Nineteen Eighty-Four as it Relates to Two-Thousand and One: A Minor Essay

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bad.Mojo

Commander in Chief o' the BMA
Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
Nineteen Eighty-Four, as written by Eric Arthur Blair under the pseudonym George Orwell, contains in itself a vicious, frightening example of life in the 2001st Anno Domini.

The principle of Newspeak, for example, is exemplified by our so-called "Political Correctness," both of which create new words, with entirely new meanings, rigidly confined to their definition, from apparently nothing, in an effort to avert supposed thought crimes. For example, "African-American," in its entirety, defines a black person or persons living within the United States. Its apparent reference to being 'an American of African descent' is laughable at best, especially when one considers the fact that most anthropologists agree all human life (that is, homo sapiens and ancestral links) originated in Africa. Erego, I, a white male, living in the North American country of Canada, am safely and easily (one would assume) classified as African-American -- I am American, continentally speaking (as one may define somebody as "European,") and of African descent. However, this principle is seemingly unapplicable to me, which is an excercise in the rigid definitions of Orwellian Newspeak.

Furthermore, the idea of a "thought crime" and the "thought police" is not so far fetched. One needs only to look at the "crime" of being a Communist in the McCarthy era, and to McCarthy and his Sub-Committee as the thought police, for this terrifying reality. It takes place not always necessarily overseas, but in Western culture as well -- as previously stated, the McCarthyism, of course, but also other examples, such as the inability of Catholics to practice their beliefs in Britain until the late 1800's, and the persecution thereof. In more recent terms, one may look to the Afghani Taliban, or the pseudo-Communist Maoists in China, for their persecution of certain thoughts (predominantly feminism and the cult of Falun Gong, respectively.) Such "thought crimes" are evidently abundant, and to link to the previous paragraph -- the issue of being "non-politically correct" (on the issue of political correctness: PC was created as a way to offend nobody -- but the notion of PC offends me, thus rendering PC a hypocritical paradox, and therefore a non-entity, though I digress)... the issue of being "un-PC" is a thought crime in and of itself, certainly punishable by political death in political arenas.

The Orwellian notion of an infallible, everlasting Big Brother is evident in the two-party system of the United States of America. Hardly a democracy, and more of what I term a "coin-flip dictatorship," this two party system puts a supposed institution of the presidency at the head of the Democrat and Replubican parties, similar to Big Brother as the head of The Party -- an indefatigable status symbol and figure head, almost infallible when it comes to matters such as war and economics. As such, we can investigate certain so-called 'Ministries' as well... Orwell's notion of the Ministry of Peace concerning itself with war would oft remind one, should they know to look, of the Department of Defense or the Department of National Defence (in Canada) -- these Departments concern themselves not with actually defending the country, but moreso with attacking other countries -- governmental newspeak and doublethink, omnipresent and ever ignored. Furthermore, Big Brother and The Party claim to be guardians of democracy, similar to the US's same claim, despite having a two-party system (as mentioned prior.)

<i>The Book</i>, Goldstein's book (written, in actuallity, by O'Brien and others) is comparable to The Black Panther's Coloring Book, a grossly anti-white pamphlet distributed in white communities, being both distributed and constructed, in actuallity, by the FBI's COINTELPRO. In fact, Goldstein's entire character could be compared to Trotsky and Marx, if one were Stalinist Soviet or American, respectively. Both Stalinist Soviet Unionist and United States propagandist grossly twisted these men's words, especially evidenced in Marx's supposed utterance of "religion is the opiate of the masses," a statement that, while entirely invented, and having its roots in a quite difference quote, has become entirely "truthful" in its common place use.

The Two Minute Hate could be found by anybody willing to look. It is, of course, obviously the news -- such figures as Osama bin Laden (for all we know, and most probably, an entirely fictional character cooked up by politicos to create a larger scandal to overshadow their own) fixate our attention on CNN and other such newscasts, focusing all our anger and hatred into them, instead of the governments which spur them. For example, during the Clinton/Lewinsky affair, Osama bin Laden suddenly became a household name, and the anger created by having a untrustable, lying president was focused entirely on this supposed terrorist.

