PDA

View Full Version : U2 vs. PlanetSide

Tetris L
18th Aug 2001, 08:11 AM
There are two games that I'm looking forward to a lot currently, to be released at about the same time (Q1/Q2 2002): U2 and PlanetSide (http://www.station.sony.com/planetside). And I'm not sure what game I'll be playing more in the end.

For those of you who have been living under a rock for the past year, PlanetSide is an MMOFPS (Massive Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter) game, this means it is an FPS, but in a persistent world. Three empires are batteling for the control over several continents. And when've conquered an enemy base today and log off, the base will still be under your empire's control tomorrow when you log back in, unless the enemy has won it back.

Judging from the few screenshots and U engine tech demos that we've seen by now, the U2 engine seems slightly better for outdoor terrain, although PlanetSide doesn't look too shabby either:

http://www.station.sony.com/planetside/images_sshots/movie00005.jpg

http://www.station.sony.com/planetside/images_sshots/forest2.jpg

http://www.station.sony.com/planetside/images_sshots/movie00014.jpg

An important difference U2 and PS is that PS will be pay-per-play (approx. $10/month). The obvious downside: You have to pay.
The positive aspects about it: 1. Good quality servers. 2. The game will be moderated, i.e. admins will be present to take care of lamers and cheaters. 3. PPP will help to keep lamers, cheaters and bigmouth kiddies away from the game, as they tend to stick to games who are as cheat as they are themselves. ;)

Read through the description of the game on the PS website (http://www.station.sony.com/planetside). It all sounds very good to me. Frankly currently PlanetSide sounds more appealing to me than U2. Also stop by on the PS forums. A very nice place, and the PS dev team post there regulary. Duh, I wish I could say that about the U2 dev team. :hmm:

Okay, enough pimpin' PS for today. ;)

Law
18th Aug 2001, 09:11 AM
I had only seen a few screens of this game, but now that I've read the FAQ, I'm really looking forward to it.

Will you be able to store equipment such as weapons and vehicles?
Posted by Stomper
Yes. Players will have access to storage facilities where they can keep a cache of weapons and equipment for later use.

Taking over enemy bases, improving your character with implants and ranks, and strategic elements like the quote above make me want this game.

I really hope this is done right. But it looks like it's in good hands.

Buscemi
19th Aug 2001, 06:42 AM
I've also been keeping an eye on Planetside for a while, and I'm really looking forward to it. But I don't think you should Planetside up against U2, they're two games with totally different gameplay. Halo vs Planetside is a better comparison......(or maybe even Tribes 2......IMHO Planetside is Tribes 2 meeting Everquest)

PS: IMO Unreal2 looks much better then Planetside........

IntRed
19th Aug 2001, 07:15 AM
again, i do not pay to play, at least not online,
so they will loze quite a few gamerz, since they ask for money

Law
20th Aug 2001, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by TTRStryker8
They will also gain quite a few gamers who want to be able to play on fast servers where they don't have to worry about llamas and cheaters.

Tetris L
20th Aug 2001, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Buscemi
But I don't think you should Planetside up against U2, they're two games with totally different gameplay. Halo vs Planetside is a better comparison......(or maybe even Tribes 2......IMHO Planetside is Tribes 2 meeting Everquest)

You really can't compare PS with any other current FPS, because none of them is a persistent MMO game. (Cough ... don't tell me about WW2O, LOL). Halo isn't an MMO game either. Infact very little is known about Halos multiplayer part by now. The game that comes closes to what PS will play like is probably Tribes 2, yes (except for the stupid Jetpack, which won't be in PS, thank god). But the description of U2's XMP mode with the classes and technology also sounds very much like TFC meets Tribes. So I can very well compare PS with U2, just like I can compare it with T2 or Halo. PS will be a direct competitor to U2, especially for those gamers who focus on online multiplayer gaming.

PS: IMO Unreal2 looks much better then Planetside........
You judge that based on 2 outdoor screenshots and a few blurry tech demo videos? That's a bit hasty. You've hardly seen anything of U2 yet. Well ... in the end you're probably right, the U engine is superior to the PS engine, but like I said above, it's not mainly eyecandy that make me play a game, but a good gameplay.

Originally posted by TTRStryker8
So, your ISP is for free? ;)

Indeed, Verant could probably sell at least twice as many copies of the game if they wouldn't make it pay-per-play. But those would only be paying half as many money, so they won't necessarily make more money. Consider that Everquest is a big commercial success, although it is pay-per-play. There is definetly a big market of gamers who are willing to pay for a good quality online game with great after-sales-service. And I'm one of them. :)

Snipeo
25th Aug 2001, 09:24 PM
I think PlanetSide is more multiplayer based than U2. They will both have a place in our hearts, I expect :cool:

Deathwing
26th Aug 2001, 04:20 AM
It's a different type of game. You can't really compare. But I'd choose U2 just because I'm not paying 10 bucks a month to play a game that I already payed 50 bucks for.

Machismo
26th Aug 2001, 07:33 AM
i cant see myself paying for it too. but if it rocks big time who knows ...........

Law
27th Aug 2001, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Snipeo
I think PlanetSide is more multiplayer based than U2. They will both have a place in our hearts, I expect :cool:

I'm just worried that I won't have enough time for both games. Oh well, a gamer can have bigger problems.

Tetris L
11th Oct 2001, 04:58 PM
It seems that after yesterday's announcement (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2817288,00.html) that PS may be released as late as Q1 2003 or even worse "when it's done" ...

U2 is back in business.

Damn, I'm pissed off about PS now.

FrogLeggs
12th Oct 2001, 06:21 AM
Well Planetside will probable be out later than q1 2003. since dave G has joined the team , beready for a major overhaul of game play. as some of you might know he was the big man @ dynamix who F%%%%D up tribes 2 !!! :mad: so I would say dont even get your hopes up ..

