Witka's Wadi Remix

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

..::nothing::..

Aug 3, 2001
www.sub7th.com
I've always thought that Witka's had the potential to be a really cool level, it just had some bad texturing.

So I've gone and started making new textures for it. Some new models to.

I just finished up the Hummer and the Abrahms, figured I'd see what you guys thought.

This is my first shot at making textures, first time modelling in UnrealED too, what a pain in the arse!

I've got some pretty good looking tree's on the way too, I'll post em when I'm finished.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
i hope you asked jaymian about this...?
the textures of the vehicles look really cool, good work, but align those mountain textures

Aug 3, 2001
www.sub7th.com
Haven't asked yet but that's because I didn't plan on releasing it.
I was just doing this for my own learning.

If it still works after I'm done hacking it to pieces I might ask him if he doesn't mind me releasing it.
But right now it's got about 3-4 BSP holes that I can't figure out how to get rid of. :(

Also I can't figure out how to make a model without the side panels breaking up into like 12-13 polys, annoying as fizznuk!

Thanks for the great responses though.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Ha

I'd never think to see this in the forums. Definately weird. Yeah, Witka's Wadi was never supposed to be pretty. I took pencil shots of the vehicles online, and just drew over them. My first attempt at making my own textures.

But this thing is, it doesn't look like Witka's Wadi. Witka's Wadi is a wadi in the mohave desert, on Ft Irwin. Ft Irwin is a training facitity, and uses old ass veitnam vehicles to go up against America's finest. Witka's Wadi was where we, with our crappy veitnam vehicles, would set up camp. So since it really doesn't look like Witka's Wadi, you should prolly rename it to you liking, giving some credit to the original in the Readme.

BSP errors were a constant pain in the arse while making this map. It's mosly do to the TerraEdit. Here's a few tips, that I learned recently, and didn't know back then. Make all the vehicle brushes, and any other standalone brushes, semisolid. This way, they won't cut the bsp, and should calm the BSP gods. You also need to pay close attention to the terrain. I always got these areas that acted like invisable collision hulls. I fixed them by careful adjustments with the bsp slide bars. Somebody else out there decided my map needed tunnels, and their version had those inv. coll. hulls everywhere.

Since the map is looking nice, I'd say fix the bsp errors, rename it, and release it. I was always concidering redoing that map, but I didn't want to redo all those textures. It took me weeks to do those crappy ones. I'd rather just make a new map. Good luck, and I hope you get those bsp erros fixed.
Jaymian

I am the biggest Witkas Wadi fan ever (maybe, besides J himself) so if this did get released it would certainly NOT be WW. Someone else already tried that and added some tunnels and put it online without clearing it with the author (I asked him and he said :I couldnt find him....durrr) Regardless of whether any changes would enhance or detract from the online gameplay its grossly presumptous to assume that the mapper didnt have specific reasons to make a map and release it exactly the way it is. While I would love to see more HUGE maps that one can enjoy for many hours of non-cqb tactical movement and sniping dont do i at the expense of someone elses labor. Lets hope this aspiring mapper does not get discouraged and instead focuses on creating his own unique environment. I like the new textures d00d btw.....but c'mon guys give the ppl who went before you their mad props. They will more than likely provide you with generous assistance in return.

Aug 3, 2001
www.sub7th.com
Oh hell yeah, I think it's compliment enough to say that I dont want this map to die, this is still one of my favorites.

I just thought it would be cool to give it a different theme.
Now that I know the history of witka's I'll give it a different name if I fix it.

Thanks for the tips too Jaymian, I still dont even know what the hell a BSP slider is though, like I said I just started this like a couple weeks ago, my first map blew ass so I gave up and decided to start making textures for one of my favorites.

If I do get it fixed of course I'll give credit.

That said here's some shots of the new tree's I'm working on, I'll only use 2 variations in the map, the pine tree and one other.

Aug 3, 2001
www.sub7th.com
Or this one

oak.jpg

and then here's the willow tree but I probably wont use this one

willow.jpg

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Looking good

I hope everything works out. If you need anything, just ask. There's a tab called build options, and there's all kinds of goods in there, including two slide bars. One says balance tree, and the other says portals cut all. You need to be careful and only make slight adjustmants, then build, and see what happpens. It's a long boring process. If you get everything where you want it, and still can't fix the bsp, I could give it a try. I don't remember the settings, but with all the changes, they'd be different anyways. Good luck,
Jaymian

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Originally posted by ..::nothing::..
Also I can't figure out how to make a model without the side panels breaking up into like 12-13 polys

deintersect the whole model, add the deintersected one and merge the polys

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
I was looking through some old military pics and found a shot of Witka's Wadi. Yeah, there's a big tank in the way, but I think you get the idea that it was just desert. Woo Hoo, I LOVE the army.
Jaymain

Wadi.jpg