The falsification of past facts one finds every day, should one not wish to deny one's self the truth: the Soviets airbrushed prominent figures out of photographs, and the United States, despite having completed none of its goals and objectives, and having signed a declaration of complete surrender, still claims to have won the war of 1812, and their "history" books attempt to validate this claim.

Of course, these proofs are few of many, and while not as absolute as Orwell's book (of course, Orwell wrote the book in a dystopian vision of all these things taken further and further, a vision of what the world would be like when we can and do ignore such obvious undertakings,) these are still disturbing.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
I would have to say that 1984 as well as Brave New World are two of the best depictions of negative-utopian, or rather dystopian society. Orwell wrote the book in 1949, the dawn of the nuclear age, and before Televisions were in every american home and place of work. So it seems that Orwells vision of a post-atomic world in which everyone was monitored 24/7 by an almost omnipotent governmental body was based on his own fears as an American after the close of the second world war and Russia's rise to power. Luckily, it seems, the cold war erupted and the society he pictured never formed. By the way, have you had a few minutes (literally) to read Animal Farm? Or for that matter, rent the movie?

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
If you want to know where todays society is going I wouldn't say 1984, I'd say A brave new world.
While also a dictatorship in all reality people do not notice because they are given all that they want. Which is basically what is going on ATM in the "western" world, give people sex and food and they will remain silent as that is what most people want, for they are but animals.

the rest is irrelevant.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
I'd have to agree. But eventually the people will rise to challenge the government due to new ideas and contradictions that emerge. Philosophical expansion is inevitable.

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
<i>So it seems that Orwells vision of a post-atomic world in which everyone was monitored 24/7 by an almost omnipotent governmental body was based on his own fears as an American after the close of the second world war and Russia's rise to power. </i>

Are you on drugs, Kibble? George Orwell was born Eric Arthur Blair in Motihari, Bengal, of British descent, in 1903. I don't see how that possibly makes him an American. Furthermore, his friend and historian Julian Symons noted that Orwell was markedly frustrated with "Americans" who used Nineteen Eighty-Four to denounce Soviet russia, when his book was equally based on American politics and policies and practices as it was on Soviet ones.

The book apparently flew over your head, something that would disappoint George to no end, I'm sure.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by The_Fur
If you want to know where todays society is going I wouldn't say 1984, I'd say A brave new world.
While also a dictatorship in all reality people do not notice because they are given all that they want. Which is basically what is going on ATM in the "western" world, give people sex and food and they will remain silent as that is what most people want, for they are but animals.

the rest is irrelevant.
'bread & games' is what the Romans knew would keep the population happy and docile ...

// as for 'newspeak' :
That's not just the politicians, the corporations & marketing people are good at "inventing" new words to make you think they're selling new stuff.
What those "little brothers" know about us is IMHO even scarier & more dangerous.
The government has (at least in theory) the wellfare of its citizens in mind. Those corporations have no such 'limits' ...

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
<i>The government has (at least in theory) the wellfare of its citizens in mind. Those corporations have no such 'limits' ...</i>

But that's Orwellian in and of itself, isn't it? Coupled with everything else I stated, the idea that the government "cares about its citizens," while in North America, poverty, starvation, joblessness, etc. are massive... nice way of showing they care. Reminds me a little of a Party. Can't remember their name...

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Furthermore, the idea of a "thought crime" and the "thought police" is not so far fetched. One needs only to look at the "crime" of being a Communist in the McCarthy era...

You don't even need to go back that far...just look at what is happening today in America.

There's a new tool of the oppressors ...it's called HATE CRIMES.

These new laws seek to punish criminals not only for their criminal acts...but additionally what they where thinking at the time of the crime.

If I murder someone, I'm charged with murder...however if a skinhead murders a Jew or black, he will additionally be charged with Hate. If I spray paint the word Fu<b></B>ck on the side of a building I am charged with vandalism...a relatively minor offense. However if the building is a synagogue and instead of Fu<b></b>ck I spray paint a swastika then I'm additionally charged with a hate crime... in other words what someone who spray paints a swastika on a synagogue is thinking is now a crime.

Now I don't defend spraying swastikas on synagogues or killing blacks and Jews (or anyone else for that matter) but these things are already illegal. We need to punish people for what they do...not what they think :rolleyes:

Last year in a suburb south of the city I live in, two school boys where talking in class and one boy asked the other to draw a confederate flag...the other boy did. The first boy took it to the teacher (prick) and the teacher hauled the kid to the principal who under zero-tolerence laws was required to expell the boy.

