Am I in big trouble???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

maor

TINGTOINK!
Mar 7, 2001
Angeles City, Pampanga
Visit site
I've been doing some maps of my own in Half-life; Deus Ex; and of course UT. The thing is I'm also "playing around with their window interface. I would change the look at start up; I would change the names of the menus...edit scripts/codes; I practically customize the look of the game in my own image and likeness...
Am I in big trouble?

Am I violating anything by doing this? I'm also planning of releasing these MODS commercially. What would be the implications of my actions?

If I will need to license it, how much would it cost me? What would be the terms and conditions?

Hope you could help me with my questions.

Thanks in advance
:D :D :D

ZodiaK

irresponsible walrus
Feb 14, 2000
onboard The Mothership
ameba.lpt.fi
if you really are planning to release a mod commercially, you'll probably need some sort of a licence, and i bet they don't come cheap.

Just wondering, who the hell would be willing to PAY for a MOD when things such as Infiltration and Counter-Strike can be dl'd for free (unless you've coded something like, say...Gunman Chronicles by yourself). I can't say without seeing your stuff how good it is, I'm just saying it should be REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD until anyone is going to pay even a buck for it. Gunman had a semi-professional team behind it, and even then it wasn't very good.

If you're just planning to release them in public distribution (like mods normally are), then it's a different matter and should have no problems.

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
You arent violating anything as long as you do not release it commercially. If you are going to release it commercially then you will need a license and I am guessing it would cost in the neihborhood of $200,000 to licence the Unreal engine. I know Quake2's engine is $125,000 and the Quake1 engine is free unless you dont want to be limited by the GPL then it is $10,000.

If you tried to release them commercially without a licence you would be sued for sure.

If you had a licence and you used any of Epic's textures or models or any of the UT content I am sure you would be sued unless the license specifically gave you permission.

I am pretty sure the license only gives you the engine and the basic scripts. You have to create all content including all models and textures yourself.

cool breeze

Yea, thats really me!
You will not be able to release it (legally) without permission.
Lets look at it this way. WHY would they give you the right to make money off something they created. This is an engine like no other, and if it were mine and someone took it, made a few changes and tried to sell it, I'D KILL!!! I REALLY dont think it will happen. The law suits will be staggering without the lawful attainment of (RIGHTS TO MARKET). Be careful!

quitgrin1

Demon Like
Jul 31, 2000
Nowhere
www.geocities.com
cool breeze´s right.. if you release mods commercially, EPIC will not like that.. they will might even put a lawsuit against you!... you´l have to pay the license fee for the engine.. to do what you want to do.. if you want to release a mod, release it for free.. that way.. people will actually download your work... adn if it´s good, (and if you have luck) a publisher or somebody will see that you have talent.. and will probably offer you to make a game. I think that happened with GUNMAN chronicles..

GRINGOLOCO

ZodiaK

irresponsible walrus
Feb 14, 2000
onboard The Mothership
ameba.lpt.fi
yep...Gunman was funded & supervised by Valve after they recognized it could become something.

And I'd like to emphasize again, unless you have something really spectacular, you're not going to make money with it, even with the licences and everything. A simple mod is not something people will pay for.