Realistic Communication= a Field Radio

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MapFreak

DM-nickelbag$
Aug 16, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
I would like to suggest a military field radio that you could enter your commands into replacing the current floating menu that scrolls in from the left of the screen. It would have it's own sounds too complete with realistic static and squelch when transmitting and receiving and contacting your teammates. Hell, It would just be cool to see your online hand actually holding the radio itself.

Meat Sac

May 30, 2001
PDX
Visit site
What about having someone as a comms person? Doesn't the military have someone with the radio following the squad leader around?

That makes me think that air support could be called in as well. Think of the maps like vietnam or extreme prejudice with helicopters or jets with napalm come to aid support. That could be cool! maybe it wouldn't work but who knows.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
sounds like a plan, only one problem

this comms person is mainly for contact of the unit with whatever it needs to have contact with. IRL a squad as small as inf's won't split up that much as they do in inf.

-GAT-Rogue

Jul 22, 2001
Visit site
another problem is, almost no one works together, so who would have a radio and why?
map:EP
-[from the main bridge by the village] i need that radio! [echo]
-be there as soon as i get past the plane! [echo]
:D

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Because your other posts were either attacks or were simply posts to have the last word and i can't stand that.

Anyway in 286 they won't be moving that fast and there is no insentive to just run around and kill stuff. So it might have a chance further down along the road.

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Yet more useless FYI from SC.

Between a squad, the fireteam leaders will often have a handheld radio, such as the AN/PRC-68. Maximum range with a 3ft tape antenna is around a mile LOS. The squads Radio operator would have a AN/PRC-119A maybe 119F. Or in some places, if not so advanced they would have the old AN/PRC-77. Max range for either radio is around 3-5 miles with a three foot tape antenna. With the ten foot whip, it is concievable to get a range of up to 9-12 miles with the SINCGARS 119.

Cpt.Cypher

I Go By Cypher Now
Apr 7, 2001
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
Do individuals carry radios as well? If they do how about an option to have to acutally select the radio and then you can chat or send orders. Might be too realistic, but in my opinion it would be a nice feature.