PDA

View Full Version : Basic Cylinder Q

Machismo
27th Aug 2001, 05:59 PM
Hi Taraquin,

using the deafult cylinder the vertices of the brush dont confirm to the gird (1). this is a pain in the butt for alignment. Is there any way in which I could have the default cylinder build somethin that makes sure all vertices are on the gird (2).

Machismo
27th Aug 2001, 06:02 PM
look below for how I would like to see the brush come out.

NOTE
://=============================================================================
// ConeBuilder: Builds a 3D cone brush, compatible with cylinder of same size.
//=============================================================================

// TorusBuilderTarquin: Builds a 3D torus brush.
// compatible with cylinder of same size in both axes.
// version 1.0
// (c) 28/12/2000 Tarquin
// tarquindarkling@bigfoot.com

So the code for these would have to be changed.

Machismo
27th Aug 2001, 06:06 PM
Sorry PU doesnt allow attachment of 2 images and in the edit menu u cant attach a new image . but the point must be pretty clear by now :D

tarquin
27th Aug 2001, 06:22 PM
two replies before I even get here! w00t!
I get it... but then it wouldn't be a true cylinder, some sides would be shorter than others.

hmmm. (pondering)
For an 8-gon it's quite easy to use the 2D editor to make the cross-section, but deciding which vertices to use is the trick, it'll never looks quite right.

simplest thing in the code would be to round all the numbers up / down to the nearest grid size, though I'm not sure how it would work in practice. I'll have a play around & post here.

There isn't a Tarquin Cone builder... but I'm working on a Pyramid builder that lets you have lots of levels.

Machismo
28th Aug 2001, 05:12 AM
Yeah see thats the point I dont want to have to make the shape in the 2dedtitor - yes I already have a base shape that I keep - all vertices on the gird naturally :D

but revolving / scaling / extruding - I dont get the perfect measurements - how about a 96 radius cylinder - that takes a little doing

another problem is when I use the show/hide actors. cause it always get screwed since the cylinder is not on the gird

tarquin
28th Aug 2001, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Machismo
another problem is when I use the show/hide actors. cause it always get screwed since the cylinder is not on the gird

:confused: I don't get that! what doe the grid have to do with hiding actors?

I'll look into it next tiem I'm scripting, but I'm not sure if it'll be any good: rounding up the numbers may cause some prety weird shapes.

Machismo
28th Aug 2001, 03:52 PM
Gird & Hiding actors

when i do a ctrl+alt+left drag and do a selection a slight movement from the mose sends all the alignment to hell unlike the cube brushes :(

cause the brush tries to snap to vertex.

turning off vertex snapping still doesnt help

[edit]
yes I'm a torus lover myself :D

tarquin
28th Aug 2001, 04:29 PM
thanks for explaining. I've just run UEd and I've made some cubes and moved them off-grif, I have to say ALT+CTRL selecting doesn't move them at all. Are you running the latest version?
Right-clicking on a vertex with snap ON will click the whole brush so that vertex is on the grid.

If the cylinder brush's pivot is at its centre & the centre is on-grid then the brush will think it's aligned & there shouldn't be a problem.

Machismo
29th Aug 2001, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by tarquin
thanks for explaining. I've just run UEd and I've made some cubes and moved them off-grif, I have to say ALT+CTRL selecting doesn't move them at all. Are you running the latest version?
Right-clicking on a vertex with snap ON will click the whole brush so that vertex is on the grid.

If the cylinder brush's pivot is at its centre & the centre is on-grid then the brush will think it's aligned & there shouldn't be a problem.

Who me not run the latest ver that would be a shame :D

Up been usin UT436 from the day of its release :D

I always do reset pivot if I have any problems select the itsy bitsy teeney weeney pivot and right click so that the cylinders povot is on the gird. but thats the point when I have a lotta cylinders its just not possible to keep tabs of them like that :(.

the vertices on the gird would solve the problem :)

tell me if I'm bugging u and I'll leave :D