i need some LAN-ish help!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

AriTheDog

frog steering expert
May 6, 2001
USA
Visit site
ok.

here's the scene.

two computers. each with its own ethernet card.

one big cable.

can i make a mini LAN to play UT with only this equipment?

redef

G$I Guy
Aug 4, 2001
BC, CANADA
www.planetunreal.com
where did the cable come from?

crossovers are normally used to connect two switches, or something similar...which is why you *probably* don't have one. (you probably have a standard ethernet cable)

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
They come in all colors Ari, so that doesn't help much. But go down to your local comp store, you should be able to get a hub and a second cable for $50 or so. Maybe less maybe more, I'm not sure.

Shouldn't your custom status be: "Dog-like?" :D

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
check the LAN advice at PU/OsX -- it's about LANning a Mac, but it's relevant to PCs too.
I'm guessing from your IP thread you want to find out what you & yr friend's IP is -- you don't need to. For a LAN, YOU tell the PC what ip you want it to be.
check yr Network control panel. get the properties for yr Ethernet card up -- under the Bindings tab make sure that TCP/IP is checked.
(go to www.grc.com for a really good explanation of what all those things are & what bindings are)

Under win98 you'll get an item in the main Network panel list called:
TCP/IP -> {name of yr ethernet card}

go to the properties for this item & set your IP there.

AriTheDog

frog steering expert
May 6, 2001
USA
Visit site
naw, i know i don't need the ip for the LAN.

he ended up going home, and didn't know his ip, adn we wanted to pay a game. too bad he has aol dial-up. heh.

thanks for the help though!