PDA

View Full Version : Unreal 2 - NOT UT2

Drevlin
2nd Sep 2001, 04:45 PM
I think something thats beeing ignored here is that Unreal 2 is the sequell to Unreal 1 - NOT UT.
UT And Unreal 2 got almost NOTHING to do with eachother.
If you havnt played U1 i advice you to do so before U2 gets here. Its a great game and still, after 3 years, i play it in singleplayer whenever i can.

ANYWAY
Unreal 2 is the sequell to Unreal 1! NOT UT! So stop saying "but they did it like this in UT!" or alike.
UT can go screw a donkey >:)
Real game0rz play U1

Take care now

Deathwing
3rd Sep 2001, 04:05 AM
You're right about U2 not being a sequel to U1, but you are dead wrong if you think "real gamers" play U1 instead of UT.

Drevlin
3rd Sep 2001, 07:00 AM
I said that U2 IS the sequell to unreal 1 - you better get some glaces :P

Unreal 1 was a very original game that alot of people hate, and alot of people love. I am one of the later.
UT is not as original as U1 as it was made to please a bigger audience.
UT is a damn good game, dont get me wrong, but i like u1 more :)

durandal
3rd Sep 2001, 09:28 AM
Five reasons why you should get Unreal 1:

1. Graphics are still as breathtaking as they were a few years ago.

2. It was one of the first games to have levels outdoors instead of forcing the player to crawl around in boring, dark, dungeons (like in Quake).

3. Its soundtrack, by Straylight productions, complements the visuals for a true Unreal game experience.

4. Its not as "mindless" as UT.

5. It's inexpensive, and can be picked up on eBay for no more than $15.

Bottom line:
Like many good old black and white movies, Unreal 1 is a classic just as enjoyable as when it was first released.

IntRed
3rd Sep 2001, 10:03 AM
1. Graphics are still as breathtaking as they were a few years ago.
i guess you don't play games a lot?

Tetris L
3rd Sep 2001, 10:36 AM
U2 is the sequel to U1? Oh, really? What do the 2 games have in common, except that they are both called "Unreal"? Legend dumped everyting from U1: Weapons, characters, creatures, environments, storyline, ... There is nothing left. U2 is not a sequel to U1. It has been built from scratch and is a completely new game. Its only called "Unreal" for marketing reasons.

While Legend point out in every interview that they focus on singleplayer, they know very well that they would totally disapoint the big UT fan community if they don't include multiplayer. This market is just too big to ignore it. It's about loosing money or not.

WildfireX2000
3rd Sep 2001, 11:50 AM
Stryker - While Unreal doesn't have as big textures or as many polygons as some games out today, the graphics are still amazing. There's just something about it...some people would understand what I'm saying...

Tippon
3rd Sep 2001, 01:14 PM
WildfireX2000: I understand what you're saying completely. There's just something about it, I can't describe it, but when you get everything running perfectly, then watch the intro with the mirrored floor, and the water.....:cool:

Drevlin
3rd Sep 2001, 01:35 PM
U2 got more incommen with U1 than UT atleast
And i doubt legend is calling Unreal 2 "unreal" just because of marketing. If they were, they are ratyer stupid as they alter alot of the original gameplay feeling to EVOLVE.
thats what Unreal 2 is about
EVOLVMENT
Unreal 1 and Unreal 2 may not have much incommen but nevertheless unreal 2 is the sequell and theres more to it than marketing.

WildfireX2000
3rd Sep 2001, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Drevlin
of the original gameplay feeling to EVOLVE.
thats what Unreal 2 is about
EVOLVMENT

You must be related to George Bush.

Metakill
3rd Sep 2001, 08:22 PM
UT And Unreal 2 got almost NOTHING to do with eachother.

Well, actually, UT takes place some 100 years after Unreal. While the stories are unrelated there are many themes that tie these games together:

Working class stiffs (space miners) get shafted by big government/business for trying to make a living wage and survivable working conditions. Unlucky folks who stand out to much either go to penal colonies (Unreal) or sold into the Tournament. This, to me, is the flavor that ties this fairly generic sci-fi setting together: Everyday folks thrust into a hostile universe where hostile aliens are only slightly worse than hostile homeworld.

