Some very annoying crashes here...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What problems have YOU had with UT

• Crashes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Bad graphics even though you had a super video card

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Errors, BSOD

• Anything that I forgot

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Refus

Aug 22, 2001
Netherlands
Visit site
:mad:

Ok here's my problem:
I start up Unreal Tournament, patched and well.
Runs oh sooooooooooo smooth with my cracky old Viper 770 Ultra(god knows what Ultra is good for), running in 32bit colors and 1024*768 resolution. No ugly graphics, no shocking graphics, almost perfect!
Then all of a sudden without a notice, UT crashes! Nothing goes wrong before it crashes, still running smooth as before.
This happens like every half hour, never had it before untill I installed Win2K so I think that's the problem.
But, can anyone verify that for me since I havn't heard of an official Win2K problem with UT... :rolleyes:
That's Win2K with SP2 btw.

My system is:
Asus A7V133, Via Apollo KT133A chipset with latest 4in1 drivers.
AMD Athlon 1ghz @ 1.3ghz ~47 degrees celcius.
384MB SDRam PC 133 @ cas2.
Diamond Viper 770 Ultra(not overclocked).
Maxtor DiamondMax 20.4GB 7200 UDMA100.
Soundblaster Live! Value.
Windows 2000 w/SP2.
Latest drivers for all my hardware.

When I set my CPU back to 1ghz UT will still crash.
When doing non-3D benchmarks (i.e. sandra) my system is rock stable.
3DMark 2001 used to crash when I did the benchmark but it's stable now. Makes sense, since 3DMark is a 3D benchmark.

I used to run Windows 98se and never had any trouble with UT.
I used to run UT on a PII 350 with 128MB SDRam with this Viper and it worked great!

Try to find a solution for this :eek2:

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
The only thing I could suggest is that you make sure you have the latest drivers for the Viper770 and the Via chipset. I was going to say that UT is very sensitive to overclocking but you state that it crashes even when not overclocked. Are you using NTFS or Fat32? Why did you install Win2K, are you running a server of some kind? Are you sure that the CPU is actually running at 47 degrees? Because it sounds like overheating to me. Just because your heatsink is 47 degrees doesn't mean the CPU is running that cool, did you use a high quality thermal paste like arctic silver? Are you using a good heatink or the AMD supplied one.

Refus

Aug 22, 2001
Netherlands
Visit site
Originally posted by Zaphrod
The only thing I could suggest is that you make sure you have the latest drivers for the Viper770 and the Via chipset. I was going to say that UT is very sensitive to overclocking but you state that it crashes even when not overclocked. Are you using NTFS or Fat32? Why did you install Win2K, are you running a server of some kind? Are you sure that the CPU is actually running at 47 degrees? Because it sounds like overheating to me. Just because your heatsink is 47 degrees doesn't mean the CPU is running that cool, did you use a high quality thermal paste like arctic silver? Are you using a good heatink or the AMD supplied one.

I havn't got the latest Viper drivers but instead I'm using the latest detonator.
Got the latest via chipset drivers.
Windows is running at FAT32, I installed it cause it gives you alot more control over your own system than win98se and ME do.
It's windows 2000 professional and it's not running any type of server.
My CPU's temprature is 46 degrees after 2 hours UT according to the temp. sensor on my mobo.
Using a globalwin fop32-1 with an extra case fan pointed on that and the viper to keep them both cool (really helps!!).
At full load the PSU gets 50 degrees celcius at most.

Overal my system is rock stable as long as I'm not doing anything 3D, like unreal tournament.