I am also able to help people who want, with hosting their sig. I have a good amount of webspace available to me. Just PM me or Icq me @ 58476475

DarkBls
5th Nov 2001, 01:57 PM
Custom will not be enabled for now. We will see in the future.
I encourage people to make a nice sig to suit our new design change ;)

Ballistophobia
5th Nov 2001, 03:32 PM
Just really noticed this thread, hardly ever notice stickies, ironic, huh?

Well, I don't appreciate military images, I'm no gun-freak. Hell, I never even held a real gun. I like my avatar, I've been using it too long to give it up for a pic of shot up kevlar. :()

DarkBls
5th Nov 2001, 03:54 PM
It is not about the gun Ballli. it is about having Our baord a real Infiltration spirit..

Aeris
5th Nov 2001, 04:24 PM
I still say mu'fu<b></b>ck havin a rank

Ballistophobia
5th Nov 2001, 05:14 PM
DB, I'm a pacifist, I don't want a pic of anything to do with fascists regimes like the military next to my name. Only something that has to do with Tool is worthy and personally expressive enough for that.

DLL
5th Nov 2001, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Ballistophobia
DB, I'm a pacifist, I don't want a pic of anything to do with fascists regimes like the military next to my name. Only something that has to do with Tool is worthy and personally expressive enough for that.

Balli, this is a forum for a game about warfare... :confused:

Fu<b></b>ck no, I dont want no friggin rank man. Yous better let me keep ma angel if yous gunna change. Stright up!
Sh<b></b>it... I like it how it is, I dont like change man :(

But seriously I really would like to keep ma avitar.
So if that hack would work...

Yup, im with Fuct, :tdown:

This is ****in wack man.

I still say mu'fu<b></b>ck havin a rank

Aeris... please stop repeating yourself man. We all KNOW you want to keep your avatar.

Mad_Dog
5th Nov 2001, 05:49 PM
Custom will not be enabled for now. We will see in the future.
I encourage people to make a nice sig to suit our new design change ;)

It is not about the gun Ballli. it is about having Our baord a real Infiltration spirit..

how about one that says "i wish i still had my own avatar!!"?

if it does anything to the spirit, it may hurt it. i really can't see how it would improve it at all...

DLL
5th Nov 2001, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Mad_Dog
how about one that says "fu<i></i>ck darkbls is annoying, i wish i still had my own avatar"?

Way over the line. If you don't like the idea, fine. But there is no need to personally attack DarkBLS who is trying to do the best thing for the forum as a whole.

Aeris
5th Nov 2001, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by DLL
Aeris... please stop repeating yourself man. We all KNOW you want to keep your avatar.

An yet nobody is doin anything about it :confused:
Well imma have to keep protesting then aint I?

DLL
5th Nov 2001, 05:59 PM

An yet nobody is doin anything about it :confused:
Well imma have to keep protesting then aint I?

It's not protesting unless you bring valid points to the table. Posting the same message over and over is called spamming, not protesting.

Mad_Dog
5th Nov 2001, 06:05 PM
Way over the line. If you don't like the idea, fine. But there is no need to personally attack DarkBLS who is trying to do the best thing for the forum as a whole.

i don't think it's to help the forum as a whole, i think it's just cause it's his pet idea and he wants to push it through no matter what.... i'll edit my post though, it was over the line. sorry darkbls... there was no need for me to take it that far.

DLL
5th Nov 2001, 06:12 PM

i don't think it's to help the forum as a whole, i think it's just cause it's his pet idea and he wants to push it through no matter what.... i'll edit my post though, it was over the line. sorry darkbls... there was no need for me to take it that far.

There's no need to get all crazy over this. The forums used to have a graphical post count and no avatar. Because of technical reasons, this changed. Quite a few people were upset that they no longer had their "stars".

It's now possible to bring the ranks back. A vote was posted and made sticky for a long time (a few months?). The majority voted for the change. Now all I see is a few very vocal members getting very upset because it looks like they won't get their way.

/Edit - I didn't even mention that Warren is behind the idea too, which counts for quite a bit. I like the idea of ranks and I do think it adds a cool atmosphere. But if the majority voted against it, I would be against it too.

Aeris
5th Nov 2001, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by DLL

It's not protesting unless you bring valid points to the table. Posting the same message over and over is called spamming, not protesting.

Origionally posted by Aeris

I really dont want, "miltary eye-candies"

It takes away peoples indeviduality, I type in ebonics cause it makes me an indevidual, a way to express ma self, I can get ma personality accross much clearer by using ebonics.