If this theme is carried into U][, then that is good enough for me. Unreal is actually pretty generic sc-fi universe, perfect for game setting because not dependent on specific personalities or events. Thats why I think Unreal 2 deserves the sequel title, regardless of what gets left-behind: It is the flagship of the Unreal Engine and represents a world where players can let it be whatever their imagination wants it to be.

Unless of course they ruin it with a complex plot and predetermined characters:( .

Drevlin
4th Sep 2001, 12:48 AM
WildfireX2000, i didnt decide this.
and how did you know bush and i are relatives? Are you a spy pherhaps?
(Me goes paranoid and kills everything in sight)

UnrealGrrl
5th Sep 2001, 11:45 AM
well whatever game u2 is related to, i cant wait to get my paws on it! but from everything ive read it does seemta have a bit in common with unreal and will have the multiplayer (yay!) as well to satisfy the masses (like me ;))...
hope they get it out before xmas next year...

Drevlin
5th Sep 2001, 12:28 PM
yea i know what you mean... Im looking forward more to the singleplayer experience :)

Deathwing
5th Sep 2001, 07:33 PM
I said that U2 IS the sequell to unreal 1 - you better get some glaces :P

Unreal 1 was a very original game that alot of people hate, and alot of people love. I am one of the later.
UT is not as original as U1 as it was made to please a bigger audience.
UT is a damn good game, dont get me wrong, but i like u1 more :)

Sorry, I meant UT.

Personal preference or a games originality are no reason to say that real gamers would play it more. The way it seems right now, is that the "hardcore" gamers find just as much or more excitement in playing against real opponents. That's not my opinion, that's just the way it's working lately. Although I do prefer UT, but not by much.

Drevlin
6th Sep 2001, 01:06 AM
UT community is dead

Wake up

All the good mappers left the community and left is a few stinking mods (SF, Tac Ops, AirFight ut etc etc)
The only potientally (sp?) good mood thats around is Inf.

The only thing thats still there are the gamers.

Machismo
6th Sep 2001, 03:16 AM
UT community is dead

Wake up

All the good mappers left the community ..............

The only thing thats still there are the gamers.

For a good reason - the best of them now work at pro. game companies. Just look at the ownage page - nearly everyone featured there now works at a game co. with few of the lucky ones like Akuma and Clawfist even getting a job at Epic :D.

The UT community is slowly dying out but its not dead as yet :p

Drevlin
6th Sep 2001, 05:55 AM
You forgot me :)
I work at Nexs interactive
but mebby im not one of the bigger ones *sigh*
oh well

Machismo
6th Sep 2001, 11:17 AM
You forgot me :)
I work at Nexs interactive
but mebby im not one of the bigger ones *sigh*
oh well

What has Nexs interactive done in terms of games.

Drevlin
6th Sep 2001, 03:15 PM
we are working on it
stay tuned
we're going live this week or the following

Machismo
6th Sep 2001, 03:27 PM
we are working on it
stay tuned
we're going live this week or the following

i am watching you closely now (see avatar) be warned ...................... :D.

:p

SamD
7th Sep 2001, 12:58 PM
You guys are the ones working on AL right?..
I remember Stryfe (is it?) from #unrealed a while back.. hmm I'm watching you too O_O ;)

z2.samd

Drevlin
8th Sep 2001, 01:22 PM
*feels stalked*
:)
Hold on a few more days
ill do you the favor of posting the url

Machismo
8th Sep 2001, 03:16 PM
*feels stalked*
:)
Hold on a few more days
ill do you the favor of posting the url

I say out with it NOW!!! :).

We'll wait.....

Till then you are being watched, AGAIN ;).

