Internet Virus To Be Released at 8:00 PM Tommorow

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
You guys here about this? The Code Red virus? It was just on the news. You can download protection and learn more about it at Microsoft.com. Here is a quote right from Microsoft:

On July 19, the Code Red worm infected more than 250,000 systems in just 9 hours. The worm scans the Internet, identifies vulnerable systems, and infects these systems by installing itself. Each newly installed worm joins all the others causing the rate of scanning to grow rapidly. This uncontrolled growth in scanning directly decreases the speed of the Internet and can cause sporadic but widespread outages among all types of systems. Code Red is likely to start spreading again on July 31st, 2001 8:00 PM EDT and has mutated so that it may be even more dangerous. This spread has the potential to disrupt business and personal use of the Internet for applications such as electronic commerce, email and entertainment.

Luckily if you get it, it will just slow down your internet activity, and it can be removed by just turning your system off and then back on. It is supposed to mutate in later months and is targeting big businesses and web servers such as the white house website. Pretty messed up!

Satsu

Nov 20, 1999
place
Who's operating system sucks? Usually people who have WinMe. GD, that OS is the biggest pile of shit. It eats system resources while idle, I've seen this on 3 different systems run by different people. My dad's computer now runs like crap because he decided to update to WinMe.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
yeah, well we don't have to deal with some mutation of a worm, so eat us ;)

it doesn't hog resources as bad as some think, why is it I have ME and have 85% free? Hmmm, the travesty.....

I'm just glad I don't have to deal with it. /me does the dance of much joy

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Originally posted by Satsu
Who's operating system sucks? Usually people who have WinMe. GD, that OS is the biggest pile of shit. It eats system resources while idle, I've seen this on 3 different systems run by different people. My dad's computer now runs like crap because he decided to update to WinMe.

That's probably because you have System Restore, PC Health, Task monitor, Scheduling agent and other crap running. Turn them off and you will see how good Me is...

Not saying Win2k is crap, but I like my Win ME and never had any problems (since I disable all that bull crap).

People who use WinMe don't like Win2k because they don't know how to tweak it. Same goes for those who hate Win Me and use Win2k. I've used both, and prefer Win Me for my games.

If you had Win Me and hated it...well...it's operator error.

Taker

UT Junkie
Originally posted by Satsu

WinMe has run more Stable for me than 98 or Se ever did.
As far as the systems eating up resources goes, That will happen if the System Restore feature is on. By adjusting(tweaking)a few settings in Me, I have my Norton Anti-Virus,Auto Ea, and Disc Detector all loading on start up and still have 94% system resources free.I have to disagree that Win ME ....."is the biggest pile of shit". I think ME should of been a free patch for 98se,but I guess Bill gates needed more money. :rolleyes:
To become better informed about how to set up ME to give you better performance and run more Stable click on the links Below and look for Tweaking Win ME.I was not to impressed with ME at first.I did some tweaking to the OS and found it to be a lot more stable 95,98 or 98se ever were.
:D
3DSpotlight
Tweak 3d

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Where's SC to tell us it doesn't affect Linux, Unix, or any other 'nix flavor? :D

2 words:

FeAR ME!

(WinME) ... hehe.. gotta love it. Runs perfect on my 4 home PC's and 2 at my friends place - as Proph and Taker said, it's all about setting it up properly. Heck, even the upgrades work well!

Oh yeah, did I mention I maintain over 120 PC's at work, so I'd like to think my position on this is pretty well qualified. :D

<---- w00t! 4900'th non-spammin post!

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
luckely i still use 98 Se
i had to uninstall win me, since my ctrl alt del, didn't work anymore !!! and my disk drive was detected as removable, well it is removable but not recommended,
sorry, but imo win me sucks big time

Ming the Merciless

Cold Turkey!
May 21, 2001
Planet Stone Cold Sober
Visit site
Clearing this up

Just to clear a few misconceptions up. Code Red affects W2K and NT4.0. It exploits a weakness in IIS 4.0 and IIS 5.0 and the Indexing Service 2.0. This worm is a hack and a patch is available from microsoft.So it won't affect Unix based systems, additionally it will really only affect servers and w2k machines.
Hope this clears things up a little.
On a side note all I have had all day today is customers phoning asking about the code red virus. Grrr!
Ah well back to work.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
Essentially, it will not affect any machines not running MS IIS.

If you do not run the Microsoft IIS webserver, regardless of what operaing system you run (9x, 2000, NT, Linux, BeOS, Solaris, MS-DOS, whatever) then you will not get this worm.

For more information, please reference any of the thousands of web articles on this MS IIS webserver worm, such as this one.

And GameSpy does know about the worm, as it took out Planet B&W for a couple of hours last week.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
You wouldn't be the first to believe that Anti-Virus companies such as Symantic (Norton Antivirus) and Network Associates (Mcaffee Antivrius) have pressured Microsoft into only fixing the symptoms of current virii and not fixing the core problems in their operating system and therefore killing off much of their business.

It's a sad state of affairs where Palm Pilot virii have surfaced, leading to releases of PDA Anti-Virus programs by both developers.

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
Yup and cell phones are next. Hell with the 3G cell phone technology you'll have enough bandwidth for a virus to spread just as fast.

As far as the Symantec and Network Associates thing, it almost seems obvious, but then no one wants to make false accusations. :rolleyes: