Spyware = ping spikes????

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JJaX

Sup Big Perm, I mean Worm
Mar 23, 2001
NJ
www.thedirtydozenclan.com
I play UT on cable modem, and i get great pings most the time 50-100.
But many times my ping will leap to 1000-1500.
Could this be caused by people trying to use spyware like subseven trying to hack into my computer. I installed nortons firewall and i get about 2 to 3 Subseven trojan alerts a day. And i noticed yesterday i disabled the firewall and my ping would spike every couple of minutes. Does anyone know for a fact that Spyware can eat up bandwith and cause this?????

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Spyware are actually programs that are usually hidden within another program, that send information about your computer/it's use to someone else. A lot of times you'll find them in utilities, or popular things like screen savers or themes. AdAware will take care of them.

But you've also referred to trojans and people scanning your ports. That's a whole different ballgame. Anything taking up resources, or flooding your computer can affect it's performance, though I'm not sure what effect it would have on pings in-game.

Keep in mind that not everything reported by NAV as a subseven attack is actually just that.

lunchblaze

Codlike
Jul 31, 2000
East Fort Sp0rkville
jjax,

i have the exact same problem. for months i've suspected a bad router at my first hop (that's the one that shows as spiking on a tracert).

recently, i ran across [DK]Palyntir who happens to live like 2 miles from me - and hits the exact same hops i do - and has no problems.

therefore, i'm thinking the problem is at my house - so i'm focusing on the following:

bad modem
bad splitter at box
bad nic (although i've tried 2 different ones)
indian burial ground under my house.

i'll let you know if any of those turn out to be the case.
if you get any further on your spyware thing, please let me know as well.

thanks.

out.

JJaX

Mar 23, 2001
NJ
yeah i also noticed in my SYSTEMS tab in UT i get many flood protections or something of that nature. (not sure what the actually line says cuz im at work) But ill check it it post a reply when i get the message again.

JJaX

Mar 23, 2001
NJ
But like i said, when i run the firewall program my pings stay real low. But when i disbale it i have a 50% cahnce that my ping will be 1000+
So i bealive that someone is eating up my resources when there spying on me.

Rev.Whoopass

Sperm Bot
Aug 5, 2000
Connecticut
Visit site
I use NIS too,and get 70-100 trojan/sub7 "blocked "messeges a day.Most are programs that are used to udp flood,or ping,and NIS sees them as sub7's.

Cable modems are asynchronious,and you will get spikes,even if there is no one trying to ping you.I ping like 40-55 on wes' 650 ctf server,and every know and then spike to 150 for 30 seconds or so.It happens to everyone.

lunchblaze

Codlike
Jul 31, 2000
East Fort Sp0rkville
hahaha,
rev, rev, rev...

fermez la bouche!!!

you know nussink of pink spikes!!

i scoff at your 150 ms spikes.

try this:

most servers i get about 160 ms on f6,
no less than 3 times per map, my ping spikes to anywhere from 2000-8000 ms and packet loss in excess of 500%.

i can't scoff hard enough at 150 ms ping spikes.

lol!

st00b.

out.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
There's also several possibilities for ping spikes, other than problems with your network.

Spyware, which are programs that report marketing data back to companies, will upload on a predefined schedule, but these updates are usually further apart than other types of uploads.

Adware, which are any programs that display ads within them, especially download managers, get new ads all the time, and if you have the program in your taskbar to the right, it could be downloading during your game.

Virusscanners, background changers, etc, also do periodic tasks, which take up just enough of your CPU time to cause a bit of lag.