Possible for deforming terrain?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wild_Falcon

The Quiet Dude™
Aug 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Visit site
After playing the Red Faction demo, I was thinking about the possibility of the Unreal engine to support deformable terrain through coding. Can someone tell me if this is possible at all (even if developers can only do it):

When a projectile hits a surface, one of a few custom brushes for that projectile is "subtracted" from the map, leaving a hole (rocket hits wall, brush is subtracted right as the rocket hits the wall), and if so,

Can the engine possibly be programmed, so that it can determine when an add brush is cut from another add brush BY a subtract brush, so it falls with a set amount of gravity?

Please don't flame me for this, since I don't work a lot with the engine itself, or coding.

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
U2 will support real-time deformations?!?! :eek: I heard that it will also have real time lighting, and support 100 times the polycount, and have height-map generated terrain, and do my laundry for me, and fly, and...

Seriously, what can this engine NOT do?

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
You know how to script? You'll need to learn, it'll take a HELL of a LOT of lines of code to get that to work, you have to make it remove a piece of solid geometry from BSP, which also involves CSG, a pain to mess with in scripting.

Not to mention that if it did deform it you might get BSP errors and other problems, best to wait for Unreal2 to come out, the UT engine isn't powerful enough to do that ATM.

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
oh no, not that again
my guess is 450 min
but it will work on medium to high end machines, since they are going to have support for older cards, don't worry!