PDA

View Full Version : No Shock in U2....

ElectricHead
23rd Aug 2001, 01:24 PM
well Well WELL....

ISNT that just a SHAME???

What will the one-weapon-masters DO???

Just saw on Blues that no Shock in U2. I guess there will be SOME players that will actually have to learn how to fire at a player as opposed to a blue ball.

Good luck.....:D

EH

IntRed
23rd Aug 2001, 03:56 PM
not really important to me though
its about time we got something new :D
damn blue balls, chasing me

ASMDFreak
23rd Aug 2001, 11:58 PM
No shock in U2 ? I find that very hard to believe .To ommit the shockrifle from an Unreal game is totally insane .Why not take out all the other weapons as well so the game is reduced to a feeble attempt to cash in on the Unreal name ...you know get an established brand name so you don't have to do any work developing your own and basically gut it ...if that is what happens here then I won't buy it .If they don't have a shock rifle then most of the real UT players will stick to UT until UW comes out ,either not buying U2 or buying it and regarding it as a glorified expansion pack .I feel that people making sequels need to be extremely carefull when ommiting features/weapons that define the core game experience ...put simply if there is no shock rifle then it is NOT Unreal ...

BZMew2|PuF
24th Aug 2001, 12:02 AM
/me looks at ASMD's name.

:rolleyes: A bit biased, no?

I like the shock rifle, though... it's a pretty cool gun.

ASMDFreak
24th Aug 2001, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by BZMew2|PuF
/me looks at ASMD's name.

:rolleyes: A bit biased, no?

I like the shock rifle, though... it's a pretty cool gun.

Check my first post here ..it had nothing to do with the omission of the Shock Rifle ...I use this name cause I the own with ASMD and because ...well I'm a freak !! :)

IntRed
24th Aug 2001, 04:30 AM
i hardly think noone is going to buy u2 cause there aint no shock in it, how smallminded are you,
you'r looking at one of the most advanced eninge in the world, being produced by one of the best development team around, and you'r complaining about a shock rifle??

Nitrev
24th Aug 2001, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by TTRStryker8
i hardly think noone is going to buy u2 cause there aint no shock in it, how smallminded are you,
you'r looking at one of the most advanced eninge in the world, being produced by one of the best development team around, and you'r complaining about a shock rifle??

you are my hero :)

IntRed
24th Aug 2001, 07:54 AM
besides the fact that my reply is totally misspelled i thank you ;)

Nitrev
24th Aug 2001, 08:18 AM
ah well I know that "belgen" can't spell ;)

j/k of course :)

IntRed
24th Aug 2001, 09:19 AM
so you must be a dutch then?
did you know its infested with dutch the whole forum?
though they tend to be nice when they'r not posting ;)

Nitrev
24th Aug 2001, 12:07 PM
Fear us dutchies!! :D

Altough I'm not a typical "belgian disrespecting" dutchie, my parents live in belgium, so I actually like the country and it's people...as long as they're not speaking french ;)

ElectricHead
24th Aug 2001, 01:18 PM
I dont have a prob with new weps(or no "old" weps) in a new game. In fact, I think its one of the main things that makes it a new game. This way, I have a bunch of NEW weps to master, just like I mastered ALL the weps in UT.( I still have trouble with that Redeemer-jump tho....any pointers would be appreciated...:D).

Besides, the ShockCombo isnt the most powerful "standard weapon" (meaning everything but the Redeemer) in UT anyway.
A full charge of the BIORifle is over 400 damage points(read this somewhere but dont remember where)...so someone with Big-Keg-O-Health and the Belt will be VERY dead with a full charge of goop. If they dont include that or ANY weps(even the MiniGun, and i'm a MiniWhore) in U2 then its ok...there wil always be something new to learn.

EH

WildfireX2000
24th Aug 2001, 06:02 PM
Basically this makes a sad sort of sense. All of these weapons were from Na Pali except for the AutoMag and the dispersion pistol. The "expansion pack" weapons are apparently returning, and I would personally bet on a Razorjack-weilding Skaarj class in the game, meaning a Razorjack. You can also pretty much assume someone's gonna make a mod.

