PDA

View Full Version : no more good servers

fart2000
30th Aug 2001, 12:29 PM
Have you noticed that there seems to be fewer people playing online lately? It also seems to me that more and more of the "public" servers are becoming private (and i'm not talking about clan servers). Maybe i've just had bad luck finding the games over that last couple of weeks.

OshadowO
30th Aug 2001, 12:31 PM
Hmm find a couple of good ones and book mark them. That's what I do. I have noticed more an more 1vs 1 servers..especially US become passworded but maybe it's just me.

CrazyCougar
30th Aug 2001, 12:50 PM
Yes just loadup the server list and bookmark anything that looks promising. Then hit the favorites tab and start trying them out. Do this whenever you can't find anything interesting in the favorites tab. Eventually you'll have a nice list and even more importantly people will recognize you when you start to frequent the same servers.

Squirrel9
2nd Oct 2001, 07:36 AM
There is an awesome server called Top 10
I play there religiously and there are alot of good players on this server.
Come out to have a taste of your own blood

Squirrel:D

CrazyCougar
2nd Oct 2001, 08:47 AM
Post the address if you have it handy. Some of us are server name challenged and it's easier to find it if we have the address... :)

Phydeaux{RoA}
2nd Oct 2001, 10:12 AM
For our part, the RoA CTF LGI servers are down (all of them) due to an aggressive business move. We're moving from our half-duplex 10 Mb/s link to a full-duplex 100 Mb/s link two hops off a major hub. This link goes active around the first of next month and our prior link went dead at the end of September, so players looking for the RoA servers are prowling the server list for the next four weeks.

The RoA servers will be back with a vengence shortly and our Metroclan business arm will be making all manner of reasonable game server leasing services available at that time. We had a solid clientele willing to pony up $100 / mo for a fast, low ping gaming server with a host of services. Those days are gone. Our new pricing structure will be *much* more reasonable and the list of services will be greatly increased. As you can guess, this is a big step, but the online multiplayer gaming community is increasing by leaps and bounds, and we want to be a part of that growth.

Hang in there - there will soon be more servers to play on in every style, mode, and mod that you can think of, and Unreal II is just around the corner.

Squirrel9
3rd Oct 2001, 09:20 AM
The Top 10 server address is 63.220.194.254
If you see me Squirrel out there msg me and tell me you found the link from here
Happy Fragging

CrazyCougar
3rd Oct 2001, 10:15 AM
Don't worry... if I visit the server you'll notice me... ;)

Squirrel9
3rd Oct 2001, 10:50 AM
HEHE
Step upto the tree.

alys
3rd Oct 2001, 01:29 PM
I used to bookmark alot in Gamespy Arcade but I had a Linux router. Now that I have a stupid Linksys router, I have nothing but problems.

SkaarjMaster
3rd Oct 2001, 01:38 PM
Squirrel, saw you on Top 10 a couple weeks ago and you kicked my ass. It was fun though! I need to try that one again.

In response to the original observation/question, it seems some of my favorites aren't running anymore or at least not when I'm online and it also seems less people are on them. Personally, I probably won't be on as much as I normally am simply because I need to play some games I got for Christmas this past year and the year before. Some haven't been installed because I'm so addicted to this game.

I guess once Unreal 2 is released there will be a mass exodus from this game online. Tried Q3 online for the first time last night and, even though it was fun, it wasn't the same as UT. See Ya!

SkaarjMaster

CrazyCougar
3rd Oct 2001, 03:14 PM
Sometimes it's nice to visit servers you've never been on before. You'll often find a totally different level of skill than the people you play on the more popular and well known servers(yes to some extent you'll find newbies but most of them gravitate to the larger and more popular servers).

If your favorite server is empty join it anyways. Eventually someone else will showup and the game will truly get interesting.

8-4-7-2
3rd Oct 2001, 03:17 PM
Since I am a CTFer I rarely play on pubs anymore. Public CTF just totally sucks. Everyone always attacks, no defence, and not even a slight hint of teamplay whatsoever

CrazyCougar
3rd Oct 2001, 08:10 PM
Squirrel... could you put the Valhalla Avatar on your server. I got mismatch errors on the riotskins when I tried to connect.

SkaarjMaster
3rd Oct 2001, 08:21 PM
Yeah, no defense in Facing Worlds, except they snipe you like crazy! oops, let's not get into that again.

