PDA

View Full Version : Nasty codes?

Kail
1st Sep 2001, 05:59 PM
How will copy-protection be implemented in Unreal II?

Will we have to enter long nasty serial numbers, just like in HL/CS?

I do hope not.

Tetris L
1st Sep 2001, 08:59 PM
What's wrong with entering serial numbers?

ravenus
1st Sep 2001, 10:34 PM
Agree with Tetris there.
Considering the amount of work and money that goes into making a game of this scope, we shouldn't grudge them a little inconvenience so long as they don't indulge in some technical tomfoolery which prevents genuine buyers from playing the game.

WildfireX2000
2nd Sep 2001, 03:24 PM
Sounds like serial #s to me. You know, they're simple to get around. It just makes installs more annoying. Of course, I wouldn't mind copy-protection if it WORKED(best method seems to be unburnable CDs that you need to play the game)

Machismo
3rd Sep 2001, 07:44 AM
Whats wrong with serial nos. - youre just going to spend a few secs typin it - not like its gonna take you an hour :hmm: I dont grudge legend/epic that. doesnt matter how may times you gotta reinstall the stuff :)

[GRiP]FilthPig
26th Sep 2001, 05:06 AM
sorry WildfireX2000, Unburnable Cd's will never exsit, they have been trying for years. The BEST protection is a CD KEY check that cross checks to a database online. Much like Diablo2, Quake3 (altho they are not checking keys any more).

Kail
26th Sep 2001, 06:58 AM
Yes, but you can still steal codes from other people's CDs.

IntRed
26th Sep 2001, 07:16 AM
not really, look at the ms cd's, there is only 1 code that works with the cd, perhaps they can implent this system with unreal 2 cd's

Kail
26th Sep 2001, 09:53 AM
No, that's impossible, at least if you want to keep costs at a acceptable level. If there's only one code that works for each CD it means that each CD must be unique and making each CD unique is extremely expensive.

TomWithTheWeather
30th Sep 2001, 09:50 AM
and also there will always be some hax0r to write a little program or something that will allow you to play it with out registering...:rolleyes:
maybe

phillys
30th Sep 2001, 09:55 AM
Honestly, I am current;y fragging on my 'pirated' version of UT but this 'pirated' UT must crack the unrealtournament.exe Surprisingly, I can patch my UT and play online with no probs!

My point is, if adding a serial code, some hacker could make a serial code gen or even a list of codes published on the net way before they are used.

Machismo
30th Sep 2001, 10:49 AM
Should I say more http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/cwm/big/bigsmirk4.gif

Kail
30th Sep 2001, 11:36 AM
The "worst" thing about serials is that the only codes that can be played with online are those that have been printed and released with the real CDs. All other codes might pass the validation algorithm of the game but they won't pass the master server check since it has a list of all codes that have been released. If it's not in the list, it won't work.
It''s simple and extremely effective!

Metakill
1st Oct 2001, 04:09 AM
Anyone can pirate just about anything if they really want to. The real job of copy protection is to prevent everyone and their grandma from getting an illegal copy right after the game is released.

Kail
1st Oct 2001, 04:46 AM
It's not 100% impossible but really, really hard to play online with a faked code. However there's always the possibility that someone inside leaks correct codes.

Zaphrod
3rd Oct 2001, 11:41 PM
Copy protected CD suck and should be illegal. I have no problem with serial numbers to stop or at least curb pirating but CD copy protection stops me from backing up my CD's which I should be able to do considering how easy it is to damage a CD.

Zaccix
4th Oct 2001, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by Metakill
Anyone can pirate just about anything if they really want to. The real job of copy protection is to prevent everyone and their grandma from getting an illegal copy right after the game is released.
Yup, absolutely right. Some stores such as Babbages and EB actually won't sell a game unless it has some sort of copy protection on it, however easy it is to crack. When it was first released, Tribes2 didn't have a CD check, but Dynamix were forced to include one because some stores wouldn't sell it otherwise.

Speaking of T2, it's got probably the best anti-piracy measures I've yet seen. The CD itself isn't that hard to burn, but the way you have to log in to play online has worked pretty effectively. I've still not heard of a T2 key generator.

I agree with Zaphrod, though. Protection systems like Safedisc are a waste of time and can even render the CD unreadable in some CD drives. Many people who buy games have small children who also use the computer and CD's can very easily get scratched up. Let people make backups of the CD, but use anti-piracy measures in the game itself.

Kail
4th Oct 2001, 04:49 AM
The best copy-protection system seen yet is probably Fade which is found in Operation: Flashpoint.
It seems that instead of one operation that determines whether you have a valid CD there are several thousands and when a false disc is found, the game doesn't tell you to get the real game, instead the game gets slower and slower. Because of the sheer number of these, cracking the game is very hard since the cracker must find every litte line of code that the anti-copy system consists of.