Still, you do have to be careful with what you add/remove.

hal
25th Aug 2001, 08:28 AM
That's interesting considering that Computer Games World Magazine reported that the ASMD and Flak were both to be included. Of course, I tend to believe Mike Verdu. :)

Tetris L
25th Aug 2001, 01:08 PM
Damn, I'm out of office for 3 days and miss all the action. ;)

A number of major disapointments in the Mike Verdu Q&A (http://www.unreality.org/news/news_small.asp?Number=4154) for me:

"2. Will it filter out alot of cheats that UT didnt?
We'll be relying on Epic for updated [anti-cheat] code - I'm sure they have learned a great deal from the experience with UT."

Errr? Anti-cheat is Epic's job? Is that part of the U engine? Anyway, I'm sure they'll do a great job, like they did for UT. (cough cough ... not) :mad:

"4. Will there be an ASMD shock rifle?
Nope. But there are 15 weapons total, including lots of new cool stuff."

No shock, that's indeed a shock. I don't care if they have tons of other nice weapons instead. The ASMD simply belongs to Unreal. You wanna make a game with no ASMD, no Flak, no Nalis, ...? Fine, do it, but don't call it Unreal if it has nothing to do with Unreal! :mad:

"7. What api is U2 going to have native or optimized support in? both Opengl and Direct3D?
Direct3D"

So it's confirmed that any other render system has been dumped. :(

"11. Will there be any multiplayer features designed with tournaments kept in mind?
Keep in mind that Unreal II has a heavy emphasis on single player game play. UT took the Unreal franchise to the next level in multiplayer game play, and we want to do the same for the single player."

Which is why I'll probably be playing PlanetSide instead of U2. :(

" Not to say that we won't have a kick-ass multiplayer game with some innovative new features - but we aren't building a competitor to Tribes2."

No, looking at the XMP description it sounds like you don't build a competitor, but a rip-off. :mad:

"14. Can players play co-op in Unreal2?
Co-op is currently not in the cards."

It has been rumored for long time due to some comments by the dev team, but I think this is the first official confirmation. All I can say is: This sux industrial size assage. You don't emphasize on multiplayer game modes, then at least give us decent co-op. :mad:

"16. Will there be multi-processor SMP support in U2?
This is a question for Epic."

How is that a question for Epic? Again, it's not the engine that has to be coded multithreaded, but the whole game.

"18. Any big improvements in the network code in terms of 50 plus players online ... ?
We won't be supporting 50 players on-line at the same time."

So, what is "expanded" about the expanded multiplayer mode? It seems like a T2 rip-off, except with less players. :mad:

"21. Will those kick ass Krall appear in Unreal2?
The Skaarj will make a return appearance from the first game, but the rest of our creatures, characters, and enemies are new."

IMO the Skaarj is new too. That ugly muscular U2 thing hardly looks like the original Skaarj. You only called it Skaarj to have at least one single little bit that is related to U1 somehow, to justify that you called the game an Unreal sequel. :mad:

"27. Will there be a demo-version?
This is up to Epic and Infogrames. I'm currently assuming that we're going to release a demo - but not until near the release of the whole game."

Hmmmm .... what is "near"? Two weeks or so? Epic released the UT demo long enough before the game to be able to make a few changes to the game based on the feedback they got from the demo. Legend would be wise to do the same.

Legend try hard not to give out any info about their game so-called "Unreal 2", but lately whenever they release a new bit of info it turns out to be a disapointment for me. They totally ignore what the oldschool Unrealers and the hardcore UT players have to say. :( :mad:

To put it short: I'm more and more pissed off. PlanetSide, here I come.

IntRed
25th Aug 2001, 01:52 PM
if you don't like it then don't put your time in making the game look bad.
*flash* asmd is not unreal *flash*
its the unreal universe what makes unreal a great game
don't see why you all are making a big deal out of this, they are making a sequel out of unreal, so its only normal that exiting new things are being brougt to the scene, while other stay the same.

