I just dropped $450 on college books

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
$90 for a freakin unix book :eek:

but I did pick up all the new ADnD books for 19.95 each (I had sold all of my ADnD books when i was 16 so its a happy recovery, though they have changed the rules some)

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
I didn't know people still played D&D these days...good luck in school dude.I am still going to have to pay full price for any books when I go back,even though I get 90% tuition.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
College books are totally outrageous. A Unix book probably would be on the more expensive side (by the way, you're a STUD for learning Unix :) ).

My Logic 102 book was an unbelievable ripoff; $72 for like a 200-page book on a subject doesn't even require a book. Sheesh.:rolleyes:

Gir

Offensive mode!
Apr 23, 2000
Peking Eend.
Visit site
Got me a list for next years University books as well. I'm smart enough not to buy everything right away. I'll have a look in it the library by the time those classes start. Then, if I think it's worth the money, I buy it. One thing you have to be carefull about are readers. In my first year I bought this huge pile of readers. Some were actually about how to use windows or word. Never should've bought those. If you need to buy a reader always check if you really need it. Don't care about what the book list says. Readers are just cheap excuses for books (mostly, they just contain copied pages of certain pages of those books). In other words, they're often just total crap.

Last edited:

Cannon_Fodder

All this practice and still getting no better
May 24, 2000
I had a massive shock when I went on an exchange from a UK university to a New York State College. Over here we can pick and choose what books we want to buy, we get given a list with the books actually on. Not knowing how things worked in the States I went to the second hand place that was supposedly cheaper, but it wasn't like a proper bookshop - you couldn't pick your own books, you had to go to a desk and give them your course list.

After spending no more than $200 for the previous three semesters I had to pay $350 for FOUR courses!! And these were second hand!!! Its bad enough that US colleges cost so much without students getting ripped off for books that they have to have. Hardback books are one of the few things in America that are more expensive than the UK.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
I hear the new AD&D books are cool and that the 4th editon rules are pretty cool and more easy to follow.

I been thinking about getting the 4th editon books myself.

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
Rules to live by

1. Buy Used Books
2. Buy used Books that have been used in classes taught by the same Proffessor you have.
3. Buy those books ALREADY highlited to save youreself the trouble.
4. Bonus points for margrin notes