Anyway, good point CrazyCougar, I need to join more often when there is no one there. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. I just wish there were more servers running custom maps. It seems to be all the same in-game and bonus pack maps. What about the Remorseless map pack, 1on1 map pack, other custom maps. There also seems to be a lot of the same custom maps. I run a DM cable server with a couple of friends and usually have a max. 5 players (SkaarjMaster Server). I usually don't have it up that often, but when I do here is my DM rotation:
Liandri Central Core
Escherland][
007-Archives
Knee Deep In The Dead
1on1-Magdalena
Helleth][
DeathStar Docking Bay
Bloody Blocks
Anubis
Empowered
Splendor
Nali Castle ][
Peak Monastery
Organic

Picked a lot of themed maps, some maps may be too big and others too small, but they're all fun! This server will now and then be converted to CTF with some you've seen online and maybe others you have not. Like I said, it won't be up very often and when it is there may be only 1-3 slots open, but just thought I'd let people know. See Ya!

SkaarjMaster

Squirrel9
4th Oct 2001, 09:03 PM
server is not mine
i have the umod that works with the riotskins pack on the server
email me for it
squirrel9@home.com

Squirrel9
4th Oct 2001, 09:08 PM
Skaarj Master I remember you and it was alot of fun

SkaarjMaster
4th Oct 2001, 09:16 PM
Oh, just a warning, the server has a lot of skins and voices. If you don't have a lot of skins and voices, then you may be downloading from a cable server. My friends have had trouble downloading, so I just told them what to install. If you want to know all the skins and voices I can let you know in this thread.

Also, I changed my skin. I'm no longer SkaarjMaster in online games; although, the server is still called that. I'm now Someone Else and have the dark vortex skin. I may change back later on. See Ya!

SkaarjMaster

P.S. - Squirrel9, i'll try to find you online again sometime.

Squirrel9
4th Oct 2001, 09:29 PM
I play at Top 10 63.220.194.254 all the time
I dont play on any other servers
When my server runs i play on it too

Wrathchild
5th Oct 2001, 08:42 AM
Theres a cool 4 player server I goto all the time. It runs custom maps and has a remote download site so, waiting for a download is quick. It has over 40 maps I believe with mapvote, check it out

pine
5th Oct 2001, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by alys
I used to bookmark alot in Gamespy Arcade but I had a Linux router. Now that I have a stupid Linksys router, I have nothing but problems.

The linksys router is a piece of shyte! I had it last year in my old dorm and it ****ed up pretty much every time I got online - the only way to fix it was to unplug then replug my network cable or to reboot my computer.......grrrr......

Boom
5th Oct 2001, 04:02 PM
Every once in a while I notice that a lot of the servers in my favorites aren't that good anymore. So I just clear some out and load up the main browser to find some new ones.

Sometimes I have to look a little, but I am always able to find something. There are still like 3000 - 4000 people online playing UT whenever I look, so there's gotta be a good game somewhere.

Randy_M
5th Oct 2001, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Squirrel9
There is an awesome server called Top 10
I play there religiously and there are alot of good players on this server.
Come out to have a taste of your own blood

Squirrel:D
I've had the experience of bleeding at Sqirrel9's hands, as I play Top Ten a lot too. Some good players IMO play there. It is a great server, but I have to go other places to mix it up a little. Gettin tired of those maps... I play as Randy[AB]. See ya'll there sometime?

There is another server called Fragalicious unreal://216.82.49.39:7787 that is all Star Wars maps skins etc. Good pings there for me, lots of fun.

Also there is a really good one called "haze.st killing" unreal://205.179.65.211:7777 that is great IMO. It has some huge custom maps but they are very good. Trouble is there are no bots and not very many ppl frequent it. If you catch it with some ppl on it, check it out.

If you see me online, say HEY!

Maybe I'll go check top ten now...

PS if you see some other [AB] ppl there, don't rag on us too hard, we're just a bunch of old farts!

SkaarjMaster
5th Oct 2001, 10:57 PM
Squirrel9,

Must be fate that we ended up on that dead server and then switched to Top 10. Do you know where to download that DM-WU-ClassicOrrient map? It downloaded, but I'm not sure if any texture/sound or music files associated. I exited out, because I thought it wouldn't load but then saw a glimpse before leaving. Oh well.

