PDA

View Full Version : Concerns about the .exe installer for 2.86

rgreene
16th Aug 2001, 04:42 AM
Hey guys, just wanted to raise a few concerns about the .exe install option for the upcomming release of 2.86.

I feel that most newbies will prefer the .exe option, because it would appear to be more friendly (people would think of setup.exe before setup.umod), and because of this the installation should be as smooth as possible. I fear that if people have to go into ini files people will get the impression that INF isn't as polished and solid as it truly is, or worse: people might be scared away entirely.

I very badly want this mod to succede, and as such do not want either option to happen.

From my own experience, I know that it would not take long at all to write a bit of code that would search out the proper package directories and automatically update the ini file for you. (Or give you a list of the diffrent UT installations that are available, should you have more than 1).

I really hope the team takes a little extra time to implement this. It's a very small amount of code, and will give us alot of mileage.

If nobody on the team wants to implement this, I would be happy to, however it almost seems sily to have a second program to run to finish the installation.

I beg of you Beppo, please go the extra mile. Make this the best damn release of INF yet!

/\l!eN[RIP]
16th Aug 2001, 05:24 AM
How the hell can you get an inpression of a game by looking into its .ini files????:confused::confused::confused:

rgreene
16th Aug 2001, 05:34 AM
If you are installing a game you don't want to have to go through the hassle of editing ini files. It just isn't professional.

A_Rimmerlister
16th Aug 2001, 06:26 AM
I agree, if there is anything that can give a bad/unproffesional impression it is the install-procedure. Especially *any* manual editing or other additional commands a user has to perform before he/she can actually run the program.

Never forget that not every user is used to doing stuff themselves, because Windows has managed to hide a lot of this kind of stuff from the average user ...

A lot of UT-players are unlikely to be familiar with the ini-files, so they're probably "afraid" to edit those files themselves. You never know what happens if you make a mistake ...

/\l!eN[RIP]
16th Aug 2001, 08:37 AM
You must be a VERY average-average-averageaverage-averageaverageaverage user if you cant edit an .ini
And it isnt that unprofessional, altough I have to admit it would be cleaner to put the whole process into the intallation...

M00ndancer
16th Aug 2001, 08:43 AM
Probobly a silly one... but here it goes...

Where would one place the awesome mutators like infmonsters?
In the inf/system or in unrealturnament/system ?

A_Rimmerlister
16th Aug 2001, 09:04 AM
There are no silly questions, just silly people ;)

I think it will be 'Infiltration/System' ... (but that's just a wild guess ;) )

{MUF}Dakin
16th Aug 2001, 10:18 AM
its the UnrealTournament/System directory :)

striderteen
16th Aug 2001, 11:57 AM
/UnrealTournament/System

I think they should also have an all-in-one installer that installs both the game and the full map set. It would be a LOT more convenient for people with broadband, who could download the one big file instead of three or four medium-sized ones.

robrob
16th Aug 2001, 12:08 PM
I really want to share this mod with people but this is going to make it tough. While I agree editing the ini is dead simple, it is not something a person who has purchased UT just to play INF should have to deal with.

I hate to bring this up but the SF team has created a package that install easily and looks professional. And they have done so on the last 2 builds. Hell even the TO team install looks good although was not as intuitive as SF.

I dont think is has to be either or.

Realase the standard UMOD first and follow with the full exe.

rgreene
16th Aug 2001, 01:13 PM
That's my point. It's not that they are too stupid to do it, but they shouldn't HAVE to do it. The amount of code it takes to find a file or directory is very, very small and will add a whole lot to help the fit and finish of this mod.

C'mon team, don't drop the ball when you are on the home stretch...

Beppo
16th Aug 2001, 02:53 PM
Hi, before everything goes too far...

