thoughts on unexploded 203 kills

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
okay, this sorta popped into my head last night but i haven't had a chance to post it until now... anyways, all i ask is that you hear me out... :)
alrighty, here goes:
i know one of the m203 beefs is the fact that it kills even when it's too close for the fuze to arm... here's my thought, though: too close to arm in game terms (at least according to one of the official things i've read) is 14m (IRL it's 14-27m)... now think about it: i can't recall the muzzle velocity of the 40mm grenade, but at that range getting hit by a 40mm projectile could quite possibly put you out of the fight, depending on where you're hit...

now, if you've ever fired an m203 IRL, you'll know that there's some surprising recoil on that sucker...

anyways, i remember reading a documented incident of a seal platoon who had an NVA prisoner in their posession, and during a rest period one of them accidentally launched a 40mm from the m79 he was carrying, and the projectile hit the NVA prisoner in the chest at almost pointblank range... it not only knocked the NVA on his back, it quite literally knocked him out cold... i think he also suffered several fractured ribs...

now anyways, as has already been pointed out, being dead in infiltration can cover incapacitation as well, since, as i think it was yurch pointed out "getting hit in the foot with a robar won't kill you"... so is it really that unrealistic that a close range hit from an unexploded 40mm wouldn't take you out of the fight?

as i said, just a thought... :)

Hannibal1

Forever sig-less
Jun 14, 2000
Visit site
agreed

I agree completely with LoTekk: a 40mm at close range taken in the head or chest would incapacitate, and in Inf incapacitation is equal to death in all respects.

Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by c+k|nEVeRmOre
Why not just incapcitate, or force feign death with no view. After a predetermined time, you can get back up if no one killed you while you were out cold :) I think that would be preferable to being killed out right.

rounds arent long enough for you to wake up in general and you'd be bord withless if you had to wait with nothing to watch

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Still needs some tweaking though, It seems it hurts the same whenever it touches you...
I have seen one(unexploded) kill three in chasm.
Bounced off one guy's head(I can understand that)
Hit another guy on the back...
hit a wall,
And barely touched the last guy (who was prone)
Tell me that isnt absurd.

c+k|nEVeRmOre

~A.K.A. wesley_sniper~
I tried firing one for splash damage off a wall to hit someon under the catwalk below me who I could not hit with a rifle. I slightly misjudged my distance and it bounce off the wall and killed him without exploding. I really do not think it would have hurt him that much after bouncing off a wall :hmm:

LoTekK

Peon
Jul 26, 2001
Washington, DC
eww, i wasn't aware of the bouncing kills... :con: in that case that definitely needs fixing... i still stand by the initial hit incapacitating, however (which in inf=dead)...

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
First, he fell on his ass because of muscle reactions, not from the grenade impact itself (the grenade doesn't have enough momentum to knock an adult human down, simply physics).

Also, the reaction he did have would be different for every person. Some people may do what he did, others may just turn around and shoot you in the face (with paint of course, but they could still do it).

Since he was a prisoner, he most likely wasn't wearing anything but a shirt at the time. In INF we are wearing multiple layers with backpacks and belt/shoulder harnesses. These would all slow down the impact of the grenade by a few split seconds. Doesn't sound like a few few split seconds but when it comes to impacts such as this, even a few hundreths of a second make a HUGE difference in the force felt by the target.

I would say that a headshot with a grenade should kill, not other dud grenade should kill and the damage for such hits should be GREATLY reduced, taking away maybe 1/3 health instead of all of it. A bounce should do only minor damage such as 1/8 or 1/10 or even none at all, and multiple bounces should do absolutely no damage whatsoever even if it hits the head. While SOME people would suffer greater effects than those MANY people would not, and since this would significantly reduce the benefits of using grenade launchers in CQB situations I think we can safely assume that the trained INF soldiers would be of the tougher variety of human and would not be incapacitated by such a hit.