PDA

View Full Version : UW last Iteration?

Machismo
16th Aug 2001, 12:53 PM
Ok will UW be the last and final iteration of the Unreal Engine.

Wh0racle
16th Aug 2001, 01:48 PM
nobody knows that now. probably not even epic....

ravenus
16th Aug 2001, 02:40 PM
If you mean the unreal engine from a technical POV I think its already different since Sweeney in an ages-back voodooextreme interview said that the renderer for the Warfare (v600 onwards) version of the Unreal technology (which as you already know powers U2, UC and ta-da, UW) is brand-new and not merely an extended version of the original graphics coding. The differences in the final version will possibly rival and exceed the difference between say the Q2 and Q3A engine.
Some of the differences are already apparent:
1. Need for a T&L card indicates massive difference in how the engine delegates tasks to the hardware.
2. Terrain shots indicate a much more beefed-up renderer with a much higher texture memory
3. Lack of native glide support - only openGL and D3D atleast in the initial release. This is another big difference since the original Unreal was a glide only until they rigged up the d3d patches.
The unreal technology as it perhaps should be called as opposed to the concept of a fixed engine is designed in a modular format in which individual components like graphics, sound, physics, AI, editor, networking etc can be individually taken out and replaced and eventually the entire code for future versions of the technology will be much different from its debut in 1998. Whether it will still be referred to as an Unreal product in official terms will of course depend on how much Epic wants to piggy-back on the success of the franchise. I definitely think they'd want to.

Machismo
16th Aug 2001, 03:39 PM
Interesting. Maybe this is why Epic has registered unreal3.com and unreal4.com. A little sidtrack here I mean isnt everone getting sick of these sequels - seems like every game out there has sequels. Well how come id makes a new engine everytime (or so those lamers claim :p ).

hal
17th Aug 2001, 07:35 AM
I'm not getting tired of sequels as long as they are well made.

Id makes new engines with every game because they don't build modular engines the way that Epic does.

ravenus
17th Aug 2001, 12:26 PM
I agree with MAchismo's sequels rant, but this is mainly due a lot to the way we buy games/see movies. We always look for sequels or extensions because we sort of tend look for familiar elements rather than new ones. This is why innovative efforts like System Shock and Deus Ex take time to generate their audiences.

Tetris L
18th Aug 2001, 10:43 AM
No, unless Epic go bankrupt (which there is no indication of by now), UW definetly won't be the last iteration of the U engine. Maybe Epic in the end will totally focus on developing the engine and let other companies make games with their engine, but even then I'm pretty sure we'll see Unreal 5 some day.

As for sequels: If you've read through the U2 description you should have realized that U2 has about as much to do with U1 as beer has with wine. They are both FPS and there is a skaarj in both; but that's about it. :hmm:

ravenus
18th Aug 2001, 12:19 PM
Actually the point is
when a game is developed as a sequel it carries with it the baggage of its predecessor in terms of what the gamers expect from it regardless of to what extent it is derivative.
With a new game altogether, this baggage can be unloaded and the developers can be more free in terms of their thinking in what fits in with the new world that they are designing.
Alas it also means more marketing to sell the concept is required since it will not have the advantage of a previous known name.
Hence the glut of sequels. Tis a vicious circle here.

Machismo
20th Aug 2001, 02:36 AM
Actually the point is
when a game is developed as a sequel it carries with it the baggage of its predecessor in terms of what the gamers expect from it regardless of to what extent it is derivative.
With a new game altogether, this baggage can be unloaded and the developers can be more free in terms of their thinking in what fits in with the new world that they are designing.

Exactly it seems like theres someone already peeping over your shoulders dictating what should be done - will fans kill us if we screw their fav weapon up????, etc. etc.

But -The-Tetris-L- has a point here:

As for sequels: If you've read through the U2 description you should have realized that U2 has about as much to do with U1 as beer has with wine. They are both FPS and there is a skaarj in both; but that's about it

Yup that about sums it up

:D

Snipeo
25th Aug 2001, 10:20 PM
Unreal Warfare is so far off... dang, I dont wanna think ahead of that, it hurts my head ;)

Machismo
26th Aug 2001, 04:29 AM
The point was the unreal engine is fantastic (I was mainly thinking about UnrealEd2 actually) if if epic goes about creating a brand new engine they would be outta commission for a loooooo ng time.

PS: i see that snipeo has been busy :D

ravenus
26th Aug 2001, 11:48 AM
Oh yeah, Snipeo's been hitting the forums with a vengeance. Only I wish he'd have something more significant to say other than the fact that he's eager to play U2. Who isn't...Oh yeah the Shock Rifle junkies.
Any offense taken by persons real or imaginary is purely coincidental :p

ravenus
26th Aug 2001, 11:52 AM
Ah friend Machismo I see you have been busy posting as well :)

IntRed
27th Aug 2001, 07:28 AM
not sure about this one
when doom 3 comes out, epic will have a hard time.
Perhaps they could implent advanced shadows and lightening in the engine, but still doom 3 engine is more optimised then the unreal one on that part.
But who knows, perhaps the doom 3 engine will fail on another part, we'll have to wait and see

Machismo
27th Aug 2001, 09:23 AM
U know the easiest way for epic not to have any probs whatsoever is if they just provide more support to the modders and the comm. like Valve. Then no matter what ya could recover all production costs cause if the game co. provides more support thats just going to bring in a lot more ppl.

:hmm: Valve sometime back invited comm. members to their office ...................................... just a thought :p

ravenus
27th Aug 2001, 10:43 AM
TTRStryker8,
U2 will be done a long way before Doom3 so there's no competition there. As for UW, it will have the kind of large-scale colorful mouth-watering arenas that MP junkies will drool over as opposed to the shadowy nightmare-adventure aspects of Doom3 which will essentially be the SP king of its time.

Machismo
27th Aug 2001, 10:53 AM
Give Mesa.unr anytime ........................ YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zaccix
31st Aug 2001, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Machismo
Interesting. Maybe this is why Epic has registered unreal3.com and unreal4.com.
Companies register domains speculatively all the time, although had Epic not registered unrealwarfare.com, we probably wouldn't have heard of the game so soon.

I don't think that UW will be the last we see of the Unreal Engine. Besides, just because it's called the "Unreal Engine" doesn't mean that only Unreal games can be produced with it :)