ASMDFreak
25th Aug 2001, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by TTRStryker8

Omg I wonder if I should even have to point this out to you ...I'm small minded because of MY perception of the game being apparently too far removed from the game mechanics of Unreal/UT ?It is you that is extemely small minded for disagreeing on a point and twisting it (in a very unsophiticated/child like way) into a weak flame .And as far as engines go where does that enter into the thread here ?People like you wade into arguments ,lose the plot and take it off tangent ,resorting to cheap attacks ...I am not commenting on the engine because it is totally irrelevant to THIS thread .FWIW the engine will be outclassed by the doom 3 engine but anyway lets not get off topic eh ?? No shock rifle in U2 WILL certainly ,absolutely disillusion the vast majority of good UT players .Unreal Warfare ,when it appears will wipe U2 from the face of the earth .Unreal 2 will sell because of the brand name ,the developers know it and so should you .It is supremely irionic that you laud the development team as being one of the best when all they are doing is taking the safe route of producing a BRAND NAME game sequel .I find it hard to believe that you are so small minded (and apparently stupid) as to not be able to see this ...I'll give you a little tip -->I wouldn't attempt to interpret a person based on a post on a message board .People that do this are either :
1.idiots
2.have no self esteem
3.are under 15 years old

which one are you ?

OH btw i am a Unreal/UT level designer and can understand and discuss unreal series game mechanics a LOT better than you .Are you seeing the danger of interpreting a person from a single post yet ? knock knock ?The entire game mechanics of the multiplayer element will be altered to the point of it losing the unreal/UT identity .Despite your bllind faith in a development team to produce a product you haven't seen aside ,Unreal 2 will lose most of the present audience in the multiplayer areas ,it will be played of course but UW is the real deal and this will be a tide me over till then game for most .Allegedly a sequel it screams expansion pack and NO not simply because it lacks a shock rifle .You can be CERTAIN that epic will include a shock rifle in Unreal Warfare .That concludes the lesson ...please don't adress me again

hal
25th Aug 2001, 02:25 PM
First off. Take a deep breath guys! :D The personal barbs only muddy the waters of debate!

I too am disappointed because of the missing ASMD. My only hope is that there is an equivalent weapon that isn't called ASMD or ShockRifle and that Mike is just being evasive. It's one of the most unique weapons in all of FPS gaming. It fills a very neat gap in weapons strategy.

Maybe they're doing this to really set it apart from the UT part of the series (you know "brand development") so that there is a real demand for both?

I don't know, but I was disappointed in some of the answers that Mike gave too. TTL summed it up nicely.

Nitrev
25th Aug 2001, 02:28 PM
Because you don't want him to adress you anymore, I'll do it instead.

Originally posted by ASMDFreak

And as far as engines go where does that enter into the thread here...

he's referring to a good point. A very good development team, a very good engine, all things which people can discuss about, but instead a lot of people are whining about 1 weapon which goes out.

[/i]

OH btw i am a Unreal/UT level designer and can understand and discuss unreal series game mechanics a LOT better than you

1) knowing how to build levels for a game does not immediately make you a person who can discuss the game's mechanics and put other people down, and certainly not when the other guy..

2) is also a mapper (check his sig, he's a mapper for a wwII mod)

[/i]

I find it hard to believe that you are so small minded (and apparently stupid) as to not be able to see this ...I'll give you a little tip -->I wouldn't attempt to interpret a person based on a post on a message board .People that do this are either :
1.idiots
2.have no self esteem
3.are under 15 years old

which one are you ?

Funny that you should say this, because you doing exactly the same with him. He makes 1 post, and you start ranting knowing more them him etc.

So the question is, which one are you? 1, 2 or 3?

So sorry, but you'll have to try harder then that :rolleyes:. Please lose the hypocrasy (<-- spelling? :D) and try again.

Tetris L
25th Aug 2001, 02:40 PM
TTRStryker8:

if you don't like it then don't put your time in making the game look bad.
You missunderstand why I am complaining. I'm complaining because I care about the game. If I wouldn't care, I wouldn't b*tch. I'd just proceed and try the next game on my list, like I did with other games before. But Unreal is different. It's been my game of choice for long long time, and I want U2 to be a great game. But from what I've heard lately I'm concerned that Legend is going into a direction that I don't like at all.
its the unreal universe what makes unreal a great game
What defines the "Unreal Universe" for you, except the Unreal logo on the game box?
don't see why you all are making a big deal out of this, they are making a sequel out of unreal, so its only normal that exiting new things are being brougt to the scene, while other stay the same.

What stays the same? They've changed all characters, all creatures, all weapons, all environments, ...

