intersecting

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DemonLord

Game
Mar 19, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.utjunkie.com
I was looking at a map in ued and notice the designer had created an entire, pretty complex room doing an intersect. Why? Does it help the framerate if you see all the ads and subractions vs one big ad?

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
if it was terrain odds are they did it in a different application and imported it in as a brush. If you make complex brushes in UeD you get BSP holes more often.

DemonLord

Game
Mar 19, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.utjunkie.com
RE:

No, it was a building. with hallways and walls. Probably about 20 different subtractions and ads were use to create the room before the intersect.

I'm just curious because if it makes maps run smoother it could be worth it.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
i actually asked this very same question some time back... anyways, it's apparently something that the level gods have been discussing for quite a long time, yet no one really knows for sure if it offers any performance benefits... basically it all boils down to personal preference, and convenience...

btw, OT but i love your avatar... i can't for the life of me recall the name of the graphic novels, but that was an awesome mini-series... scandinavian, if i'm not mistaken?

combitz

Common sense is not that common
May 1, 2000
U.K
combitz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
as far as i'm aware by making building out of one brush by intersecting it, makes it alot easier to duplicate map areas. I also think it helps frame rates but eats up memory. I think thats about it. Thats my finding anyway if anyone knows different i'll be please to here your opinion

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
Originally posted by ChrisToth.hu
There is no real rule for this one...you need to try it before and after.

icon14.gif

Yeah but think of the disadv. If a lot of the adds are semisolids you hurt more than help your level. I'm a semi-solid lover :D

Toomanyaardvarks

el hombre de los moleculos
Oct 24, 2000
yeah, i did that one time. it worked perfectly! i made a dm level with a reasonable level of complexity, intersected it with a brush considerably larger than the map itself, and added the new brush to a subtracted brush of the same size. change the brush to a semisolid, and the framerate just shoots up! you can see this on the unreal 1 level i created a long time ago, DMPeruzo (it its still available on nalicity). has anyone else ever done this?

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
That is dangerous since you would have to playtest the level thoruoughly to see players dont fall off at some point. In a huge map it would just not be worth the effort. and in a small map why go to the trouble since you node count will probably be pretty low.