PDA

View Full Version : This is so going to clash with the WoD coding forum...

Dragonfly_of_Forgery
5th Sep 2001, 07:11 AM
I think you should merge them.

2COOL4-U
5th Sep 2001, 09:50 AM
Yep it should be merged!

TaoPaiPai
5th Sep 2001, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by 2COOL4-U
Yep it should be merged!
If you do such a thing PLEASE keep the chimeric color scheme,because the Wod colors are so ugly that I don't bother to go there.

Kangus
5th Sep 2001, 03:08 PM
yeah, our ugly color scheme is nasty.
I'm all for a merging of this & WoD's Ask A Coder Forum though.

mr.s-d
5th Sep 2001, 05:44 PM
definately an interesting idea, though the mutation device & chimeric forums co-existed for a long time without anyone complaining of clashing

Prophetus
5th Sep 2001, 05:51 PM
Let me know what you guys decide, to merge or not. Also, if the WoD team isn't happy with their color scheme, then I'll change it to something more pleasing to the eye;)

ca
5th Sep 2001, 11:40 PM
I'm against it for many reasons, all of which are probably quite obvious. :) I'm sure there's room for all kinds of UScript forums - Mutation Device used to have some serious action and there was no major problems of clash that I know of...

Dragonfly_of_Forgery
6th Sep 2001, 05:51 AM
Well, I guess you can quite happily have 2 or 3 or 45 coding forums but I think it would be more efficient if everyone went to one place. I would like to be able to post a question somewhere and know that as many wise men as possible were there to answer it.

Then again, centralizing is what made Fileplanet....

If I was in charge, I would have a coding section of PuF with the coding help, mod request, work etc and perhaps just have each site with one forum for discussing things that are relavant to that sight and not coding in general (For example, the WoD mod might get discussed in the WoD forum.) I'm not in charge.

zenzelezz
6th Sep 2001, 04:52 PM
I for one am against a merger... I know there's both pros and cons with merging, but I think having more forums allows you to post to the one that seem to have more visitors who know about certain things than others...

Just my opinion though

Prophetus
6th Sep 2001, 10:24 PM
[i]...If I was in charge, I would have a coding section of PuF with the coding help, mod request, work etc and perhaps just have each site with one forum for discussing things that are relavant to that sight and not coding in general (For example, the WoD mod might get discussed in the WoD forum.) I'm not in charge. [/B]

Our "Editing" forum is for people who need answers to coding, mapping, mods and more.

Dragonfly_of_Forgery
7th Sep 2001, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Prophetus

Our "Editing" forum is for people who need answers to coding, mapping, mods and more.

I consider coding and mapping two quite seperate areas. That editing forum is what I would call 'too centeralized'. When I go there, I have to wade through pages of mapping information to find coding stuff.

Of course mapping and coding do overlap, so there are advantages of putting them in one forum.

If you have two forums I think they should be focused towards different things.

I've actually decided that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I had something to say.. ah, yes. What about making a poll about a merger?

Euphoric Beaver
7th Sep 2001, 11:44 AM
I think it would be a great idea because at the moment I have to post in 3 forums to make sure all the coders see it.

And I think a poll should solve it, after all this is for the Community. ;)

ca
7th Sep 2001, 02:47 PM
Yes, for the community, but not necessarily run by the community...

Postal
7th Sep 2001, 10:07 PM
I was origional all for a mearger, but over time, I think having seperate forums and such is better, look at other old groups, when you have everyone in one place, a forum error, or other such thing could cause a devistating loss to the comunity.

Truefully I have been rather unhappy with being hosted on the PU forum, the first person I delt with refused to use the WoD logo, and add various sections I wanted, It wasnt untill Prophetus that anything good happened. I gave up on a logo and a color scheem.

I think as for development, Mapping, Coding, Modeling, should each have thier own forum, I stoped visiting the pu editing forum, to mappy for me.

Ask a coder was origionagly was suspostly to be "Ask the Expert" And we were going to have FishFace and myself as the experts. Unfortunaly I lost contact with FishFace jsut as Ask A coder came into bloom.

WoD, Chimeric, and many other have co existed with the only same thing being hosted on PU. I mearger could be wonderfull, but, to have all the eggs in one basket, its easier to find, and to protect, but if something goes wrong.

Anyways, I suspose, should there be a mearger, it would be perfect time for me to step down, hand over the reigns of the WoD forum, and leave WoD, and stop bothering to stay current with the U community. It would be great just to think only about school and WAR again.

I think forums should be run by the types of people the forum was made for, ie the coder forum, moderated by coders, etc.

Anyways, my last words on the subject, at this moment, a mearge of the Ask a coder section, would only be pulled off with out my permission, at this point in time, I think its best as it is, and the main way I could make it better is to find FishFace. Of course Prophetus can pritty much do what ever he wants.

Hey! I like fileplanet.

Oh, I hate to say it, but for practicle purposes, Kangus and I are the WoD team.

Kangus
9th Sep 2001, 01:53 PM
perhaps a merger will happen in time. I don't know.
I'm putting all site decisions and work on the site until Kobain finishes redesigning it.

Postal
12th Sep 2001, 03:53 PM
Well I am no longer part of WoD, its up to Kangus and Ca now.

Dragonfly_of_Forgery
13th Sep 2001, 07:48 AM
Wouldn't any forum error take down both forums anyway if they are both on PuF?
I see the point though. Imagine losing a years worth of coding Qs%As.

Kangus
13th Sep 2001, 09:56 AM
yeah, if they are both on PUF, moving the threads from forum to forum is easily done.

Prophetus
13th Sep 2001, 09:03 PM
This forum and every forum hosted at PU is mirrored on a seperate server. Everything you post is automatically backed up on our unreal2.net server database. The only time you would lose any information is IF both GSI and our servers go down at the exact moment you hit "Submit Reply".

However, we do experience bugs. Past threads have been known to merge or incorrectly display images from other threads, but that isn't a wide spread problem.

As for merging certain forums, I have always believed that individual forums should maintain their respective topic areas.

Postal, I'm a bit confused at your abrupt departure and hope you the best. I was unaware you were unhappy with our service. I tried to accomidate you the best way I could. I hope you aren't leaving with ill feelings.

regards,