PDA

View Full Version : Shock AND Flak in U2!!

ElectricHead
28th Aug 2001, 02:28 PM
Shock and Flak are back for U2....
well Well WELL....

All of the one-weapon-masters may now scream with joy that they will be able to fight back, instead of beng reduced to a quivering pile of defenseless gibs.

This now(according to the story I saw on Blues) brings the total number of weps to 17(including the Shock and Flak). Thats good; that gives the rest of us 15 new(or somewhat new) ways to blast all the players that like to shoot blueballs....:D :D

EH

SludgeX
28th Aug 2001, 02:51 PM
You beat me to it Head.;)

Just noticed this news at Voodoo Extreme.

Here's the quote directly from Inforgrames' PR Manager, Matt Frary:

Unreal fans asked for it -- now they got it. Based on popular demand, the ASMD Shock Rifle and Flak Cannon have been integrated into Unreal 2. This brings the total number of weapons in the game to 17.

Good Job Legend!:tup:

Tetris L
28th Aug 2001, 03:28 PM
Now read the statement that Chris Hardgrove made on this thread (http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=129379) on GTF:
Originally posted by Chris Hargrove
Okay, I know I'm going to catch hell for saying this, but I'm not going to let this one slide, otherwise misinformation will spin things out of control and make us look worse in the end.

Without trying to throw a slam at our PR people or anything, I'll merely say that Mr. Frary should have consulted us before making his statement.
The ASMD/Flak issues were in discussion between Legend, Epic, and Infogrames well before the topic was even brought up here on these forums. I'm not saying that we're ignoring the fanbase here or anything (we're certainly not), but by the same token, we've been considering these issues for some time now.

That said, the ASMD and Flak cannon *MAY* make it into U2, and the current trend in our discussions (which may have led Mr. Frary to jump to a conclusion here) is that they will... but this is not carved in stone.

The point of debate is the fact that even before the idea of reviving these two weapons came up, we've had new weapons of our own all along which perform similar functions. Not necessarily *identical* functions (some changes are aesthetic, others are gameplay related both in terms of originality and technical issues like network efficiency), but definitely similar.

So the issue is, do we bring back these two weapons as-is, despite the fact that we have similar new weapons already, and possibly upset weapon balance as a result? Or do we not bring these two weapons back, and then upset diehards who consider them series "trademarks" (which is a debate in and of itself)? Or do we just bring them back and then remove our new weapons, reducing originality and possibly hurting the balance with the other new weapons? It's a tough problem, and it comes down to the fact that while yes this is Unreal, it is also a *new game*, and in cases like this those two things may not see eye to eye.

So I'll augment Mr. Frary's statement by saying that as of now, these two weapons will *likely* end up going in, in one form or another (possibly only for multiplayer or something and not for single player, who knows)... but the fact is the verdict's still out.

This may not be what people want to hear, and I know that saying this may get me some backlash from the community and/or my employer, but I'm saying it anyway. If the hype machine gets out of control based on misinformation then it doesn't benefit the product, it damages it.

When a more concrete decision comes out of all this, you'll hear it directly from us.

- Chris

Some strange stuff going on here. :hmm:

bluefunk
28th Aug 2001, 03:55 PM
I have to say this is exactly one of the reasons that I find Epic and now Legend top!

They LISTEN to the punters! Good for you. You gain my respect.

BF

Tetris L
28th Aug 2001, 04:09 PM
bluefunk,

did you read Chris' statement? Neither Epic nor Legend decided that, but some PR guy at Infogrames, the U2 publisher. Sales guys tend to make promises without looking at the consequences. That's how it works in my company and I see that's the way it works at Infogrames too.

Even though I disaprove that Legend dumped the ASMD and flak in the first place, I'm not happy that some PR guy now decides to put them back in. Legend have set up the weapon system long time ago and the weapon balance is well tested meanwhile. Like Chris said, adding a new weapon at this time can severely get the system out of balance. :hmm:

The Dopefish
28th Aug 2001, 04:12 PM
"L" - did YOU read the thread from which those comments originated from?

Originally posted by Chris Hargrove
Okay, time for me to post a correction to my correction. :)

I talked with Mike Verdu and he said (unbenownst to me at the time of my post) that at some point recently we did finally agree with Epic to put these two weapons in, so apparently that decision was finally made.

However, what hasn't necessarily been completely decided yet is the form the weapons will take in terms of gameplay, i.e. whether they'll be in the singleplayer game or only multiplayer, and other potential gameplay tweaks to help out balancing issues, etc... that kind of stuff still hasn't been worked out entirely yet. But apparently having the weapons in some form is now part of our baseline, so Mr. Frary wasn't entirely incorrect.

So they may not be exact replicas of the UT weapons, and they may end up being multiplayer-only, that kinda thing... but the current consensus is that they'll be there in some form.

Hopefully that'll be the last clarification. :)

Okay, talked to Mike again, and he just said that "they're in"... maybe more details have been decided that I don't know about, so I'll shut up now. :)

- Chris

IntRed
28th Aug 2001, 04:21 PM
So they may not be exact replicas of the UT weapons, and they may end up being multiplayer-only, that kinda thing... but the current consensus is that they'll be there in some form.

Okay, talked to Mike again, and he just said that "they're in"... maybe more details have been decided that I don't know about, so I'll shut up now.

They really have a good communication going on there :lol:

ElectricHead
28th Aug 2001, 04:25 PM
:p

Doesn't this whole thing just beat reality all to hell?

EH

Zaccix
28th Aug 2001, 04:26 PM
OK, now all we need is an official statement on Unreal2.com to let us know what's going on :)

Personally, I won't lose any sleep whether the ASMD and Flak are in or not. If they do hurt game balance, then I hope Legend have the balls to remove them and not pander to a few diehards who never use any other weapon.

On the other hand, if the ASMD and Flak are included and it doesn't hurt the game by doing so then fair enough, keep them in. I just hope that Legend listens to the masses, but doesn't take everything they say to heart.

IntRed
28th Aug 2001, 04:27 PM
Time will tell, i do think that making them multiplayer only would solve everything
But didn't they said they had a variant of the shock and flak already?

ElectricHead
28th Aug 2001, 07:00 PM
Absolutely goddamn right, Zaccix.

EH

ps....what KIND of bike?

:p

EH

Tetris L
29th Aug 2001, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by The Dopefish
"L" - did YOU read the thread from which those comments originated from?
Check the times. I made my post before Chris posted his correction. :p

ravenus
29th Aug 2001, 02:00 PM
This kind of dithering around by the Legend people is really annoying. I hope the sudden inclusion of these weapons is reserved for the MP because I do not want the delicate balance of my SP adventure hurt by some shock rifle weepy-whinies :mad:
No offense meant though to the weepy-whinies. I just want the developers to have a clear vision of what they are doing and do it right.