Drevlin
9th Sep 2001, 03:02 AM
Well the URL is www.alien-legion.com but there isnt much there atm
do check out http://www.lidstrom.nu/drevlin/ though as its a bit of a developers diary for al by the great author: me :D

Ah well.. Ill tell you when we go live

Cya

NeoNite
9th Sep 2001, 09:37 AM
Hey Stryker, I play a lot of games ;) and I agree with what Durandal and the others said: Unreal Graphics are still amazing.
Imho, I can't say the same thing about quake2. :-I
Yep, there's something special about unreal.. always has been like this..

Unreal has always been a thing of beauty...

ravenus
9th Sep 2001, 11:11 AM
Amen to that.

Drevlin
9th Sep 2001, 12:59 PM
Dont beat down on Q2.
Q2 is still an amazing game, though the grapichs is a bit dated (And when i say "a bit" i mean ALOT!)
But i agree: nuttin beats the u1 feeling :)

DRT-Maverick
9th Sep 2001, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Deathwing
You're right about U2 not being a sequel to U1, but you are dead wrong if you think "real gamers" play U1 instead of UT.

Idiot... I'm a real gamer, and I find U1 more fun than UT...

UT has NO single player other than the ladder, and that's boring, U1 has a story and an atmosphere.

NeoNite
9th Sep 2001, 04:05 PM
This is all so unreal... :rolleyes:

People; unreal is a sp game right? mainly sp orientated.
UT however, is a MULTIPLAYER game ;)
No need in comparing them, they're both great.

I'm not beating down on q2, i still like the game :)
but compare the graphics and effects to unreal..
and the stroggs are morons compared to the Skaarj.

hal
9th Sep 2001, 07:20 PM
This U2 Forum so up till now has been delightfully "flame-free". Let's keep the trend going, shall we?

Drevlin
10th Sep 2001, 01:16 AM
We are drifting from the topic but yes, both ut and unreal are unreal games (we are getting down to below age 3 here)
but that isnt the topic:
The topic is wheater Unreal 2 is the sequell to Unreal 1 or not which it is.

In Unreal you fight about 3-4 baddies at a time, in q2 you get to fight 5-10 baddies at a time.
Unreal and q2 took different paths and because of the ammount of baddies Q2 didnt need the advanced AI U1 have.
When lots of stuff is moveing around on the screen your just thinking about "man I gotta stop these things from moveing" = Kill em am asap!
I dunno bout you guys but i played alot in Unreal, looking for tactical positions then luering the enemy to me (I've played trough the game a good over 30 times - ... im a geek, arnt i? :( )
And when playing with ONE enemy, it does require a level of smartness that was unseen till half life got here (but that doesnt count as the whole game of HL cheats useing scripted sequenses all the way :)

Unreal is a fantastic game and the only reason i posted this topic is tht I want U2 to be an equelly fantastic.
Maybe this can be done without Flak or ASMD, i really dunno, but Legend is takeing a big chance when they dont include it so either they gotta have some REAL GOOD replacements or u2 wont be as fantastic as U1(and please, no "shrink" gun or "freeze" gun now - we've all seen those a tad to many times)

Remeber when U1 first got out? All the talk about the weapons? How they were "Utalized so the player could choose weapon after tactics" and not change his tactics in order to use the better gun? I want THAT In unreal 2.
In quake the only gun worth getting is the Rail and the RL - In Unreal 1/ut its not a question of whats the better weapon as all the weapons in the game are real good and can frag equelly good to.

Drevlin
10th Sep 2001, 01:21 AM
sorry hal, didnt see your post there.

Whats the point of a forum if one cant discuss? Even if the comments come below the standard 3 year old we still gotta be able to discuss stuf i mean... isnt that why we are here (on the forum, not the planet)?
If a guy in the discussion falls below the age of 3 (mentally wise) it only shows he doesnt have alot of stuff to add to the conversation OR his oppinion isnt all thought trough.
Argueing is a part of growing up so i think saying
"This U2 Forum so up till now has been delightfully "flame-free". Let's keep the trend going, shall we?" is a bit... dumb.
I thought you guys were here to keep things in order - so far i dont see anything that isnt in order so... go away :)

Metakill
10th Sep 2001, 01:44 AM
YOU GUYS ARE ALL A BUNCH OF *(&^#@$%(%((#$%^$$#

JUST KIDDING. And no, I'm not an AOLer.