IntRed
25th Aug 2001, 02:58 PM
First of all its only natural, things evolve we can't stand still with the same things, same in this case with the asmd rifle
There will be combo weapon(s) included in u2, so most lickely these will be based on the asmd weapon.
The unreal universe isn't about the weapons, its about the storyline, its about the atmosphere in the levels (i'm mostly referring to unreal 1, since ut didn't have much of a storyline)
And the complexity of the levels they made, blending the typical background noises into the levels.
They maintained elements like the Skaarj, and they didn't replaced them, they improved them to fit the engine's capabilities.

The entire game mechanics of the multiplayer element will be altered to the point of it losing the unreal/UT identity
There, you sead it yourself, unreal ][ isn't aimed at multiplayer.
Did for example quake loose its identity by dropping the nailgun in quake2??
I'm not praising the dev team here, i'm just very confident that they will come up with an equal stategic/powerful weapon in the sequal.

and if any1 is attacking any1 around here its you.
And if you'r the so called expert on u/ut engines and level design, why don't you go do a little diy yourself and start your own damn thing, instead of breaking down other peoples work.
All you ever do around here is take quotes from interviews, we all read them, but does this make me qualified as a unreal engine expert?
:rolleyes:

And i'm sorry if i seem so hostile in my reply, i didn't mean it bad, its just that i find it very hard to believe you'r going to dislike u2 because of the asmd missing, if thats the case, well then you shouldn't be making any remarks about the game, seeing you'v set your mind up that doom 3 and planetside will wipe it of the face of the earth

ravenus
25th Aug 2001, 03:15 PM
I will say this,
The direction of a series is essentially the decision of its creators. Fans can well have their say but its not their jobs that are on the line. Epic are the founders of the unreal franchise and if they feel that what Legend is doing with it is good then, well it is. I personally am quite happy with most of what I've heard about the game. Yes, I do have a couple of gripes with some of the weapon choices and other things like the choice of music composer etc. but hey, if the end product is a fun and refreshing experience I'm well willing to take that in stride. I am sure Legend is not blind to what feedback they get from the fans, no sensible developer can afford to be, but at the same time they have to refrain from pandering to every demand that nostalgic fans make because they may then end up making only a graphically advanced version of the same game for which again they woould receive flak (no pun intended) from the gamers. The unreal universe is wide enough to support the diversity that distinguishes U2 from its predecessor.

One suggestion for the die-hard loyalists who do not appreciate these variations in the gameplay experience: Check the game out at a friend's place when it releases. If you feel disappointed, don't buy it and let the developers know why so. That's one way to be sure to get their ear. But don't base your entire evaluation of the game's fun value on the prsence/absence of one single element.

LordKhaine
25th Aug 2001, 03:51 PM
I dont think a lot of you realise how much the shock rifle effects gameplay. The whole style of UT (and I would guess unreal), is shaped by the shock rifle. You can play UT without knowledge of any weapon, apart from the shock rifle. If you dont know how to avoid a combo in unreal, you die, a lot. The whole way people move in unreal is shaped by the danger of the shock combo and/or multirocket groups.

If you ask me, losing the shock rifle is a great blow to unreal2.

(oh, and as for the L shaped Tertis block, he used to be called Cleaner, who did a very well known page about UT concerning among other things, aliases in .ini files. So its safe to say he knows what hes talking about.)

Tetris L
25th Aug 2001, 04:06 PM
Legend Ent. Press Conference to announce that they'll be making the movie "Alien 6"

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm proud to announce that Legend Entertainment has been awarded as the maker of the sequel movie to the highly successful Alien(tm) movie series. You'll be pleased to hear that we have decided to be creative and make a few minor changes:

The movie will play on earth instead of space.
Christina Apllegate will be starring as Ripley instead of Sigourney Weaver.
There won't be no Aliens in the movie. We focus on Jones, Ripley's cat known from part 1 and 2 of the movie. Instead of the nasty aliens there will be lots of fluffy kittens in the movie.
It won't be no science fiction or action movie. We decided to change the concept into an animal and love story.
A few more minor changes.

We're confident that despite the minor changes the fans of the Alien series will love the movie, as it features the same quality entertainment that they are used to from the precedessors.

Thanks for your support
Mike Verdu
Legend Entertainment

ElectricHead
25th Aug 2001, 05:07 PM
Heh...thats funny -The-Tetris-L-.

