Metal v.s Magic - TC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

silver_error

Aug 26, 2001
Canada
Visit site
After months of sitting in the dark, designing this mod on paper and figuring out which engine to go with, I have finally chosen to go with the Unreal Tournament Engine. It is by far a better choice. Sure Quake III looks wonderful but its to futuristic by default. Atleast UT has some nice battle environments and realistic looking weapons. But of course that will change once we insert our environments and weapons. I will introduce myself; my name is silver_error and I'am 19 from Canada. I've been into editing games for quite some time now. First it started with Doom then moved on to Quake, then Halflife etc. I haven't released anything because everything I did was for me and me alone. Such as custom menu programming, weapon packs, particles etc. I have the experience. I've been programming for around 2 years. But that isn't my gold mine, my gold mine is with modelling and animation aswell with 2d art. Skinning for example. I'am interested in Unreal Tournaments engine and been playing the game for awhile and finally got bored of it. So I thought of taking the game furthur by developing a mod based on design I have in mind. I will break the mod down into everything I have on paper, so read on:

Title: Metal v.s Magic
Theme: Reality/Fantasy
Engine: Unreal Tournament
---------------------------

Introduction

Take what you know about earth and toss it out the window. You are about to enter a new earth. Where things are possible that couldnt of been on the earth you know. Metal v.s Magic is a modification for Unreal Tournament that pits two groups against each other. The first one is the Humans; who are highly advanced in technology and have the brains to succeed, and you have the Mages; who are a magical group of people who practice magic as their form of fighting. These two groups are very similiar physically; they both have the human figure, hair ontop of their head, muscles, lips, eyes etc. The humans are dressed in jeans, gun holsters, vests etc and the mages are dressed in leather, combined with jeans, boots and chain linked clothing. But where they differ is inside. The humans posess a power like no other, knowledge. The can make powerful weapons of destruction, they can create pills and vaccines to heal wounds or pains. Whereas the Mages hold a somewhat greater power, where they can cast powerful spells from their hands. They can cast spells to heal themself, make their strength increase for a short period of time and many other spell related effects. But they are a little slow in the mind. These two groups are fighting for control, to be the dominant force on earth and they will do anything to get that control. The battle of metal v.s magic has started; what side are you on?

Features

-Two rival groups: Humans and Mages
-Unique spell effects for Mages
-A complete list of weapons ranging from assault rifles to grenades.
-Mixed-environments. Levels consist of a mixture between rock and metal, water and fire etc to create some unique visuals and splendid gameplay. There still will be the urban, medievalish levels which consist of one theme and not two of course.
-Characters instead of random player models; each character will have a flexible past and biography and will be balanced fiendisly in areas such as dexterity, jump height, strength etc
-Two-weapon fighting system; mages can use human weapons and cast spells at the same time.
-Learning system; humans can learn to cast spells by collecting parts of Mages as they kill them. Spells will have a number by their icons to represent how many pieces need to be collected before the spell can be used.

Those are a few ideas/features I have planned for Metal v.s Magic. However, I'am still uncertain to as what I can implement and what I cannot.

Gamemodes

Type: Deathmatch
Information: This is your standard deathmatch, for those of you who enjoy a good frag.

Type: Hackers
Information:One team must enter other teams base and hack their mainframe and download valuable data. Once downloaded they must bring it back to their base. The other team must protect their mainframe from opposing force.

Type: Head Hunter
Information: Both teams are out to collect each others heads. The team who collects all of the other teams heads wins.

Type: Frag Run
Information: Both teams must reach a given place [set by the mapper; usually in a high building or cliff] before the other one does, then back down.

Weapons

Pistols
-Desert Eagle .50
-Beretta 96FS
-FN Forty Nine Pistol
Sub-machine guns
-HK Mp5a5
-HK UMP45
-FN P90
-Mac-10
Assault Rifles
-M4 Carbine
-Steyr Aug
-HK G36K
-AK-47
Shotguns
-Remington 870
-Benelli M1
-Triple Barrelled
Sniper Rifles
-PSG-1
-Barrett M-82A1 .50 BMG Sniper Rifle
Equipment
-Metal Plate
-Kevlar Vest
-Helmet
-Frag Grenade
-Flashbang
]b]Misc[/b]
-Wand

Spells

Type: Heal
Information: This is a heal spell. It uses a fair amount of your Spell Meter. Heals 15% of your health

Type: Fireball
Information: This casts a fireball at your enemie which will cause a slight damage effect. You can charge it for a more devastating blow.

Type: Protect
Information: This casts a shield over you. It can only block certain types of bullets and has 10 health. Meaning 10 hits and it dissapears. The set timer is 40 seconds before it disappears on its own.

Type: Team Protect
Information: This has the same effect as the above, the only difference is you can cast it on your team to give them protection.

Type: Invisible
Information: The makes you invisible for 40 seconds.

Type: Decay
Information: When casted on an enemy, it attacks them for 10 seconds taking 2 health off each attack.

Misc Information

Magic Meter The Mages have a magic meter that decreases with each spell you use. It will be apart of the HUD which will be a little meter that decreases and increases. It will increase when you get a kill, just slightly however.

Mage parts: Humans can pick up pieces of the Mages they kill; with every 5 they collect they get a spell. The spells will have a number by its icon which displays how many Mage pieces you need in order to access the spell.

Weapons: There will be no weapon buying in Metal v.s Magic. Instead, you can choose a number of weapons, depending on the character you picked and how many they allowed to carry.
-----------------

Well this should be enough to hopefully attract a few people, if its not I will come back and post the rest. I'am primarily looking for:

Mapper(s)
A webpage designer
Graphics Artist

...as I can handle everything else.

If you are interested please contact me via:

email: killahfreak187@hotmail.com

Thanks for your time,

silver_error

P.S - Excuse any spelling mistakes or typos, I'am very tired. If you want to offer help in anything, just email me and let me know what you can offer. Any extra modellers, scripters etc are welcome.

Last edited:

DrWinky

i didnt do evil school to be called Mr
Jun 20, 2001
UK
Visit site
hey man,

Nice idea, some good innovation in there, but still some things need clearing up. Free range of weapons gives the game a lack of challenge. Why not use a stats type deal, so that the player gets better weapons for being good, increasing powers, level up etc. This would give it an even greater RPG feel.

With cleverly implemented character skills, the characterss could be shaped exactly how each player wants, like a sniper rifle, with a close protection spell in reserve, or a silenced pistol and shadow spell, for stealthy people etc.

So new players have a chance, i think it would be a good idea to limit the maximum prowess of each character, so that noone can be impossibly strong, an amazing shot from 10000000 miles away and be able to end the world with a fire spell.

Good luck

DrWinky

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
In fact this idea looks a lot like FEBA,look at the link in my sig.
Anyway that doesn't mean that you shouldn't make your mod,but people will inevitably make the comparison.

silver_error

Aug 26, 2001
Canada
Visit site
How is Metal v.s Magic compared to F.E.B.A or similiar? That mod is set in the future and consists of just one thing similiar which is spells.

MvsM is a reality mixed with fantasy modification. Humans and Mages are far off from your alien races and earth forces. But I think I see what you mean.

Out,

silver_error

Aug 26, 2001
Canada
Visit site
Ha, those are mages from the medieval world. These mages are from the 21st Century, or the different "Earth". So they have to stick with modern society, however they do have a different style of clothing. Chainmeshed shirts with trench coats. They are somewhat medieval but not so much you can really call them medieval mages.

Out,