Strife
10th Sep 2001, 01:44 AM
UT2 is coming in the form of Unreal Championship. Unreal Warfare is an entierly different animal all togeather. U2 isnt the direct decendent of Unreal. It has straight up exploration and immesersion maps like Unreal (all 40 levels of Unreal), but it is very mission oriented, really kinda like a scifi rogue spear/quake 2 love child. U2 is not gonna be built for mods; i have to be perfectly honest with that. Now i'm not trying to bash Epic or Legend or U2 (god i love the engine) but as technology has increased, so has the requirements for a focused design. Back in Quake 1, 3 people could make a killer mod because int wasnt that hard to be a level designer and a modeler, a level designer and a artist, or a coder or an artist and just mish mash it in one pak file.

With Unreal, as technology progressed, thing specialized, but forunatley it was still easy. Anyone could map, or code (usually the former)... the tools where there and it didnt take terribly much to make something and make it look like you're really using the engine. Modelers, however unlike Quake 1 and 2 which had free modeling programs came to rely on professional modeling programs... sorta forshadowing what is to come with U2.

With U2, and the warfare engine, it has a very nice UnrealED rev, but to REALLY make the most of the engine, you have to do most of your work in a 3D Art Program like Lightwave. what does that mean? that means the level designer must become the modeler or on mods SERIOUS planning will be required between modeler and level designer. What we'll be seeing is those willing to take the plunge to make 250,000 polygon maps, mostly in Lightwave and those not willing make just above UT quality maps- making anything really high poly in UT takes a lot of time. So what does this mean for mods using the warfare engine? they have to be ultra organzied and cant dick around or they wont be looking much better than UT mods. U2 and warfare will be a great place for mod development, but i dont really see it flowering. Between the overwhelming abilities of Warfare and the inability of UT mod makers to be original, i cant say the future is bright.

So what does this have to do with U2 being more of a sequal to Unreal than UT? Well UT was built as a fast multiplayer action game that was designed to be built on from the start. U2 is being built to be a straight up SP experience and the sheer power of the engine already obliterates not serious mod makers. When you compare how that relates to U1, you'll find a very obvious similarity.

I'm sure U2, like U1 will have some cool mods, but like U1 it will be ultra polarized - between people understanding the engine and making the most of what U2 is BEST at (and it wont be multiplayer) and people who arent organized and dont take advantage of the engine. The same thing happened with U1 with mods like INF and Unloaded versus all the single low poly weapons at WOD. Its going to happen again with U2.

Just a thought :)

Strife
10th Sep 2001, 01:49 AM
And to be perfectly blunt, i think the UT community blew it with UT. There were so many chances at great mods and the Unreal engine can do a ****load more than its said to be able to do, its just that few had the gumption or the balls to take that extra step. I blame mods like Tac Ops and Strike Force- CS clones no matter what they say for being what they are; blackholes of good ideas and talent. Personally i think the day of really good mods is waning as it take organization and money to move a good idea forward be it a game or a mod. I dont expect any groundbreaking mods for U2, or Doom3 or HL2 or Quake 4, etc.

Drevlin
10th Sep 2001, 04:11 AM
Amen to that, strife
all of it... :)

NeoNite
10th Sep 2001, 11:40 AM
Quake4 that's .. wrong man, it's just wrong.. :(

OK see, there are more baddies in quake2, yes, BUt they are, again, morons and if you're a bit experienced in playing q2, you'll have no trouble, even on hard skill, eliminating them. Most of them will run in front of your gun.. they crouch.. hell aim lower :D
They run away.. they do?

Skaarj dodge, I mean, there are less Skaarj and Mercenaries, but. c'mon those 2 species they're hard to beat right? Mercs even got their own shield...

