Moderation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RavenStarSinger

I can make you die laughing or just shoot you
May 30, 2001
On the grassy knoll . . .
Visit site
This may be a truly stupid question, but does anyone here think I would make a good forum moderator . . . I know I only hang out in the OT section lately, which brought me to an interesting thought. What if there were a few moderators chosen SPECIFICALLY for each of the INF forums? I doubt this is going to go anywhere, but I thought I would bring it up as an point of interest. Also, I'd like to hear from anyone else that thinks they might enjoy contributing as a forum-specific moderator. Who knows, MAYBE someone important might like the idea?

I think the guys are doing a GREAT job, and I'm not trying to insinuate that any other the moderators are either doing a bad job, or aren't doing it at all, but I AM saying that perhaps they may like having a little load taken off of them. Make their lives easier by giving a few duties to a few people that might enjoy helping out. Anyhow, let's see where this one goes :)

/ME LOVES INF FORUM!

the vrrc

noexistant user
Jun 16, 2001
Visit site
Heh, if the forum regulars keep leaving like this, and the idiot n00bs keep coming in, they might have to make the few remaining people who aren't stupid or n00bs moderators so INF can stay... um... not n00btastically stupid.

Bad Dream

Nightmare
Jun 1, 2001
Boltonia
entertaining.20m.com
The question of forum specific moderators arose on the message boards that I moderate for (http://thevoyagersite.co.uk) and we decided not to go with it because a specific moderator might not be availible to moderate something that another moderator might spot, and moving messages between boards would then have to go through a mid-way board that all moderators moderate and a request to finish the move would have to be sent to a moderator of the recieving board.

Overall it is better to keep moderators global to the boards.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
...and usually people who ask, are ignored

"Usually"? what "usually"? :confused:

The current moderators are the only moderators the INF forum has ever had. And as far as I know we haven't added any since :p

We were chosen just before the forums moved here to PU buy Warren and Hand of Darkness (who was just DarknesS at the time) to take the load off the INF team (who was moderating the forums while trying to develop INF and maintain lives.

So nobody asked if they could be moderators, we just got online oneday and there was an email in each of our mail boxes asking if we would like to be moderators.

That said, if for some reason we were to add a moderator in the future, we will pick someone who we think will be a good moderator... regardless of whether or not they ask if they can be a mod (however, not being demanding is one trait that we would look for in a future mod team member ;) ).

So if we decide to add a moderator to the team, don't expect us to advertise an open position.

Also, Warren has the final say on who is and is not a moderator...not the mod team.

RavenStarSinger

May 30, 2001
Visit site
Gotcha!

I hope I wasn't sounding demanding :\ Mostly, as I stated, I just felt that perhaps a few of the moderators might like the help, considering the influx of new people and new threads. That's a LOT of stuff to read. Hell, I STILL haven't read ALL of the British Gun Ban post! I guess what it comes down to is that I am stating my availability for it, should Warren possibly decide that a few more people could be of use. That, and I also wanted to hear from a few more of the level-headed people, since those are the types that would have any remote interest in moderating. Anywho, I'd still like to hear from anyone else that's ever had any interest in moderating, just to hear what you think. Like they say, though . . . it's just a discussion, at this point, right?

perrin98

Aug 17, 2000
You don't need the moderator status to keep the forums under control. Zundy and the other mods rarely/never use their abilities to close/delete threads. Just post mature and level-headed responses and it'll have the same effect.

RavenStarSinger

May 30, 2001
Visit site
YEAH!!!!

I'd like to think I already to that to a greater effect! YEAH! IM A QUASI-MODERATOR! In all seriousness, though, that IS a great point. I think this should be posted in all of the INF forums, as a means of letting the people know that the best way to harmony is if we moderate OURSELVES. If we all work to make things run smoothly here, there will BE NO DELETED POSTS OR LOCKED THREADS! I think we're an exception community that, for the most part, looks after one another, and tries to get along, even when we don't all see eye to eye. I'd like to see that in deeper practice, though. Anyhow, I'm gonna prowl about for a bit . . .

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Zundy and the other mods rarely/never use their abilities to close/delete threads.

He's right...90%+ of the "moderator stuff" I do is moving threads to their correct forum and deleting multiple posts.

I've probably closed less then a dozen threads since becoming a moderator.