being a dime... (dev-rant)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
who here is a mapper who gets tired of being refeered to as "a dime a dozen" :(

I heard the comment mentioned in that so called "SF Scandel" and ALONG time ago when I was a Action Quake 2 mapper, and a year or so ago when I was making CS maps.

I for one get pertty sick of it :hmm:

its like my work is deperciated, and the only ones who matter in the team are the coders and stuff :hmm: and then maps are just kinna added.

I also noticed who gets screwed out the most when a mod gets published or distributed on CD-ROM are the mappers :p

remember "SCREW ARCANE NOW" back in the early days of QUAKE 1. they said they made all those maps that they found on the net?

there needs to be a mappers union or some'n...

Dec 18, 2000
home.hot.rr.com
Kinda sad but there are alooooot of mappers, but I still think they play just as an important role as say a coder. Imagine playing INF in DM-INF-Subtracted Cube!! :D The way Opti put it was very negative. He should think before he runs his pie hole.

Gullonefox

TBUILDT Webmaster/Mapper
Nov 27, 2000
www.planetunreal.com
Its not a really nice thing to say about anyone... Its not a positve way to make people feel good about what they are doing... And I feel that mappers are just as important as anyone on a games development team. they set the stage for the play to take place, give somone the best game around and then give them a set of crap maps.. you think they will play very long? Nah neither do I.
But as for a lot of mappers yes there are a few .. but when do you class a mapper a mapper? thats more the question.
Anyway im off bye :)

From... a guy still training to be a mapper!

the vrrc

noexistant user
Jun 16, 2001
Visit site
"I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the phrase "a dime a dozen", could someone be so kindly to explain the meaning?"

"a dime a dozen"=cheap, remunerable, worthless

lol

Los Pescados

Infiltration Team Member
Nov 3, 2000
Surrey, BC, Canada
Look at it literally, you might figure it out.. "a dime a dozen" .. meaning you could buy a dozen of them for a dime. They're worth less than a penny each.

Mike

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
Mappers have always been a dime a dozen :p

But you see, out of all those mappers, few are actually good. That's what makes thier works stand out. There are at least 50 mappers I can name off the top of my head for different games, but out of those 50, maybe one or two leave a lasting impression. I look at thier work and say 'Man, I wish I was that dedicated, that original.' Those are the mappers that are remembered.