PDA

View Full Version : Others doing Legend's job

Tetris L
31st Aug 2001, 09:00 AM
RtNP CoOp Mod (http://www.planetnapali.com/index2.htm)

Hopefully these guys will sit down to do Legend's job once again and write a coop mod for U2.

hal
1st Sep 2001, 10:43 AM
No doubt!

Co-op really had it's moment to shine in Unreal. While it was flawed, it was soooo cool to take on Titans and skaarj with other players.

IMHO, if they were able to really make the co-op game shine in U2, they could just go ahead and leave out the new "secret" multiplayer game altogether.

Kail
1st Sep 2001, 04:57 PM
This has been discussed into boredom at the official Unreal II forum. The threads have been huge, but the answer from Epic and Legend remains the name: "No coop since so few people play it."

So you're right, we'll have to make our own coop mod.

INF3RNO
20th Sep 2001, 04:28 PM
I'm sorry but it sounds to me like they're making excuses for not putting in the work. With U2 being so Singleplayer based, it seems slightly ignorant to brush away the coop aspect, especially when so many other games being released include such support.

Kail
20th Sep 2001, 04:53 PM
The arguments against coop is that it's very few people who actually play coop and therefore implementing coop is just a waste of time and resources.
On the other hand, one might say that if they make a well designed coop multiplayer option it may become very popular and may be worth the time it has taken to implement.

Metakill
21st Sep 2001, 08:39 PM
It's a shame. The previews seem to indicate various scenarios exist in the game where you coordinate work as part of a team. This just screams for coop mode.

protoz
21st Sep 2001, 10:29 PM
If anyone has played Serious Sam you know how awesome that was to go through the games with some friends over the net! COOP isn't a waste of resources it can add a lot of replayability to a game like U2

Drevlin
22nd Sep 2001, 07:36 AM
I can do nothing else but to agree with you (the morepart of you anyway :)
Since U2 is mainly a SP game there should be an option where you can play trough the SP campagin with your friends (if you are lucky enough to have some)

Luckily, other games are underway with great Co-Op support

TWD
22nd Sep 2001, 07:01 PM
Actually wether they put a co-op in there or not doesn't matter much since it would be rediculosly eaisy to make a mod for it.

and yes they keep talking about this team tactics type stuff it screams multiplayer. Then again I think that this particular part will be it's own gametype for the net just won't use singleplayer maps or something like that.

Master_Blaster[MASTER
23rd Sep 2001, 08:03 AM
What no Co-Op! It rules. I love playing it with fellow clan members. It is a good training. Working as a team to destroy all the monstors. I sure hope someone does take the time to make a Co-Op mod, it will be appreachiated by many of us.

Tetris L
27th Oct 2001, 04:26 PM
http://www.voodooextreme.com/comments.taf?postID=22097

Nuf said :mad:

Maybe they can get Dinwitty from the other RtNP co-op mod (http://www.planetunreal.com/vortex/coop/coop.html) to join, then the U2 co-op project should be done in a jiffy. ;)

grimstar
28th Oct 2001, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by -The-Tetris-L-
:mad: Others doing Legend's job.
Why is that Legend Entertainments job ?

Tetris L
28th Oct 2001, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by GrimStar
Why is that Legend Entertainments job ?
I consider co-op as a CORE element of a good singleplayer game design. And core elements should be provided by the developer out of the box!

INF3RNO
28th Oct 2001, 07:30 AM
I think that many of us are trying to say that we all now live in the multiplayer age, and SP developers should be taking advantage of this. Especially Legend as they will be releasing a 'standard' setting game.

hal
28th Oct 2001, 08:02 AM
The comments made in the Computer Games article indicated that Legend was taking some serious heat from the Unreal community for not including a co-op mode. The response to that was something along the lines of "not being able to provide the heavily scripted single player game that they wanted to make, and still be able to allow co-op".

Evidently the scope of the single player game is such that it would be exceedingly difficult to create what they wish to create, yet allow more than one player at a time. Some of these things are the fact that there are portions of the game that rely on your making use of team AI, or modes of transportation/portals that wouldn't be practical for the limitations that co-op imposes.

So, if what they're saying is true... I can accept that. As badly as I'd like to play U2 co-op. Having said that... I will be sorely disappointed if the gameplay is as linear as RTNP. But I doubt that's the case. :)

Tetris L
29th Oct 2001, 03:07 AM
http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145306
Originally posted by Matthias Worch (Legend Entertainment)
We've said it several times before, and I'll say it again: there will be no coop in U2. Sorry, live with it ;)

We're making a very story-driven SP game here, with dialog, tons of scripted sequences and quite a bit of non-linear gameplay. No, all that will not take away from the action (Unreal was an action FPS game and U2 will be the same), but it's simply impossible to include a coop mode that works well and is bug-free (do you have any idea how easily scripted sequences break when there's more than one player? ;)) without adding a few more months to the schedule.

We realize that a lot of the hard-core fans love coop, but we have to make tradeoffs here. HL is still the biggest FPS game out there, and it doesn't have coop (nor do I hear many people *****ing about it). If you want coop you should wait until a 3rd party team creates a mod for it - until then you can play straight action-shooters like Serious Sam :)

Well ... I understand their reasons to a certain extent, but I'm still disappointed. :( *sigh* I've had tons of fun playing various games in co-op mode with buddies over LAN and web in the past and I'd love to play U2 co-op too. Lets hope the community mod gets done quickly. :hmm:

lceman
29th Oct 2001, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Tetris L
Well ... I understand their reasons to a certain extent, but I'm still disappointed. :( *sigh* I've had tons of fun playing various games in co-op mode with buddies over LAN and web in the past and I'd love to play U2 co-op too. Lets hope the community mod gets done quickly. :hmm:
I find that coop works best in games that are very linear, simple action. For example, Duke nukem 3d and Serious Sam (and Unreal of course), which I don't expect Unreal 2 to be.

After Wheel of Time, I trust Legend to make the right decisions.

Kail
29th Oct 2001, 04:01 AM
It sure does :rolleyes: , but since the guys at Planet Na Pali has decided to do it anyway, I'm happy :)

http://www.planetnapali.com/index2.htm

Master_Blaster[MASTER
29th Oct 2001, 05:38 AM
It looks like they are going to have a big job on there hands. U2 involves interaction with things around you, and i don't know what will happen to that when there are a lot of people playing at the same time.

Kail
29th Oct 2001, 07:52 AM
Hopefully they will be able to keep their promise to the community.

Barcode#09123111
10th Nov 2001, 03:23 PM
Dont worry about it....Nali city has been around to long allow any then to shut them down. I am sure they will work sumthing out.

Kail
10th Nov 2001, 04:43 PM
I wasn't talking about Nali City, I was talking about planetnapali.com.

Barcode#09123111
11th Nov 2001, 10:13 PM
OHH ya i forgot about that MOD. Wow i see its coming al0ng nicely...
http://www.planetnapali.com

Tetris L
13th Nov 2001, 12:37 AM
Thanks for providing the link. :rolleyes:

If you'd actually read a thread before you add your spam, you would have noticed that PlanetNaPali is what this thread is all about and that links to it had already been posted twice.

Major-Lee-High
14th Nov 2001, 03:41 AM
I played serious sams coop myself..... and its fun for a bit but coop in a game like that gets old really fast!! I only had it installed for about a week!

If they were to make some sort of RPGish coop thing where there is new areas to explore and some sort of story changes periodically then it would be good! But the same story 3 or 4 times is all i and alot of others can take! I usually beat a game once then never play it again!