2 different games, 2 different worlds. I prefer Unreal over Q2 :)
SO uT2 is unreal championship.
That makes:

unreal
Ut
Unreal2
Unreal warfare and
Unreal championship...

This is too unreal to be true! :)

gwalahad
6th Oct 2001, 02:00 PM
any of ya oppened ya eyes lattely: it's written all over that U is the follow-on of U1 NOT UT

that's why they're releasing Unreal warfare(could have named it UT2) 3 months after U2!!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

gwalahad
6th Oct 2001, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by NeoNite

SO uT2 is unreal championship.

nonono unreal warfare is UT2,cos unreal championship is already released:console version of UT(dreamcast & PS2)

[IsP]KaRnAgE
6th Oct 2001, 02:08 PM
UC=UTx2 its just a beefed up game using the new engine. They changed some weps here and there but its generally the same.

LA_Terrorist
6th Oct 2001, 11:31 PM
i like unreal so i will like unreal 2. ut is great but can get repiditive with no real point.

hal
7th Oct 2001, 08:00 AM
sorry hal, didnt see your post there.

Whats the point of a forum if one cant discuss? Even if the comments come below the standard 3 year old we still gotta be able to discuss stuf i mean... isnt that why we are here (on the forum, not the planet)?
If a guy in the discussion falls below the age of 3 (mentally wise) it only shows he doesnt have alot of stuff to add to the conversation OR his oppinion isnt all thought trough.
Argueing is a part of growing up so i think saying
"This U2 Forum so up till now has been delightfully "flame-free". Let's keep the trend going, shall we?" is a bit... dumb.
I thought you guys were here to keep things in order - so far i dont see anything that isnt in order so... go away :)

I was refering mainly to Maverick's response. Not this thread. My point being that a discussion with disagreement can happen without resorting to name calling. In fact, it makes you think harder when your argument must be made without resorting to that.

Sorry you think that's "dumb" :rolleyes:

Drevlin
7th Oct 2001, 09:33 AM
Ah well
all is okay then
take care

The Dopefish
7th Oct 2001, 11:10 AM
Unreal 2 is sort of a sequal to U1, in respect of the focus the game takes; a primarily single-player format, with some glances at multiplayer.

Unreal Warfare is supposedly to UT what U2 is going to be to U1, only the focus is again on the multi-player aspect of the game.

Unreal Championship is a cross between U2 and UW: class-based single-player with the touch of MP. (Or that's how I take it.)

gwalahad
7th Oct 2001, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by The Dopefish

Unreal Championship is a cross between U2 and UW: class-based single-player with the touch of MP. (Or that's how I take it.)

well not quite,if it was a croos it would come out in between the two others,but it's already out!

and it's only multiplayer(with ladder for SP)>>>like UT:i've played it on dreamcast

BullDog
8th Oct 2001, 11:23 AM
now I am really confused.
Unreal and Unreal 2 - no probs there.
Now
Unreal Tournament, Unreal Championship and Unreal War.
I am sure that I read that UC is the game only available on the xbox and that UW would be the pc 'version'.
my head hurts
/me goes off for a lie down :p

Strife
8th Oct 2001, 08:20 PM
UC is XBOX exclusive but i really wouldnt be surprised to see it on PC in a year or so- after U2 has come out and people start to get bored of it.

Unreal Warfare is epics next game. People predict it is Unreal Tournament with new more team oriented game modes, HUGE teams, vheicles - the works. A UT/Tribes 2 orgy basically with maybe some MMO features too.Thats just a guess.

Drevlin
9th Oct 2001, 12:19 AM
that does sound good
then again whenever i heard the word "orgy" I'm happy
:D

BullDog
9th Oct 2001, 03:16 AM
thanks Strife - knew I wasn't going completely rabid :p

hmmm the UW sounds interesting...tho'...a little scarey at this point.
Must admit to being so used to UT that the idea of using vehicles seems a little strange...but I am sure I will adapt :D