He didn't wave it in the face of any fellow black students (of which there where none in the room anyway) and yell racial slurs...he just drew a picture of a flag in school!

So how long until discussing history, politics and sociology in the classroom will become a crime if you speak out with any opinion that is listed as "hate".

Imagine a classroom discussion of current events and the topic is "slavery reparations" would it now be a hate crime to take a position against reparations? Or a discussion of Gay Rights...are Christian children who believe homosexuality is wrong going to be charged with hate crimes for openly discussing their side of the issue in a classroom discussion?

Also what about a discussion of the American Civil War...What if you write a paper defending the south's right to succeed (which I believe they had a right to do) would you then be expelled for supporting the slave owning south?

Zero tolerance against guns and weapons has already seen several students expelled for bringing "weapons" to school...weapons like a grade school boy who brought his GI Joe to school for show-and-tell...GI Joe has a tiny little plastic handgun in his hand. Under zero tolerance laws the boy was expelled. Or a highschool girl (honor student who had NEVER been in trouble) who's family had recently moved...during the move a kitchen knife fell out of the box it was in and ended up under the seat of her car. Someone saw it and reported her. When found by school security she was expelled .

Also a High School student was assigned to write a "scary story". He wrote about a school shooting and was promptly expelled.

How long until defending the 2nd Amendment will be a crime in schools (I almost wish I was in High School again so I could write a defense of the 2nd Amendment...quoting Jefferson by saying "...and what country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms...The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants", then when I'm expelled I could go grab my lawyer and make some noise).

How long until disagreeing with the government is considered a Hate Crime?

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Zundfolge, I could not have said it better. Thanks. BTW, that is one of the best damn quotes of Jefferson available. Sometimes I wonder if there really might be something behind the anti-gun lobby. Either that, or, I been spending to much time reading Rogue Leaders posts.:D

MoNDoGuY

Groin grabbingly good!
Apr 5, 2001
CANADA!!!!!
ghost.clanpages.com
The stuff you mention Zund get's me REALLY ANGRY!!:mad:

Society has peaked and is in a downward spiral fast! I can just feel the day comming where I can't play INF because it "promotes violence".

Those 2 books you guys have mentioned are 1984 and A brave new World correct? I'm going to pick these up as soon as possible!

playing the name game :p

as humans in general. we run arround and name things. tree, dog, ant, cat, house, ect.

but you get into that problem of naming diffrent people, fat, tall short, skinny, black, white, asian, hispanic. dogs and cats don't mind what they are called, mostly becasue they have no real way to object. :hmm: however, people do.

so we have to play the name game.

negro? black? african-american?
white? anglo-saxon?
mexican? hispanic? Latin-american?
chinese? asian? pacific-islander?
redmen? indian? native-american?
middle-eastren? aribic?

fat, heavy-set, obese
skinny, under-weight

cripple, handicaped, diffrently-abled
blind, seeing impared
deaf, hearing imapred

idiot, retarded, mentaly challenged
slow, remedial

when if comes to people, you have to match what the majority wants to be called. unlike other things. peoples additudes to names change. Negro used to be a accepted name for a black/african-american person.

with my most of the people I know if I describe him as "that black guy" I don't feel like I'm hurting him, I just classified him so he can be picked out of a group. like the fat guy with brown hair and glasses (me). or the big white guy(friend greg). or the tall black guy with glasses (friend robert).

you gotta roll with the punches that socity throws at you. and swing back at the ones that peeve you off.

this stuff about "big brother" and "names" does not worry me :)
come on! watch me! I'll dance my fat naked ass for ya too :D

rember at one time people thought women voting was the end of the world :)

Last edited:
Its not the govrenmnet also :)

its big bussiness :) I know cammeras in downtown Houston that are owned by ENRON(and on an on), and (un)RELIANT energy.

also spyware in ads and software :eek:

every one wants more info on you :) and they can get it thanks to the net, and small cammeras :p

powred by:
rrlogo.gif

S P Q R

is not really here.
Jul 19, 2001
Boston, MA
Mojo and Zund, I see your respective points. The similarities between <i>1984, Brave New World</i> and the present day are striking--and quite frightening.

