PDA

View Full Version : camping in ctf

|BoD|Solo
31st Jul 2001, 04:46 PM
ok guys.. here's a real teaser thats got me stumped...... in insta ctf when does defending become camping. I play for a clan in wars and have been accused of being a door camper. Ialso practice my defence in the publics and have been called a camper for trying to hone my meagre skills. Now at what point does it become camping and who actually decides it is or isnt. I hope someone can help me cuz i'm soooo confused .

Gamma_Sword
31st Jul 2001, 04:52 PM

According to professional PuFers here: In CTF there is no such thing as camping; but there are some behaviors that are not tolerated - such as spawn sniping and impact hammer portal camping.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some here, but in CTF there really isn't a thing called camping.

In my definition, camping is something where a person is making cheap easy kills by giving the opponent no chance to react; such is the case with spawn sniping and impact hammer portal camping.

Hell, some n00bs even say defending the flag is camping... :rolleyes:

That's all I have to say on this matter.

Phaeta1733
31st Jul 2001, 04:53 PM
camping is an integral part of ctf, as long as it's not next to a portal or with spawnspots zoomed in for headshots.

i wouldn't even call it camping; i would say "optimal defensive positioning." if the people you're playing against don't like it, that's because the don't have enough skill to remove you from the position.

Seph64
31st Jul 2001, 04:54 PM
Well technically staying in one place is camping, but it shouldn't be complained about if you are just defending the flag. You can't defend the flag if you are half way to the enemies base and getting closer to the enemy base. So, camping in a CTF to defend your own flag shouldn't be a problem.

DeaJae
31st Jul 2001, 05:04 PM
i consider crouching and stilling still camping. real defense try dodgin.

coolbrz73
31st Jul 2001, 05:11 PM
I run offense most of the time on CTF and nothing pisses me off more than a guy waiting at the flag to kill me :D (I'll remember next trip) But it does upset me, not the fact that he is standing there waiting to kill me, but the fact that I fell for it ;) In my opinion, there is no camping in CTF (except for the spawn and portal mentioned above), I chalk it up to good defense. Best way to ensure no one gets a cap....don't let them touch your flag :D

SU3000
31st Jul 2001, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by |BoD|Solo
ok guys.. here's a real teaser thats got me stumped...... in insta ctf when does defending become camping. I play for a clan in wars and have been accused of being a door camper. Ialso practice my defence in the publics and have been called a camper for trying to hone my meagre skills. Now at what point does it become camping and who actually decides it is or isnt. I hope someone can help me cuz i'm soooo confused .

Current Holder of the "Happy Camper Award" is Prophetus. The trick when camping (or 'defending' as people say) is to search out a spot where you can "make cheap easy kills by giving the opponent no chance to react", but not dying too much, one should also move camp once in a while, as to confuse opponents trying to smoke you out. If you do this correctly (I think you have), people will begin to curse & call you names. This will be your greatest reward. What they actually mean is that your defense is so tight they get extremely frustrated with it and have no other weapon left except for their mouth. You just basically should totally ignore these people and continue with your game.

|BoD|Solo
31st Jul 2001, 05:39 PM
muchos gracias to all who have responded to the thread. I personally am of the opinion that only the dirty rotten spawn killing scum (they make me sooooooo angry) and the impact hammer lingerer are really the only type of camping. So with this general consensus of opinion i shall defend my flag with my life knowing that only a small minority of limited skill players will call a tight defence a camping spot.......

TWD
31st Jul 2001, 05:46 PM
Actually i think that if you position yourself in a position so that you get cheap kills and give your opponet no time to react in any game is camping. Now if your waiting in a stratigic position so that you can surprize them when they come by that is ok like the water in red base of november. They can still react but they don't konw where you come from.

I_B_Bangin
31st Jul 2001, 06:35 PM
I am not as concerned with "WHAT" camping is. I know what camping is. I am more concerned about "HOW" my campsite looks. :D Call me vain!

http://users.rcn.com/briz9/camper.jpg

BishopASJ
31st Jul 2001, 07:15 PM
GODDAMMIT!!!!!

IBB, don't do that anymore!

I laughed so hard Pepsi came spewing out my nose and it hurt like a sonuvabitch!

Argh!@$@#!

Hellbilly
31st Jul 2001, 11:14 PM
Now that's camping done right! :D

Smid
1st Aug 2001, 04:36 AM
The word "camping" comes from the unsporting habit
in the original doom which is effectively spawn killing.

Someone used the humourous phrase "camping" because it means staying in the same place.

However, in CTF, you've lost if nobody stays in the base. Period. So someone *has* to stay in the same place.

Moving around when staying inside the base is irrelevant.

People don't understand the phrase. It is especially llama attackers who don't know how to take a flag, and flush a defense out (how about using two players? Teamplay? Heeeeellllo? Can you hear me? Nope, you're too busy flag whoring and getting killed).

