Valhalla Avatar beta 2 OUT!!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

marleyman69

Jun 21, 2001
Cowtown, US of A
Visit site
http://www.unreality.org/usaar33/main.html

This mod needs to be installed on the server...not client side BTW!!

Get this on your servers NOW!!!!

"August 25: VALHALLA AVATAR BETA 2 (Version 0.9) RELEASED!

A new version of the revolutionary Unreal Tournament mod has been released! Valhalla Avatar allows clients to use any model, skin, or voicepack on a server.

Features include:

-Support for all voicepacks, skins, and an overwhelming majority of player models.

-Cheat protection (especially skin cheats) that are more reliable than Epic's.

-Clients can see what models other players intend to use (and whether it is installed on their computer).

-Gestures (taunts) may be disabled server AND client side.

-Less information is replicated and thus lag should be decreased (although it will probably not be noticable).

This version is publically available. Please go to the Valhalla Avatar download section. If you have java disabled, simply click here.

Note that it will only run on dedicated servers. For a list of servers that have VA, click here."

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
I've got the mod up and running on my server now. So if you want to check it out visit the address in my sig.
I'm currently running a 6 player FFA DM. No powerups and No redeemer.

When you get the mod you will have the unreal characters for use and any voicepack and skins that you and your oppenents both have will work... plus you can switch skins ingame... :)

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Oh man, you mean both you and the other players have to have the skin you are using to see it? Damn that sucks. I thought the skins would be downloaded off the other people. Like in Half-Life TFC where the custom spraypaints are automatically downloaded as people join the game. Damn...

usaar33

Un1337
Mar 25, 2000
Unknown
www.UsAaR33.com
Thx for the p1mpage!
Originally posted by Twisted Metal
Oh man, you mean both you and the other players have to have the skin you are using to see it? Damn that sucks. I thought the skins would be downloaded off the other people. Like in Half-Life TFC where the custom spraypaints are automatically downloaded as people join the game. Damn...

Well, that does add lag :p
Besides, it seems impossible to do in unrealscript at this time. I am exploring other aspects though and it is quite possible downloading will be including when VA leaves Beta status. (i.e. VA 1.0)

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
I noticed a few things:

First, when I looked at the menu I saw my setup... but not my oppenents...
Second, I specced a match and saw two blue guys wearing the default skin.

We did have a blast switching to the Unreal skins. :D

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Does this emulate the Quake-style skin system, where if you're using a custom skin which someone else has got then they see you as that skin, else they see you as a default skin?

usaar33

Un1337
Mar 25, 2000
Unknown
www.UsAaR33.com
Originally posted by Zaccix
Does this emulate the Quake-style skin system, where if you're using a custom skin which someone else has got then they see you as that skin, else they see you as a default skin?

yes.
Although, I never looked at Quake (2?)'s code, and have no other Quake games but Q1 :)

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
sounds like QuakeWorld options, but they had the download option available:

from http://www.planetquake.com/console/
noskins
Type: Variable

Syntax: noskins (0|1|2)

Default: 0

Description: Toggle the display and downloading of skins.

Values:
0 - Enable skins (enables downloading).
1 - Disable skins (everyone uses Quake Guy).
2 - Enable skins but do not download new skins. (so if you had the same skin on your computer that someone else was using, you would see it)