I belive tha same is to be said for avitar an sigs, its no good saying, you can still retain indeviduality in your sig cause in my oppinion its not a viable enough excuse to get me to change the way I feel about military ranks.

Custom-made avitars adds alot too tha boards for example its adds;

Colour
Indeviduality (as allready stated)
A more pleasing invroment in which to be around (IMO)
Expression

To name but a few, if this whole idea is seriously going to be implemented as it would seem it is, it would be a very very good idea to create atlest 1 more poll about this if not more, so people can have the oppertunity to reconsider there vote, I dont think many peoples really thought this would be implemented, it seem a lil rushed, in my oppionion.

Thas all I got to say for tha minute
-Aeris

*Ahem*

I belive this post was totally disreguarded.

DLL
5th Nov 2001, 06:31 PM
You posted two or three times with valuable input. I didn't include those posts because I thought they were good posts. It's just annoying to see someone spamming the same thread with the same message over and over (which you did several times).

Aeris
5th Nov 2001, 06:33 PM
I did it bacause my posts were disreguarded!

DLL
5th Nov 2001, 06:36 PM
Your posts were not disregarded. Your vote was tallied along with everyone else's to determine the outcome.

Aeris
5th Nov 2001, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by DLL
Your posts were not disregarded. Your vote was tallied along with everyone else's to determine the outcome.

Bahhh, I cant continue without using abrasive language so I resign this thread

{GD}Ghost
5th Nov 2001, 10:59 PM
Thank God!!

Ballistophobia
6th Nov 2001, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by DLL
Balli, this is a forum for a game about warfare... :confused:

Yes, this is a <b><i><u>forum</b></i></u> for a game about warfare, an OT forum none the less. Up until now, without seque, the strange caesura that caused all this quiescent bull****, it was a personally expressive forum, so why the f<b></b>uck should we change now? If your "signature" or avatar even which are meant to be personal expressions were abrogated and you were forced to conform the superfluous and jaded, then f<b></b>uck that. I just won't post anymore. This was presageful with Opti, but not here. :hmm:

DLL
6th Nov 2001, 10:10 AM

Yes, this is a <b><i><u>forum</b></i></u> for a game about warfare, an OT forum none the less. Up until now, without seque, the strange caesura that caused all this quiescent bull****, it was a personally expressive forum, so why the f<b></b>uck should we change now? If your "signature" or avatar even which are meant to be personal expressions were abrogated and you were forced to conform the superfluous and jaded, then f<b></b>uck that. I just won't post anymore. This was presageful with Opti, but not here. :hmm:

Don't you think you're over-dramatizing things a bit? :p

DarkBls
6th Nov 2001, 12:50 PM
. I just won't post anymore.

Are you saying you don't want to participate anymore because you don't have an avatar ? :rolleyes:

The_Fur
6th Nov 2001, 01:38 PM
Leave it up to balli's puddle deep personality to NEED shiny baubles in order to live.

Aeris
6th Nov 2001, 04:29 PM

Are you saying you don't want to participate anymore because you don't have an avatar ? :rolleyes:

Fu<b></b>ckin right, has it not crossed your mind tha some dislike them, as much as you like them?

NTKB
6th Nov 2001, 06:39 PM
No offense but if im forced to wear a french rank patch im going to:

a> drop my rifle and run for my life screaming "Everyone for themselves!"

b> Puke.

c> never post or even read this message board again.

Thank you.

DLL
6th Nov 2001, 06:48 PM
The forum ranks are not French ranks.

DLL
6th Nov 2001, 06:50 PM
For community:
http://homepage.mac.com/pgierke/InfiltrationRanks/Community1.gif
For Inf team:
http://homepage.mac.com/pgierke/InfiltrationRanks/Spec2.gif
For mod/admin:
http://homepage.mac.com/pgierke/InfiltrationRanks/ModTeam2.gif

Aeris
6th Nov 2001, 06:57 PM
Communtiy ones are ugly dont like tha colour. maybe yous could change it?

If I gots to have one of those sh<b></b>its under ma name untill I reach 1200 then I want it to atleast be attractive. Tha blue an white is aiight, then is gets progressively worse.

DENSRAW
6th Nov 2001, 06:59 PM
DarkBls: This is not something you can force on people. It has to be a voluntary choice. Almost 40% of the people don't want it. This just wont fly dude.

Also, no offence to Warren, but I don't give a **** if he fully supports this or not. He posts, at most, once a week. He's not the one who has to live with it. We are. There better be a way to hack this.