The planned Setup.exe install is almost the same thing as if ya install UT from your legal CD. Infiltration will be installed into an own directory structure and will have nothing to do with UT then.
The only problem Infiltration has is the fact that we can not provide ya the UT-engine files needed to actually be able to play INF directly. So we have two choices:

#1 - give ya a list of files ya have to copy manually from your UT installation
#2 - let ya edit our ini file to "point" to these files in your current UT install

well to include all files needed within our install would be the easiest way of course, but we do not have the rights to spread the UT engine... we aren't a licensee...

so, #1 will be good then too. But giving ya this list of files is very close to giving ya the ability to run INF or any other mod out there without UT installed. Then ya would be able to simply burn the result on a CD and spread INF like it was a retail game. And this is simply prohibited.

so, #2 is the only legal way that's left - or copy ALL the UT files into our directory too (and this will not fit on any CD out there then, so no prob with spreading)...

another way would be to install Infiltration into your UT folder structure so that it will look like this

d:\unrealtournament\infiltration\...

I'm planning on adding this option to the setup-install, so our setup will change the needed paths within your ini files then...

so I hope that cleared things up a bit.

- Beppo

<P^R>Imperial
16th Aug 2001, 03:00 PM
Hey Beppo would it be possible for me to say copy and paste the needed engine files over to where I install Infiltration if I use the .exe file?

Beppo
16th Aug 2001, 03:03 PM
like said...

giving ya a list of needed files is just an inch before the whole thing gets illegal I guess...

rgreene
16th Aug 2001, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the response, its good to hear that you guys are aware of this and doing everything you can to make the installer as smooth as possible.

A_Rimmerlister
16th Aug 2001, 03:30 PM
A ha! I hadn't thought of that one ...
You're right (of course ;) ) :
by giving ppl the option to install Inf in a separate directory, you're very close to distributing it as a separate game and not as a modification for UT.
If you look at it from that point of view, then it's obvious the team can't provide this option.

Warren
16th Aug 2001, 04:20 PM
After debating it for a bit, it's obvious of course that the simplest method is the best method. The less confusion the better. It won't look as "slick" but by simply installing the setup EXE as a dir within Unreal Tournament, there is no need for INI editing. Just install and play. So the only emails I'll get now are from people who didn't RTFM or somehow missed their UT dir. Of course the other problem might be those who install UT on their machine and don't call it "UnrealTournament". In that case they should have enough common knowledge to edit the INI file.

Manual will be edited- yet another positive change to Infiltration due to a community stampede.. err outcry. :D

Beppo
16th Aug 2001, 04:35 PM
ya made a little mistake, Warren ;)

no need for renaming the UnrealTournament folder ... they only have to "find" it so that they install INF into it... the folder name is totally irrelevant

Warren
16th Aug 2001, 04:38 PM
duh- oh yeah. :p

::goes back to drawing with crayons::

LoTekK
16th Aug 2001, 04:42 PM
ya made a little mistake, Warren ;)

warren's not... infallible?

:D

/\l!eN[RIP]
16th Aug 2001, 04:47 PM
I dont mean to be irritating or something, but isnt it possible to inplement something like this into the install box:

1. Make option to install Inf into its own dir.
2. Enter new Infiltration dir.
3. Make option to Search for/Enter your current Unreal Tournament dir.
4. Let the Installer edit your infiltration .ini according to the dir Unreal Tournament is installed in.
5-1000. Play Inf till you die of dehydration (doesnt have to be added)
(Almost excactly what rgreene suggested)

rgreene
16th Aug 2001, 06:09 PM
Alien: that was what I had originally envisioned when I made this post last night... and how I would like to see it. At least we got them thinking about it; and no doubt, they will come up with something that provides a good solution.

<P^R>Imperial
17th Aug 2001, 12:58 AM
Hmm well Im going to go with the umod install cause I dont see any real benifit with using the exe installer.

/\l!eN[RIP]
17th Aug 2001, 03:03 AM
Thats what I mean rgreene...I dont know why Beppo hasnt mentioned this in is explenation. It's the best way to get Inf in its own dir...Maybe I'm thinking to lightly about it?