FrogLeggs

[IsP]KaRnAgE
12th Oct 2001, 06:06 PM
he didnt really mess up Tribes on purpose, it was rushed like 6 months early.

lceman
28th Oct 2001, 03:43 PM
Planetside should be awesome, but so will Unreal 2. U2 for single player, mods, and quick multiplayer fixes, planetside for shooting away 10s of hours without realising it.

You can hardly back up the claim that PPP will cause the game to fail. These MMO games couldn't be more popular at the moment. Of course, unless I get a fast net connection sometime soon, I won't be buying Planetside. :(

grimstar
29th Oct 2001, 02:35 AM
Im still not too sure about PlanetSide.

Before i even think about buying a copy, i want a PlanetSide server here in Australia. :(

Barcode#09123111
9th Nov 2001, 06:19 PM
Well i have seen planetside screenies.. Ppl will have a good choice pf games wont they! Well since i am a Unreal series fr33k. I will stick with Unreal 2 and unreal warfare

Major-Lee-High
14th Nov 2001, 04:04 AM
I will get U2 no matter what!

Ive spent to much time learning ut engines gammin and coding stuff to goto a new gaem and start learning again!! I still dont know jack either!!!

I will get PS most likely! Its a huge scale FPS game (my fav games) and if they do it right it will be a big hit!!

I Dowloaded Anarchy Online the other day (no not warez) off their site for the 7 day pay before you play deal they got!

I like the main idea, huge huge huge map area, ongoing story (4 years to complete :O) and the special monsters or caves or whatever they do... but they really messed it up pretty bad, they released it to early of course, lots of players have gotten pretty bored fast........ hopefully the PS guys dont rush it out and take some time for it!!

One thing about pay per play though (if ps is going to do this, not pay, i mean, but have a ongoing story) is that they usually have alot of people working full time just online Mod etc! And ongoing story lines and huge updates, not patches and small addons, but big updates! You cant really pay for all that with just the box prices!! They are paying some of these guys 15 - however much a HOUR!! We pay 10 a month, thats less than an hours work from one guy a month! Maybe a good texture, or quick 2d sketch from one of them! Plus game like that usually dont allow users to start servers so they have alot of 2000 or whatever dollar servers! Plus bandwith!! And they still need to make a profit!!

n2~WrrR
14th Nov 2001, 04:34 AM
I truely hate.. PPP.. All these companies makin to pay b4 u play. I mean you buy the game for what 40$-50$ then u have to pay to play. or you really want to play a game, and you find out that its a PPP. For example: I wanted to get Motorcity Online i get the game and at the very bottom it says 10$ a month to buy the time ..that is utter B.S.. i also wanted to get Anarchy Online. I really like the look of the game. It's a magical community type game. If games keep goin like this.. There is no friggin way I will be able to play a game again. It will be a sad day in GAMERS lives when all games to play online will need to be pay to play.

Major-Lee-High
14th Nov 2001, 04:41 AM
:D anarchy online sux....... its ok but.......

I can see why they have PPP games though, like i said above there is a actuall reason, and if you want to get that kind of ongoing story thats the price!

One thing PPP Games need to do is allow peeps to download them!! Skipping the box price all together! This would IMHO draw more players! Bad for 56kers though! Maybee have a low price for the disk for 56kers, like 15 bux plus shiping!

That would also save them some money, all those boxes and cds to make :O, instead they just give you a link :D

AO has that 7 day play b4 you pay thing that is pretty cool, downloading a 600 meg game then playing it then deciding it sux saved me 50 bux!

Major-Lee-High
14th Nov 2001, 06:46 AM
Me likes PS so far!

Nice Read on Why We PPP!!! READ IT!! (http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/planetside/Forum2/HTML/000583.html)

pine
14th Nov 2001, 09:40 AM
It looks like PS is a game that could grab me by the short and curlies and refuse to let go. I probably won't get it because I don't want to lose such very large portions of my life and probably mess up my grades as well ;).

Major-Lee-High
15th Nov 2001, 02:56 AM
Thats exactly why i try to stay away from MMORPGs!!!

I tried Anarchy online because i have no job ATM and my mom said i could just do that 7 day trial then cancell it :O

I only used about 3 days, canceleed it earlier! Not good game....

PS though, i can see me doing that for ever!

MattMacD
17th Nov 2001, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Major-Lee-High
One thing PPP Games need to do is allow peeps to download them!! Skipping the box price all together! This would IMHO draw more players! Bad for 56kers though! Maybee have a low price for the disk for 56kers, like 15 bux plus shiping!

That would also save them some money, all those boxes and cds to make :O, instead they just give you a link :DThat would totally depend on the situation... most would need a publisher to "sponsor" them... and the publishers would want a boxed version at a certain price.

Master_Blaster[MASTER
17th Nov 2001, 08:50 AM
the game sounds really good but i don't have the oney to pay for it :(

Major-Lee-High
17th Nov 2001, 11:55 AM
Yeah ther would still need to be boxes for the 56k/slow speed connections, i dled Ao in 2 hours, 640 megs i think!

And still if i wanted it i would have to pay the 29.99 box fee and then teh monthly!!

There should at least be sites that allow you to buy games then dl them!! At cheaper prices! Thats a good idea for a site.... hmm...

And yeah, i have no money atm, but i will find some dammed money for that!! 2003 is a ways off!

Fisherman's Friend
21st Nov 2001, 01:41 AM
Bah, since Dave Georgson (sp?) took over PS it sux0rs. :mad:
They havn't published any new in-game screenies for like 1/2 year or so. I think PS is dead. Verant probably switched all manpower over to StarWars Galaxies, which shows off new stuff every week. :(