DENSRAW
6th Nov 2001, 07:12 PM
Also, another thing I'd like to point out is that this idea is stolen from the Platoon19 forums.

See, Mojo was right. He warned you about this kind of fascist ****. What's next, will DarkBalls make us all wear yellow felt stars?

Sparky_NZ
6th Nov 2001, 07:13 PM
I agree with Aeris, the colours are not that nice. It's not even a nice blood-red. Blue would be best, but if you have to stick with red, make it a bit more bloody.

Thrash123
6th Nov 2001, 07:15 PM
It, in my opinion, should be by choice weather you have a military or custom avatar (military being default). I've seen this implemented in a few forums, and it works out. I for one would prefer to have my own avatar rather than a rank, as I hate green and red enough as is.

Donnellizer
6th Nov 2001, 07:20 PM
Jesus Christ on a ****ing motorcycle! What is with this!? Why doesn't everyone who wants a rank, HAVE ONE. You can choose in the menu:

[list=a]
Military Rank
Custom Avatar
[/list=a]

It's pretty simple! Think of it as a street sign: Mindless zombies go this way, budday!

Keganator
6th Nov 2001, 07:25 PM
*sigh* Everyone hates change. How about I tell a little story.

Once upon a time, there were two little men and two mice that lived in a giant maze. Every morning the two men and the two rats would scurry about looking for food, going down one corridor, then another. Every day, both the mice and the men would find a few pieces of cheese and would be happy.

One day, the men stumbled upon a large pile of cheese, one so massive that they couldn't take it all back to their home. So day by day, as the mice scurried around looking for cheese in their normal way, the men would walk to where the cheese was, take as much as they wanted, then leave.

A few weeks later, the cheese was all gone. The mice still scurried about looking for more, but the men still went to where the pile used to be. For a week they went, saying 'It'll be there tomorrow', getting hungrier and hungrier. Eventually they died of starvation. The mice continued their random pattern of scurrying about and continued to survive.

The moral of this story: Don't get to comfortable with one thing; it might go away and then you're screwed. so...

QUIT BITCHING :D The cheese is almost gone...let's move on.

Donnellizer
6th Nov 2001, 07:33 PM
What a nice completely illogical comparison you have there! Well, let's start the list of logical fallicies, SHALL WE?!

[list=1]
Was the cheese a expression of individuality?
Was the change forcing one to be a mindless automoton?
[/list=1]

1. NO. It was food, you needed it to survive.
2. No, they were simply to stupid to find new cheese.

Try not to make any more invalid comparisons, PLEASE?

Thrash123
6th Nov 2001, 07:36 PM
Because some people live better lives with custom avatars.

We aren't dealing with life or death, there are no consequences with having both custom and set avatars available - all the better! You still have the ranks, and you still have the customs. Jeez, is it that hard to comprehend?

Keganator
6th Nov 2001, 07:41 PM
Okay, story version 2.

Once upon a time, there were two little men and two mice that lived in a giant maze. Every morning the two men gave speeches to the two mice. Their podium had a picture of Warren on it. They always had lots of cheese.

One day, someone took down the picture on the podium. The two men were happier than could be, and started putting their own picture on the podium when the talked. The two mice still ate cheese.

A few weeks later, the podium was replaced with a picture that was nailed to it. The mice still scurried about looking for cheese, but the men bitched and moaned about the picture. For a week they went, saying 'I need my picture on the podium to talk!'. Eventually the mice started complaining, and they went back to their speeches. There was still lots of cheese.

:D

DENSRAW
6th Nov 2001, 08:05 PM
Just because you don't feel strongly about it doesn't mean others don't Keganator. Don't treat it lightly. It's a big deal to some.

And, as a senior clanmate, STFU! :D

Keganator
6th Nov 2001, 08:21 PM
Aww... ;)

Donnellizer
6th Nov 2001, 08:47 PM
HOW CAN I GIVE UP THIS AVATAR!?

I WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH.

Keganator
6th Nov 2001, 08:51 PM
:lol: Nice. Oh well...

Ballistophobia
6th Nov 2001, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by DLL
Don't you think you're over-dramatizing things a bit? :p

I'm being half-serious, obviously. :rolleyes:

No, just not as much. I was exaggerating, but I hate it when boards stifle personal expression, WAY after it's been allowed, like Opti...
Plus I use people's avatars as a means of identification. If we all have the same or similar avatars after using our own personal versions all this time, I think it will lead to a lot of unnecessary bulls<b></b>hit.

DLL, those aren't cool. My avatar is what <i>I</i> define as cool, not some conformist bulls<b></b>hit. :rolleyes:

Dens, WERD!