However, as Orwell and Huxely suggest in their writing and is also evident in current events (your ability to point out what is wrong with society notwithstanding), the contrapositive is also true: Those under the thumb of the tyrannical system are always freer than the ruler. The fact that you and others recognize the oppression (and repression) of the given system and are able to give voice to your objections means that you are able to work outside of the system which is inflicted upon you. Moreover, as Hegel suggests in situations like these, the subject or dominated is therefore always significantly better off than the ruler, as s/he is able to escape the system in action, thought, etc. The oppressor remains trapped by his/her inability to see beyond the limits of his/her own actions against the oppressed.

It is cold comfort. Yet, for me, it is also a liberating thought: I understand what is being done when my right to think whatever I want is taken away. I understand it, and I can act against it. The government will never be able to take away my ability to fight against things such as the mind control of Political Correctness. So long as I see and remain aware of what is going on, I am free to act in the opposite manner.

...sorry to bring up such an outrageously philosophical point. I am just totally obsessed with Hegel... :)

Bad.Mojo

Mar 17, 2000
Ottawa, Ontario
Those are brilliant points Zund and Rogue... I can't believe I completely forgot to mention them.

To elaborate further on your comments, Zund, first off, in the act of committing a crime, even spray painting the word "Fu<i></i>ck," isn't enough anti-social hatred involved? Doesn't one do the act of vandalism solely to illicit anger and hatred from others? Doesn't one commit murder out of hate and anger? Even if they're hired, they were hired because somebody hated and was angry with that person. The "hate crime" system is completely superficial. In Canada, it is illegal to distribute hate propaganda. I find this a complete affront to free speech, because, again, where the hell does this all stop? How much is hate "hate"? As you mentioned, "Christianity" is "hateful" towards homosexuality. This is further compounded by a recent ruling in Canada that says that the Bible is hate literature for gays. Now, I understand illegal solicitation (that is, sending unwanted, undemanded mail to person being illegal -- my house is MY property, I decide what comes in to and out of it) but ruling that any biblical message in a public place or forum as illegal = gay bashing is friggin' stupid. I'm a Catholic, and a pretty bad Catholic at that (I certainly accept the ten commandmants, and I believe in the golden rule, but I recognize the Bible was written by men, and, as Christ himself said, full of falsities) but a certain Christian truth dictates that you should "love the sinner" -- even <i>if</i>, for the sake of arguement, one considers homosexuality a sin, that makes it a "love crime," does it not? I digress, I think my point is sufficiently illustrated.

Rogue raises another good point. We've begun to accept camera monitoring. While cameras in public institutions for safety (ie: banks, convenience stores, etc.) are understandable, especially since those institutions are private, what I cannot grasp is this "red light" monitoring. It is my, our, tax dollars that pay for these roads -- they are public roads, they belong to ALL people. Which means they are, in a sense, privately owned, and this is no more different than shoving a camera directly into my room. Certain people in the United Kingdom actually have police cameras looking <i>into</i> their flats. A little while longer, and it won't just looking into them, it will be physically located in them.

Another aspect of 1984, and one mentioned only briefly, is the complete innability of anybody other than military and law enforcement to acquire firearms -- does this sound incredibly familiar to anybody? I think it requires no further elaboration.

While I think I understand your point, SPQR, its almost vapid to suggest the ruler is more opressed than the ruled -- in 1984, for example, O'Brien has more priviledges than Smith, yet is kept under the same tyrannical thumb -- Indeed, he can turn off his Telescreen for minutes at a time. Or maybe you mean the proles? But they aren't ruled, they're ignored. They aren't even considered cheap labour by The Party.

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
A bit of news on electronic monitering.

The UK seems to be adding over a thousand new cameras now, and the US Justice Department has spent $8 million in tax payer money to develop software that can identify a person on camera automatically. Thats even worse than red light cameras because it can be used to specifically target people that the government doesn't like, and they can be tracked everywhere they go.

S P Q R

is not really here.
Jul 19, 2001
Boston, MA
I was speaking in terms of thought and potential (the expanded options in self-actualization, etc.), not material or experiential reality Mojo. I guess my point was lost. Oh well.