Trivia

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BrownCow

I Heart Gnat.
Jun 18, 2000
A player with a 250 ping has an advantage over a player with a 60 ping in UT/INF. Do you know why?

This is true, if you don't understand then don't post, read the answers and learn a thing or two. I wanna see how many programming design buffs we got.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
I am not even going to PRETEND to understand... but I want to know... Doesn't UT scale network packets sent to the clients? Say one person pings at 400 and another at 100... the server then adjusts the amount of information sent to all clients somehow...? I heard this somewhere but I am not sure if it applies to this topic...

Sorry for replying without knowing much about programming...

Antedeluge

I survived the flood of 2000 B.C.
Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Well since the data rate between the high pinger and the server is slower than the data rate between the low pinger and the server, the position of the high pinger isn't updated as frequently. This results in the high pinger kind of skipping along and the low pinger moving smoothly along, and it's a lot easier to shoot a smooth moving target.

Edit: It's not so much the ping as it is the packet rate. Most high ping players are on dialup and are incapable of sustaining a high packet rate and thus are prone to skipping behavior. Between 2 broadband users capable of high packet rates the lower pinged player has the advantage because the higher pinged player has their shots delayed but still moves quite smoothly.

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Well...from what I remember...

The players don't "Skip" around when you have a high ping, as I have played on 56k before. You just have to lead shots ahead of them, they still move smooth. The only time you'll see skipping players is PacketLoss. UT, I believe, uses UDP. In TCP, it will keep trying to send packets that are lost, which causes big lag pauses. But in UDP, it's not so much as a stickler, and will not resend those packets, which causes the skips. At least that's what I understand.

But anyways, that's for packetloss.

For ping, Justin the "scaling" of packets is done via "net speed xxxx" I believe...you can set it to anything you want. But if, for example, you are on 56k and you set it too high, you are going to be flooded with information and your modem can't keep up. I think. (these are all "I think's")

One thing I think I remember hearing a while ago is that UT sends the vectors of the player movements. Now, one way that high pingers can get screwed over is from dodging. If you have a really high ping, and someone dodges around a corner, this can lead to deaths where you don't even see the person before they kill you. That might be total BS, but that's what I'm remembering.

Also, the lower pingers have an advantage because they don't have to A) Lead so much or B) Lead at all. Even playing on 56k for multiple years, in the heat of a situation you can forget to lead your shots on occaison.

Um wow. I just re-read the message...You are saying the HIGHER pinger has the advantage? I really don't think that's true unless you are playing with the ZeroPing mod :)

ragingsamster

oldfartis nongratis
Jun 4, 2001
Washington
Visit site
I think I know (tranlates to: waiting to get shmacked)

I've experienced this and it SUCKS! HERES the Theory:

The "positional updates" from someone with a fast ping are "psuedo-cached" while they wait to be transferred to the slow pinger, when they do, the position of the fast pinger and slow pinger are validated with each other. Although the fast pinger has moved a certain distance on his machine, the mutually validated position takes precidence<sp> and pops the fast pinger back to the validated position, causing various four letter words to be output from the fast pinger.

This is just a theory, and if any Infprogrammers want to chime in on this I'D appreciate it big time.