There is no camping in capture the flag. It doesn't apply. Its a weak insult for defending the flag. CTF is *NOT* deathmatch. Go and play deathmatch if you think theres camping in CTF.

Smid

]Bs[~Bull}{Dog~
1st Aug 2001, 05:26 AM
the only camping in insta ctf i hate is crouch camping and door camping..

door camping is where u wait for a door to open then hit fire.. before the other guy even knows the door is open he is dead, i cant STAND people that do that, if i see some 1 on my team do that and team damage is on i kill em, same goes for when i see some 1 spawn caming. face is just as bad if not worse in instagib than with sniper rifles

crouching is where u get people hiding around corners crouched so they cant be hit properly. no this 1 isnt as bad until it is combined.. either with the door camping or using clipping bugs to make yourself invisible.

ive seen crouching done well, decent players will get a chase, crouch round a corner then BOOM no more players chasing :D

as for all other types of camping they dont matter too much in CTF as its not the kills (that most campers seem to go for) that are important. if they want to wait by a tekeporter just use a different way in and that team has 1 less player defending.

BullDog
1st Aug 2001, 08:16 AM
I am a defence player and quite frankly I don't care if someone calls me a camper or not...my job is to stop the flag being taken and return it if it has. I will do this in any way I can. If it means deemer suicide - so be it. If it means hiding behind the wall struts in Coret - so be it.

Call me a camper and I will laugh in your face. Call me lame then that's a fair comment. Call me a sniping scumbag then ok. Attackers need to figure away around these kinds of defence tactics...don't be bitchin' at me if you can't find a way to get me or the flag :D

My advice to attackers:
Don't get caught up in a 1on1 fight...your job is to get flag...if you stop off for a quick game of DM with me, it means you have failed. DM with me after you have the flag or better still let your support do it.

The other night I had 3 people tryna kill me whilst I translocated like mad. I was killed eventually but what they failed to notice was my colleague slipping quietly away with their flag cause they were so intent on killing me - LMAO! :D
I was only a distraction...no intention of going for the flag what-so-ever. Worked well.

Use the translocator a lot - improves your chance of suvival 10fold. You can usually draw a 'camping' defender out of his spot with it...or telefrag 'em when they are crouching. I have been caught like that many times myself. :(

Remember this...if you are attacking and kill another attacker along the way...it means 1 more temporary defender when you go into base. Spawn points are, after all, contained within the base you are running into. Kill someone now and run into them 10 seconds later with full health and even armour? Not a good idea is it? Specially if they damaged you a little on the way.

You have to train yourself out of DM tactics 'kill everything that moves'. Your one focus is the flag.
Best defence there is, is having your opponents flag. So get it at all costs to stop them capping

The only bad tactic I know is blocking the lift on Command in an insta game - thats not moral...in nw it's not an issue.
Spawn sniping and piston camping I am totally against too...goes without saying.

Flare123
1st Aug 2001, 09:01 AM
just ignore the people that call you a camper in CTF games. there just sore losers because they cant get the flag from you and your team.

and I promise you if you go over to the other teams base they will be camping there to defending there flag, so that team has no arugement.

BullDog
1st Aug 2001, 10:11 AM
Flare123

that's so TRUE man! spot on....

next time someone calls u a camper take a stroll down to the nme base and see what their defence is up to. Probably find it's far worse than what u were doing.

So long as their flag stays home they wouldn't care about their own defence 'camping'.

rhakka
1st Aug 2001, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by [DFL]BullDog

The only bad tactic I know is blocking the lift on Command in an insta game - thats not moral...in nw it's not an issue.
Spawn sniping and piston camping I am totally against too...goes without saying.

I've always been curious about why teams hate this. Can't you just shoot the guy campng the lift? what's the problem with that?

Robot TinMan|BuF
1st Aug 2001, 06:01 PM
Where's Dopey?
We need a camping TCD. :D

BullDog
2nd Aug 2001, 03:07 AM
...just a personal opinion but....

it is using a flaw in a map to an unfair advantage...what if theres 2 of you? It can stop an attack dead - with no skills really needed. Even if you manage to dis-lodge the lift stopper...wheres he gonna respawn? Right back in the place you are going and you still have to go up the lift and over the slopes to the flag area - plenty of time for a second line defence.

That lift should go thru' players like it does on Terra.
I like Command but it is seriously flawed and well documented here.

Terminal {DTH}
2nd Aug 2001, 03:12 AM
I'll door camp in insta, you bet your @ss! small doorway, get as close as i can and as soon as it opens, BOOM! hey, if THEY cant remember im there when they come back that is THIER problem. I call it a good defensive stragidy.
There ARE ways around the door campers if the attackers is smart & quick enough. ( ive had people many times get around me when i was in that position.... whoopie. they were ANTICIPATING. live, play, Learn, get better.)

and that's ALL i got to say on that subject. (except that yeah, even I consider spawn killing is lame as HELL. be it from a respawn or hiding near a teleporter waiting for incommers with your weapon trained JUST whare they will apear for maximum effect at most optimum distance. that is something i will NOT do, no matter the bleeding circumstances if it makes you feel better.)

