Novice who needs a little advice

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nashgatr

Jan 24, 2000
Chicago, IL, USA
Visit site
Greetings. The reason for my post is I'm literally getting hammerred playing Unreal multiplayer and need some tips as to what I might be doing wrong. I believe I have at least average hand-eye coordination and there should be no reason for my pathetic showings against other players. I've been at this game for over two months now and will end up with 5-7 kills per session and spend most of my time re-spawning. It seems as if other players are literally dancing all around me having their way with me before I can get a more than one or two shots away. I'm using just a plain mouse to fire with and the arrow keys to move. Should I be using some type of joystick?

My system specs are an AMD K6-2 400 Mhz processor with 128 Mb Sdram and an 8Mg ATI Rage Pro video card. I'm running no significant background programs and have already read the tips on how to speed up the game.

Does this game literally have that sharp of a learning curve or am I technologically deficient? If anybody knows I figure it would be the people on this board.

Thanks in advance.

drumber

Nov 10, 1999
North Hollywood, Ca., USA
I'm no great player but here's some things that helped my game a lot.

Load up an empty map and practice strafing, jumping, moving forward and backward while keeping the crosshair on and shooting at an object.

Try some games using just the impact hammer. Helps you focus on dodging while approaching your opponents.

Play some instagib matches. Only the dead on shots kill in that and it helps you focus on more precise aiming.

I assume you use always mouselook, but if not start and take however long it takes to get used to it.

After practicing that stuff for awhile I went from the bottom of the list to the upper half in most cases. I even win games from time to time. Hope that helps some /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Callisto

Adept
Jan 13, 2000
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Here are a few of my tips (not in any particular order):

1. Learn the maps - where weapons and ammo are and how to get from place to place

2. Always keep moving - its hard to aim at first while moving but keep practicing shooting while running

3. Turn down viewbob - that will keep crosshairs steady while running

4. Switch weapons for each location and situation - for example underwater and flak don't mix

5. Know when a retreat is in order - once you start a battle you do not always have to stay until someone is dead

6. Find a server with a lower ping

7. Listen - this is one of the most important IMO, by learning the sounds items make you can tell where the other players are and the direction they are heading

8. Get a wheel mouse if you don't already have one - use the wheel for switching weapons

9. Don't run in straight lines - strafe a little while running and don't always go down the center of halls

10. Jumpboots - always get them (if available) and keep them turned on, this will let you avoid incoming projectiles and gives you more choices on where to go

11. Consider upgrading to a Voodoo card - it makes a big difference (I speak from experience with a Rage Pro)

12. Learn and practice combo - combo has many advantages but don't over use it, if you get the combo down where you can do it while running your kills will go WAY up

13. One of the most important of all - its a game, have fun

14. Keep looking around - remember to watch your back

Good luck!!!
/~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Nashgatr

Jan 24, 2000
Chicago, IL, USA
Visit site
Callisto and drumber, thanks for the replies.

Callisto,

A few more questions if you don't mind.

1. You spoke of a combo and not to overuse it but if I am able to do it while running my kills will go up. Excuse my ignorance but what is this?

2. In order to strafe you must be moving forward but also be moving side to side. Is this an advantage of the wheel mouse? I would think the wheel would be used to go forward while the left and right arrow keys are for strafing? As it stands now I use the up arrow key to move forward and when moving sideways can go in no other direction.

Thanks for your time.

Bugman

Dec 8, 1999
Visit site
Don't believe it, now some of my followers really got hooked and try by themselves.

Really a clever way, informing people on how to play UT and show 'em in that hidden way how good UT is,...

...respect /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/biggrin.gif /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

drumber

Nov 10, 1999
North Hollywood, Ca., USA
LOL...don't blow my cover. I've been sworn to secrecy on my mission. /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

nashgatr, the combo is shooting an altfire shot with the ASMD then hitting it with the primary fire. It causes a bigger explosion and more damage. Strafing is moving side to side but you should also be able to move forward or backward while your strafing. Not sure why you can't do that, maybe try some different keys for movement. The most common setup seems to be the W A S D keys.

W=forward
A=strafe left
S=backward
D=strafe right

This way you've got more keys closer to bind for other actions. If you don't like it you can always change back. Mainly that suggestion is to see if it fixes the problem of you not being able to move forward while you're strafing.

Callisto may have some better info for you but I figured since I'm here...

Good luck.

Callisto

Adept
Jan 13, 2000
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Drumber is right about what the combo is (ASMD alt fire then primary fire to shoot the plasma ball). It is very deadly and can even kill someone with the sheildbelt in just one shot. When it is done right you will see a pink/purple ring.

It sounds like changing your movement keys could be the most help to you at this point. You say that you are using the arrows now which is OK but the left and right arrows should be set for strafing and not for turning. Strafing is moving side to side without changing the direction you are facing and can be done while standing or while running.

So you use the forward and back arrows to "go" and the mouse to "steer". But you can use the left and right arrows to strafe at the same time as going forward. With just a little practice you will be able to make a circle around a point (or opponent) without taking the crosshairs off it.

As for the wheel on the mouse, I use it for changing weapons. Moving it one way rotates to the next weapon in your rotation and moving it the other way switches to the previous weapon.

Any more questions or clarifications just ask.

Let me know when you will be playing sometime so we can get it a game together. That way will make some of the things easier to understand. My email address is above.

P.S. - My rating here is Novice but I have been playing this game for over a year.

/~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
I would suggest my control mechanism but I think that anyone else who tried it would hate it!

bullet2.gif

Hellscrag, Unreal single player nut :) , a.k.a. [SkW]Deathwish in DM.
Email me hellscrag@lineone.net
Check my website http://surf.to/scragsite for Unreal Walkthroughs and other cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.