I think its fine that some people will not play U2 because of something that feels "not of the Unreal universe". I would rather play online with players that like multiple aspects of the game instead of focusing on just one part. Look at Q3 (I know, its been beat into the ground but really); "grab the RocketLauncher, frag, repeat". Gee...THATS fun. Replace "RocketLauncher" with "ShockRifle" and you have the way SOME players look at UT.

On a server that I play on(when it runs....:D), the Admin had the shock removed for one level(Thorns) and replaced with the MiniGun...all the "Shockers" scores went right down the toliet...c'mon, its not the ONLY damn wep...I like it too but I like ALL of the weps....well, maybe not the Ripper....;) .

So, other than looking forward too the release of Duke4 sometime in Q2 of 2009(using the Unreal Nuclear-Piledriver engine, version 6.2), I also look forward to Unreal2 and whatever weps will be in it...with or without some form of ShockRifle.

EH

Snipeo
25th Aug 2001, 08:20 PM
All I see is a vast sea of people dissing a game that hasnt even been released yet. I see some people saying that Legend are ruining the Unreal feel or wotever, did it ever occur to you that a game doesnt need a familiar feel to make it great. A new game is just that, it can have a completely new feel to it, new everything, and it'll still rock.

Don't write off something you've never tried. Be patient my friends. :D

LordKhaine
26th Aug 2001, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by ElectricHead
Look at Q3 (I know, its been beat into the ground but really); "grab the RocketLauncher, frag, repeat".

You dont play much Q3 do you?....

TwoHardCore
27th Aug 2001, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by LordKhaine

You dont play much Q3 do you?....

heh, no it's more like Grab the railgun/RL hop like a 'bunny on speed', frag, repeat.:rolleyes:

Metakill
27th Aug 2001, 02:12 AM
They never should have gotten rid of Tom Baker. And whats with this New Star Trek?

[IsP]KaRnAgE
27th Aug 2001, 02:06 PM
no ASMD shock rifle, not "no shock combo"....

if the shock combo itself were removed from the game then yes it would be a tragedy, however if there is another weapon that, while not a true shock rifle, can produce a "combo-like" blast in much the same way the good ol' rifle does, then so be it. The shock is as much of the Unreal Universe as a multiple rocket loading rocket launcher, it makes unreal special..

how would quakers feel of Q4 had no railgun? or if Doom 3 had no chainsaw?:p

Zaccix
27th Aug 2001, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by ASMDFreak
FWIW the engine will be outclassed by the doom 3 engine but anyway lets not get off topic eh ??
No, let's go OT for a minute. Can you give me your opinions, preferably based on first-hand experience, of the Doom 3 engine? I, like many others here, am curious to know how it has progressed so far and how it stacks up against the Unreal Engine.

Nah, didn't think you could.

All I see here are people dissing Unreal 2 because it won't have a shock rifle. Cry me a river and wind it through the country! Who knows, maybe U2 will play better without an ASMD. Maybe the U2 weapons fit the game better and an ASMD would be out of place. Maybe it has to do with game balance.

I'm not particularly fond of the decision to remove the shock either, as it's a unique weapon in FPS gaming and truly takes a lot of skill to master. However, I don't think a decision such as that would be taken lightly based on the popularity of the weapon.

When U2 is released, if it sucks then fair enough, it sucks. Try the game before you diss it, though. None of us have had the opportunity to do that yet.

Tetris L
28th Aug 2001, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Zaccix
All I see here are people dissing Unreal 2 because it won't have a shock rifle.

I'm dissing U2 (Legend respectively) because they've dumped virtually everything from the original Unreal. U2 may be a good game (nobody knows yet), but for sure it has nothing to do with U1. "Unreal" is just a sticker that they put on it to make it sell better.

Nitrev
28th Aug 2001, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by -The-Tetris-L-

"Unreal" is just a sticker that they put on it to make it sell better.

Quake 2 also had nothing in common with quake1, but it was still a very nice game. Do Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX have anything in common except the name? No. Are they good games? Yes.

!tango.j
28th Aug 2001, 02:22 PM
I have enjoyed reading the topic.

I thank yall for your insight about U2 and UW

I will most likely buy them both.

ps
mosty likely=borrow it, install it, if I like then buy it from the store.
pps Support games you like.