Terminal {DTH}
2nd Aug 2001, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by Robot TinMan|PuF
Where's Dopey?
We need a camping TCD. :D

Tisk Tinman.... you KNOW that no TCD is "legit" until CS puts his stamp of aprovial on it. :p

DeeperShade
2nd Aug 2001, 03:28 AM
Dontcha mean SC?

Anyway, With CTF I work by 1 rule and 1 rule only... That there flag, MY flag, the flag which has been assigned to me, Is not going to leave that there stand.. Got that? You come in my base acting all big and hard with ya flak cannons and ya rocket launchers but it aint gonna help you, cos ive got the power of greyskull behind me... I have the POWER! MWAH HA HA HA HA!!!

/me goes to take his pills for the third time this morning.

Terminal {DTH}
2nd Aug 2001, 03:37 AM
whatever. :p its late, im tired. cut me some slack man. :rolleyes: :p

Smid
2nd Aug 2001, 09:55 AM
While it is kind of lame, door camping is still a valid tactic in insta CTF (like in Niven).

Don't come through the centre of the door attackers. Simple as that. If you are so stupid to keep coming in the same way, then thats your fault.

Indeed the following phrase does apply:

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Smid

F}{ZaGhost}{F
2nd Aug 2001, 10:14 AM
I'll agree most others... there is NO camping in CTF with the exception of spawn points.....

Door camping... theree is always a way around it... worse case get a teammate to run in front and you take out the camper..or vice-versa

Learn the opposing tactics and adapt

REeeE{skullface}
2nd Aug 2001, 10:19 AM
Hell YEAH!!!

Power of Grayskull and sh!T ;)

MAN-E-FACES!!!

Thanks for the reference DS.

Re

Cryognosis
2nd Aug 2001, 10:20 AM
what kind of newbies are you playing?!

i can easily take a lose (i always loose! :D and so i learned to deal with it... ...and sometimes brag over it) but if you do something completly lame then i understand...

but you dont seem to be repawn camping since your right next to the flag (it's impossible on most maps to respawn camp while at your base unless if your killing your own teammates)

tip 1 when using redeemers: 95% of the time when you take out the flag carrier thats at almost melee range with you,you will die with him (unless if a mod pervents self-inflicted damage)

:redflag: :redeemer:

JJaX
2nd Aug 2001, 10:56 AM
Bulldog you bring up a good point about killing Attackers and having temp defenders. Im strictly an offensive player, and if i see a mid-range or offense enemy i wound him good and translocate further into there base, Or i take em out and beat them to where they stock up on weapons. For example in november, Ill take out someone and i notice he had a rocket launcher, ill try to get into there base a steal all there ammo and frag them again b4 they can get back to there rocket launcher. I like to pester NME Defenses. If its heavily guarded i will try to ware them down with hit and run tactics until help arrives. If defense is only like 2 guys, Ill run in snag the flag, make them chase me to a choak point and drop 6 rockets on there asses. Ive also tried out Defense at times, my technique is cheap but works. Make it look like the base is empty, you know there gonna run over to the flag, let thme pick it Up, then come out of no where with rockets blasting. Gets em 80% of the time. :)

Maximumoverkill
2nd Aug 2001, 11:50 AM
I camp, and i will continue to camp.
I camp at my flag or the enemies flag, until someone kills me then i chase them down and kill them, then i go back to camping.
the Game Mode i play is LGI, and I do Spawn camp, usualy from Far Away since i can hit the targets, Rarely do i find a place where i can spawn camp at the Spawn point so it rarely happens because our mode of gameplay is so fast you usually don't have tim to spawn camp. One Eception is CTF-DDay & CTF-FreeSpace, it is a spawn camp Fest. So I defend my flag by camping, and if your skilled enough in LGI, you can kill me b4 i kill you. Don't Wine if you can't shoot me quick enough. As for camping in other modes of game play that is a diff. story.

Terminal {DTH}
2nd Aug 2001, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Smid
door camping is still a valid tactic in insta CTF (like in Niven).
Don't come through the centre of the door attackers. Simple as that. If you are so stupid to keep coming in the same way, then thats your fault.
indeed the following phrase does apply:
"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Smid

WELL said smid! :D

namu
2nd Aug 2001, 03:04 PM
Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt... There is no such thing as Camping in CTF

http://namu.free.fr/campered.jpg :D

REeeE{skullface}
2nd Aug 2001, 03:22 PM
NAAAAAAAMMMMMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

re