Thrash, WERD!

Finally, Don. Someone catches on. See, the problem is they know that we could be using military avatars if we really wanted to (see many people doing that?), but they don't want to make it a choice, just a regulation for their own personal aesthetics, rather than their community's. :rolleyes:

Donnellizer
6th Nov 2001, 09:03 PM
I love how people accuse US of only doing this because we want our own, special avatars... When THEY simultaneously take action, just because they want everything so it is aesthetically pleasing to THEM. Why not please both crowds. IT'S JUST BLOODY LOGICAL, AND IT MAKES SOME GODDAMN SENSE.

Mad_Dog
6th Nov 2001, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Thrash123
Because some people live better lives with custom avatars.

We aren't dealing with life or death, there are no consequences with having both custom and set avatars available - all the better! You still have the ranks, and you still have the customs. Jeez, is it that hard to comprehend?

:tup:... and i'm sorry kegenator, but your stories were boring.... i read them out lout to my sister (6yo) and she though so too.:D

Keganator
6th Nov 2001, 09:54 PM
Yes they are boring. :D I heard them at a training session where they were changing the sylabus.

Mad_Dog
6th Nov 2001, 10:14 PM
that would explain it...:)

DarkBls
7th Nov 2001, 12:38 AM
Also, another thing I'd like to point out is that this idea is stolen from the Platoon19 forums.

See, Mojo was right. He warned you about this kind of fascist ****. What's next, will DarkBalls make us all wear yellow felt stars?

You are completly mad...

Mad_Dog
7th Nov 2001, 12:54 AM
you still haven't given us a good answer as to why we can't have a choice between custom and rank avatars... care to give us one?

Keganator
7th Nov 2001, 01:03 AM
Seems to me someone said,

It would encourage spamming.

Even though DarkBLS said he could deal with it, it's still an annoying issue.

Mad_Dog
7th Nov 2001, 01:25 AM
i didn't mean a custom avatar after so many posts, i meant from the beginning.. no spamming, and everyone is happy.

TitanBlue
7th Nov 2001, 01:50 AM
you still haven't given us a good answer as to why we can't have a choice between custom and rank avatars... care to give us one?
Mad_Dog, the answer was already given before you requested it:
We will all lose our avatars. Avatars+ranks are too huge to handle for slow mode according to BuF admins.

Before posting this above, Darky mentioned a VB hack for the board to try to keep both, rank and avatar. Seems not to work :(

TitanBlue

{GD}Ghost
7th Nov 2001, 03:28 AM
This is not our forum, nor is the INF team obligated to even allow us to have any say as to what goes on with the forum. The poll was posted and the votes tallied. Be thankful that they even put this to a vote. Now, just because the results of the vote were not in favor of the 40% that didn't want it doesn't change how voting works. Majority rules.....PERIOD. This is the method that was chosen to decide and the decision has been made. Anyone who finds this decision that big a deal may take their leave and know that you are in the minority as far as those that voted. Do you realize that you are bitching about a graphic barely twice the size of your fingernail? If you are so expressive, you can adjust to this design change by expressing yourself in your signature. If not, then you are not really all that expressive, are you? Several people have offered to host sigs, so there is no excuse for all this damned whining about avatars. I'm sorry if you don't understand that this is like all other voted issues. The 40% may have voted against, but they lost the vote. Either adjust or get the f*ck out. I guess there is a third option: The poll is still open. If you think there are really so many more people against this decision, tell them to come and vote.

Hadmar
7th Nov 2001, 04:35 AM
Do you want to have such eye-candy ?
This poll is closed.

Since I voted already I can't confirm it's closed, but it says so.

DarkBls
7th Nov 2001, 09:26 AM
i didn't mean a custom avatar after so many posts, i meant from the beginning.. no spamming, and everyone is happy.

Some people may try to upload a custom avatar which duplicate the official one.

Did you forget guys, we haven't got any avatars in our last board, and none were bitching about lack of expression possibilities ? :rolleyes:

The poll was open for more than 2 months to catch as many people as it can. We has got a result. Electric made some really nice ranks for us. The train is running and will not stop till the end.

{GD}Ghost
7th Nov 2001, 09:31 AM
Righto!

MadWoffen
7th Nov 2001, 10:10 AM

Some people may try to upload a custom avatar which duplicate the official one.

Wrong! I asked you a clear question for 2 times and you avoid answering me.

Why a guy will put his 1200 posts at risk if being caught ??? He will start from 0 again and wouldn't be able to choose his avatar.