I will most likely be playing either as Someone Else with dark vortex skin or SkaarjMaster with one of many different skins. I really need to start strafing; I've been turning for too long. I'm just used to playing this way on 1st-person shooters. Probably why I'm not too good/not too bad online with UT. Will start strafing soon! See Ya!

SkaarjMaster (aka Someone Else)

P.S. - is there two r's in the Orient part of that map name?

Squirrel9
6th Oct 2001, 12:12 AM
well Skarrj Master That was the weirdest thing ever
You have the basics down just need more practice
I enjoy playing with people from the forums cause its almost like i know them
well anyways if you need any of the maps
they are at www.utbooty.com

Thanks Again
Squirrel;)

Phydeaux{RoA}
8th Oct 2001, 11:52 AM
I like your alternate moniker, Someone Else. Of course, I liked it the first time I saw it in the early days of UT as used by my friend and resident RoA master mapper, Some1else{RoA}. ;)

SkaarjMaster
9th Oct 2001, 10:22 AM
I just thought of it and it sounds good "Someone Else captured the flag .... Someone Else fragged so and so ..." Since it is extremely close to his moniker, I'll stop using it if he wants me to. Let me know.

SkaarjMaster

Phydeaux{RoA}
9th Oct 2001, 11:44 AM
You're all right, that's a cool gesture.

I'll post the link to this discussion and see what he says. Thanks!

ThunderBirdUT
9th Oct 2001, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 8-4-7-2
Since I am a CTFer I rarely play on pubs anymore. Public CTF just totally sucks. Everyone always attacks, no defence, and not even a slight hint of teamplay whatsoever

YUP VERY VERY TURE!!

ThunderBirdUT
http://publish.hometown.aol.com/ram2125/images/thunderbirdut.jpg

ThunderBirdUT
9th Oct 2001, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Pineconeboy

The linksys router is a piece of shyte! I had it last year in my old dorm and it ****ed up pretty much every time I got online - the only way to fix it was to unplug then replug my network cable or to reboot my computer.......grrrr......

I have a LinkSys Broadband Router... I have never problems with it so far. Maybe your Confiuguration need to be correctly.

ThunderBirdUT

http://publish.hometown.aol.com/ram2125/images/thunderbirdut.jpg

fart2000
9th Oct 2001, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Phydeaux{RoA}
You're all right, that's a cool gesture.

I'll post the link to this discussion and see what he says. Thanks!

Personally, i think he should be able to keep the name. It's not the same. It doesn't have the tag for one and it is spelled differently (slightly). Besides, who's to say "Someone else" wasn't used even earlier by...someone else. As long as you're not trying to impersonate someone you should be able to go with any name you can think of.

Some1else
9th Oct 2001, 04:33 PM
As stated above, Its not even written the same, and I agree that it really is not for me to tell folks what name to use!!
I started using it for the same reason, It just works for everything!!:D I really would like to say thanks for asking, that was a very kind jesture!!
And, Yes the name was used before me, though I don't think it was in UT, sense I have run it from the days of the Demo, and never seen it anywhere:cool:

Enjoy, S1E is somewhere else!

UnrealGrrl
10th Oct 2001, 12:10 PM
anyway i think its always good to share and promote good servers so ill get back to that... i only (mostly) play CTF and you can find me on the www.myunreal.com ctf server most of the time... but if im not there ill be on a good custom map ctf server like... acom, clan950, skippers cove, buzzardsperch, zombie battalions, ued map heaven, catchers, stealthdp...

hope to catchya online :)

Morety
10th Oct 2001, 12:28 PM
Hey NYGrrrrl, we got pretty much the same server tastes. Have you checked out the e| (esoteric) server yet? I think you'd like that one too.

UnrealGrrl
10th Oct 2001, 01:55 PM
hiya morety :)

every once inawhile when i cant get on MyU or another fave i take a look around and browse by map name so i can find good custom servers... i dont recognize that one tho, ill keep an eye out ;) tanx!

CaffeiNe
10th Oct 2001, 07:15 PM
I play almost entirely in acom 1 and 2 now. Always has good people, generally good map rotation, and consistantly good pings.

Plus it looks like i'm gonna be a member of acom within a week or so. :rolleyes: